Beneath the Surface: Killer Whales,…

Beneath the Surface: Killer Whales, SeaWorld, and the Truth Beyond… (2015)

by John Hargrove

The author strikes the perfect balance among personal reminiscence, scientific fact, and job procedural. And what a job—swimming with these magnificent animals. However, the orca trainer-turned-activist shares the dark side of corporate management of animal performers, and makes a strong case against keeping any orcas in captivity. In particular, he gives a trainer’s view of several tragic orca attacks on humans: and runs afoul of SeaWorld as a result. ( )
  LaurelPoe | Dec 25, 2017 |
Have you watched the movie Blackfish? Do you like orca whales? Have you been to SeaWorld? If your answer to any of these questions is yes then this is a book for you! As a lover of all marine animals, especially whales and dolphins, and having been to SeaWorld a few years back, I decided just based off the description of this book that I should give it a shot. This book is very eye-opening. Before reading this book, I had no idea about the harsh reality that SeaWorld marine life lives in. Author, John Hargrove, worked as a orca trainer for over decade before leaving due to injuries sustained while working with the whales. Going into his job, he believed that SeaWorld was doing a wonderful thing for conservation and teaching park visitors about the whales, but by the time he left his view points had changed drastically, and he eventually did interviews and appeared in the movie Blackfish. This book talks about the differences between wild and captive orcas, their living conditions, the whales' psychology and behaviors,l and eventually about what SeaWorld's actual goals behind the parks are. After reading this book, I do feel very differently about the marine parks and will be watching Blackfish as soon as I can!

Heather B. / Marathon County Public Library
Find this book in our library catalog.

mcpl.wausau | Sep 25, 2017 |
If you don't like this book because you think we should keep big fucking animals in a tiny fucking tank then you are a dick.

kemilyh1988 | Jan 16, 2017 |
A look at the lives of Orca whales in captivity. The author, a former Sea World trainer, shares first hand experiences about the corruption at the park and the stress on the animals living in the boundaries of a tank.
  raa82 | Jul 30, 2016 |
This book isn't exactly what I thought it was going to be. I expected it to be solely about the treatment and captivity of orcas at SeaWorld and that was part of it, but it's also about John Hargrove's career and life at SeaWorld and how he rose through the ranks. And it was kinda boring. I had no interest in how he became a trainer, I just wanted to know about the whales. I've seen Blackfish and I was completely sucked in by it and that's what I was looking for with this book and it just didn't happen. It was also slightly repetitive and jumped between time frames. That being said, it wasn't a complete waste, I did learn a little bit that I didn't already know about SeaWorld to add to how much I already dislike them. ( )
  Tabatha014 | Jul 12, 2016 |
To all the killer whales that I had the privilege of building relationships with and swimming with for so many years—you gave me everything. But most especially to Takara, who taught me so much and whom I loved the most.
Freya was refusing to follow any of the signals I had taught her.

A firsthand account of the lives of captive killer whales by one of SeaWorld's most experienced orca trainers and the star of Blackfish argues that their needs are not met in captivity and traces advocacy efforts comparing the lives of free and captive orcas.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 126,516,948 books! | Top bar: Always visible