dismiss

Athenian democracy by John Thorley

Athenian democracy (edition 1996)

by John Thorley

This pamphlet outlines the development and operation of Athenian democracy to the end of the fifth century BC. Separate sections examine the prelude to democracy, the emergence of a democratic system, and the way this system worked in practice. A final section focuses on the questions: how should we judge the success of Athenian democracy? who benefitted? was it an efficient system of government? in what sense was Athenian democracy the forerunner of modern democracies?… (more)
Member:aleph123
Title:Athenian democracy
Authors:John Thorley
Info:London, Routledge, 1996
Collections:Games and Simulation and related, NextPolitics, Reviewed, Your library
Rating:***

Athenian Democracy by John Thorley

Somebody could say that this book is just a summary

in #Italy, everybody routinely quotes #Athens and #democracy- having roughly what they remember from high school

I would assume that reading different interpretations, ancient and modern, an aggregate of thousands of pages, isn't a pre-requisite to get inspired by or refer to prior examples

and I too, despite all my readings on cultures, organizations, history since I was a kid (my first self-purchased books at 9 were on archeology and cultures)...

...keep finding new perspectives that sometimes provide just funny cameos, sometimes help to ask questions in a different way

but at least a modicum of overview could be useful

so, I went through to find something could be a kind of "Wikipedia+" on this subject, as many books that I read in libraries or purchased since I was a teenager, when I decided to buy not just what I liked, abut also what could be "shareble" to quickly have a level playing field

what is a "wikipedia+"? it is a books that is a digest, but also an entry point toward further material- so, like a Wikipedia article, but roughly around 100 pages long (or less, if feasible)- a meta-book (a book about books)

yes, that was the concept about my own mini-books published since 2012 (and the predecessor e-zine on change 2003-2005, where the target was 20-40 pages, as it was originally a quarterly)

but when looking for "wikipedia+" books, I look for something focused on a single theme (yes, the "PUF Que sais-je?" model was something I got used to while in high school- my approach was political action&march, and after each march... dig into a library on whatever came through my mind, or to get deeper into what was just hinted at school)

this short book, while sometimes is a little bit too "dry", gives both a quick overview (78 pages, plus maps, plus Trivial Pursuit-style tables on "Kleisthenic tribes, trittyes, demes and Council members" and "Ostracisms") and a commented bibliography

[Review released on 2020-06-11] ( )
  aleph123 | Jun 11, 2020 |
Although relatively short, this is an excellent overview to Athenian democracy and the main characters involved in bringing it to fruition in Athens; especially as it existed during the 'Golden Age' of Athens (480 - 404 BCE).
  MusicforMovies | Apr 16, 2017 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 147,762,326 books! | Top bar: Always visible