Day of Fire: A Novel of Pompeii by E Knight

Day of Fire: A Novel of Pompeii

by E. Knight (Contributor)

Other authors: Stephanie Dray (Contributor), Ben Kane (Contributor), Michelle Moran (Introduction), Sophie Perinot (Contributor), Kate Quinn (Contributor)1 more, Vicky Alvear Shecter (Contributor)

This book was very well done. I didn't expect to like it as much as I did. The story of that dark day in Pompeii told by those who lived through it - or died in it. Each of 6 authors tells a different story but the lives they portray are all linked together in some way. It was brilliant! ( )
  Oodles | Feb 16, 2016 |
An anthology of six linked short stories by different authors about the destruction of Pompeii.

None of the stories was bad but none of them really got me going either. I finished with a shrug rather than weeping, which I suspect was what the authors were hoping for. ( )
  Robertgreaves | Feb 8, 2016 |
Enthralling and very well written novel about Pompeii and how different inhabitants dealt with the earthquakes and volcano eruption. Each section told the stories of different folks and their fates. Some of them escaped the disaster and some were unlucky enough to perish in the black river of lava. The authors used different archaeological artifacts and constructed stories about who people might have been and what might have happened. The characters appeared in more than one story; the authors posited a family and slaves, or others knew each other in some way. Some were personal friends. The theme was not the same as Schnitzler's La Ronde, but like his novella, these stories seemed to me a cycle with one character [a prostitute] appearing in the first story then the last episode of the novel ending with her as one of the characters. The figures were all well-drawn and I cared about them. Moving and poignant. Amazing that it was put together so seamlessly from the pens of multiple authors! ( )
1 vote janerawoof | May 11, 2015 |
A Day of Fire is six interrelated short stories by six authors about the last day of Pompeii's existence. The book follows the final actions of various characters as they come to their tragic ends.

I hadn't read any of the authors previously although I understand them to be very popular writers of historical fiction. They did a good job collaborating and meshing their individual writing styles as the various characters reappeared throughout the stories.

Some of the writing was very good, but I felt the entire compilation to be rather overblown and wordy. Tactical editing was needed and would have made for an even more dramatic and moving story. On the whole, I enjoyed this book and would read more from these authors. ( )
  Zumbanista | Mar 19, 2015 |
A lively anthology by some of our best historical fiction writers. Stories feature a wide range of people: tavern whores, senators, gladiators, pregnant mothers, priests, proto-mafia money lenders, and more. The stories are linked by characters who show up in multiple stories--sometimes just as background, others in crucial plot twists--as well as the inevitable volcanic explosion. Most anthologies I read are uneven in quality: there are a couple of stand-out stories, a couple which could have been left out, with most good, but not especially noteworthy. This collection is "above average," in that all the stories were good, solid, and touched me. One had me sobbing on an airplane and I had to switch to the in-flight magazine so as not to alarm my fellow travelers. (Note: It's not all doom and gloom--several characters survive, but inevitably some don't. There is a definite theme of redemption that runs through the stories even for the more unsavory characters.) I particularly enjoyed the attention to historical details that all these authors are known for and the way they wove their stories together. Bravo! ( )
  MarysGirl | Feb 8, 2015 |

Knight, E.Contributorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Dray, StephanieContributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Kane, BenContributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Moran, MichelleIntroductionsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Perinot, SophieContributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Quinn, KateContributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Shecter, Vicky AlvearContributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
The depth of darkness to which you can descend and still live is an exact measure of the height to which you can aspire to reach. (Pliny the Elder)
I discreetly tightened my loincloth as I approached Pompeii's Samo Gate.

Pompeii was a lively resort flourishing in the shadow of Mount Vesuvius at the height of the Roman Empire. When Vesuvius erupted in an explosion of flame and ash, the entire town would be destroyed. Some of its citizens died in the chaos, some escaped the mountain's wrath . . . and these are their stories: A boy loses his innocence in Pompeii's flourishing streets. An heiress dreads her wedding day, not knowing it will be swallowed by fire. An ex-legionary stakes his entire future on a gladiator bout destined never to be finished. A crippled senator welcomes death, until a tomboy on horseback comes to his rescue. A young mother faces an impossible choice for her unborn child as the ash falls. A priestess and a whore seek redemption and resurrection as the town is buried. Six authors bring to life overlapping stories of patricians and slaves, warriors and politicians, villains and heroes who cross each others' path during Pompeii's fiery end. But who will escape, and who will be buried for eternity?

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:23:39 -0400)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,084,176 books! | Top bar: Always visible