The Madagaskar Plan by Guy Saville

The Madagaskar Plan

by Guy Saville

This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
After reading the first book in this presumed trilogy, I noted that The Afrika Reich "was practically non-stop gore, and the characters who weren't obsessed with revenge were total sadists. Just ridiculous quantities of torture and misadventure were heaped on the 'heroes,' none of whom were particularly engaging or sympathetic, and nearly all of whom lived and died grotesquely. Honestly, I expected a certain amount of nastiness from the premise, but I've read a fair amount of 'Nazis win WWII' alternate history, and it can be really excellent and quite nuanced with intriguing characters. This was not. At all."

So I wasn't thrilled by the idea of picking up the sequel and wouldn't have done so if I'd not received it from Early Reviewers. I decided three chapters were enough to tell that this book was going exactly the same direction as its predecessor, namely down the drain. In theory, this series could be interesting, dealing as it does with the scenario of what might have happened had Nazi Germany conquered Europe and Africa while the UK and US stood aside. But there's too much relishing of violence for my tastes, and I have no intention of finishing this book or picking up the third volume.
  InfoQuest | Mar 12, 2016 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
The Madagaskar Plan: A Novel is a brilliantly imagined and terrifyingly realistic alternate history where the Nazis and the Axis powers have triumphed over the Allied powers in World War II. This book chilled me because everything that happened in it seemed like what could have happened. The scope of the book was wide and encompassed all of the fronts of the war with the action jumping from place to place, while at the same time drawing you into the story with relatable characters with an intimate and personal storyline that had me crying.

This book is very intense. Almost too intense, which is why I gave is three and not four stars. That being said, it is a fascinating read and I recommend it to all history, and alternate history, fans. ( )
  Oryan685 | Nov 9, 2015 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
While I like alternate history, I struggled to really get into this book at all. I can't really put a thumb on why exactly other than it just didn't appeal to me. The story seemed to go from one crazy situation to another situation, with each escape seemingly unreasonable. Once is good, twice is fine... but umpteen times is a bit much.

There certainly could be a market for the book, but it's not one for me
  ryan.adams | Sep 29, 2015 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I found it difficult to stay with this book. After starting and stopping and starting I finally did finish but am still not sure it was worth the effort. It's grim and violent and the hero's escapades are pretty implausible. I won't be reading back or forward to books 1 and 3. ( )
  MmeRose | Sep 6, 2015 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
While reading this book, I was uncertain what I would say about it. While it's a sequel, it's able to stand alone if one hasn't read the predecessor, neither losing the reader in an unexplained setting nor requiring one to have read the previous book for moments to have the appropriate emotional impact. The setting appears well researched (although the author admits to taking some liberties for story reasons), and the possibility of the alternate history, with the Nazis winning World War II and shipping Jews to hellish camps in Africa, is documented in an appendix. However, the story wasn't really leaving much of an impression one way or another.

Then, I reached the final chapters. Not only is this book a sequel, but part two of at least three. As such, I understand that it can't really reach a proper conclusion. The ending it does reach, however, may be the worst place to do so, with none of the problems resolved positively for the protagonist, and the main one serving simply to motivate him in the next book. (I'll mention another problem I had with it at the end of the review, since it's a spoiler.) Perhaps the story will read better as a whole with the third book, but I don't expect to find out (see comment about the story making little real impression on me).

SPOILER WARNING FOR THE CONCLUSION:

After the hero spends the entire book trying to find the heroine, the two are reunited late on, only for her to be stuffed in the fridge so that he'll go after the two responsible in the next book. This both reduces her from character to plot device and makes the whole story seem like a waste of time. ( )
  Gryphon-kl | Aug 14, 2015 |

The Madagaskar Plan is alternate history of the highest order. Guy Saville has written a thriller of terrifying scope and plausibility.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:17:34 -0400)

"Guy Saville's The Madagaskar Plan imagines a disturbing alternate history in which Nazi victory in World War II brings their "Final Solution" ever closer. The year is 1952. There is peace in Europe, but a victorious Germany continues to consolidate power in Afrika. The lynchpin to their final solution is Madagaskar. In order to permanently contain the undesirable race, Hitler has approved the resettlement of European Jews to the remote island. Odilo Globocnik, SS Governor of Madagaskar, fiercely administrates the outpost, while extracting minerals and vanilla for the enrichment of the expanding Reich. In Mozambique, British forces plan to free Madagaskar, setting their sights on the critical port city of Diego. Relying on the expertise of Jacques Salois, an escaped leader of Jewish resistance, they plot to incite a colony-wide revolt.Into this roiling landscape arrives ex-mercenary Burton Cole, who scours shanty towns and work camps for his beloved Madeleine and their child. But as chaos descends and Walter Hochburg, SS Governor of Kongo, comes ever closer to exacting revenge, Cole must decide whether he is master, or at the mercy, of history. The Madagaskar Plan is alternate history of the highest order. Guy Saville has written a thriller of terrifying scope and plausibility"--… (more)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Guy Saville's book The Madagaskar Plan was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,704,598 books! | Top bar: Always visible