SuperMutant Magic Academy by Jillian Tamaki

SuperMutant Magic Academy

by Jillian Tamaki

Smart, funny, and well-drawn. Great! ( )
  scott_semegran | Jan 29, 2018 |
SuperMutant Ninja Academy is about the story of and X-Men like school and the students within it. While features a lot of characters, but focuses on a set of students as the main cast. Honestly, it took me a while to get into this book at first. I enjoyed the comic strip style, but since the story is set up in short snippets it felt a bit all over the place and it was sometimes hard to follow.

Towards the latter half, I felt like all the pieces were finally coming together as a story and I could follow everything that was happening. On top of that the characters stories became linear and I could start to recognize who was who and what supernatural ability they had. The art style is fun and the story is entertaining, it’s a mix of coming of age and the supernatural. I found it really relatable at times and it has good commentary on social issues such as: sexuality, freedom of speech, gender equality, and peer pressure. I would have enjoyed it more if the narrative was more cohesive, but it was still a very enjoyable read. ( )
  Rlmoulde | Nov 25, 2017 |
Supermutant Magic Academy by Canadian cartoonist Jillian Tamaki is her take on a Hogwart send-up with plenty of teen angst, unrequited love and underage drinking among the students who are an assortment of mutants and paranormals with super powers. The result is a strange, weird and wonderful collection that sometimes made me laugh and sometimes made me nod my head wisely. There were a few panels that I freely admit I didn’t understand, but this is a large book so I was able to simply move on to the next page.

This boarding school drama never lacks wit and insight and the author excels in depicting teens. So whether they are in a deep funk, or experiencing teen lethargy or considering their own sexuality, she nails it. In the long run their magic isn’t as important as their age and hormones. I found Supermutant Magic Academy to be a great combination of snark and sass and for me, an enjoyable read. ( )
  DeltaQueen50 | Apr 2, 2017 |
Such a strange graphic novel and one that was a little hard to get into at first. For most of the book, each page represents a single vignette, a tiny story about one or more of the characters from the Academy, and at the beginning with the vignettes jumping between so many different characters, it was difficult to keep track of who was who and what was going on. However, as I continued reading, I began to recognize the main set of characters and settled into the strange stories at this strange school that features an array of mutants and magic and science.

Some of the vignettes are anchored in ordinary teenage angst (like crushes and school dances and friendship) that makes them easy to relate to, while others are simply, delightfully bizarre (such as the everlasting boy, who throughout the book experiences a variety of deaths and rebirths and eternities). Taken as a whole, this is really a fabulous book, which doesn't allow itself to be anchored by any single storyline, but lets itself fall into the chaos of teenage-dom with all its weird wisdom and foolish obsessions. ( )
1 vote andreablythe | Aug 31, 2016 |
At first blush, I didn't think I was cool enough to totally get this book. It starts off fast-paced and in your face. The humor is quite specialized...I don't know how else to describe it except 'hipster'. That doesn't mean that I didn't enjoy it, however. One of my favorite booktubers (look it up), Ariel Bissett, kept talking about the graphic novel SuperMutant Magic Academy by Jillian Tamaki and how much she loved it. She flipped through its pages and the artwork which is primarily in black and white really appealed to me. The story follows a group of high school seniors as they navigate their way through the pitfalls of youth...except they're in a school full of mutants and magicians. After a time you forget that it's unusual for a character to be able to change its shape at will or travel through space. It becomes more about the relationships between the characters. My three favorites were Frances, Marsha, and Cheddar. Their cynical worldview and sarcastic wit had me chuckling with glee while on the train. Frances is a performance artist whose expression changes little from panel to panel. Marsha is in love with her female best friend and instead of telling her derides her at every opportunity. Cheddar just wants to get out of high school and undermines his teachers every chance that he gets (like Bender in The Breakfast Club). There are poignant moments about the fleetingness (I Googled this and its a real word so there) of youth and the seeming insignificance that most teenagers (and adults) have felt at one time or another. I do want to warn those with sensitive sensibilities because there is vulgar language and dirty jokes but since this is about teenage angst I think it's to be expected. (When does that kind of humor cease to be funny? For me, it't still going quite strong.) Overall, a quick, witty read that I think will appeal to those with an ability to laugh at themselves.At first blush, I didn't think I was cool enough to totally get this book. It starts off fast-paced and in your face. The humor is quite specialized...I don't know how else to describe it except 'hipster'. That doesn't mean that I didn't enjoy it, however. One of my favorite booktubers (look it up), Ariel Bissett, kept talking about the graphic novel SuperMutant Magic Academy by Jillian Tamaki and how much she loved it. She flipped through its pages and the artwork which is primarily in black and white really appealed to me. The story follows a group of high school seniors as they navigate their way through the pitfalls of youth...except they're in a school full of mutants and magicians. After a time you forget that it's unusual for a character to be able to change its shape at will or travel through space. It becomes more about the relationships between the characters. My three favorites were Frances, Marsha, and Cheddar. Their cynical worldview and sarcastic wit had me chuckling with glee while on the train. Frances is a performance artist whose expression changes little from panel to panel. Marsha is in love with her female best friend and instead of telling her derides her at every opportunity. Cheddar just wants to get out of high school and undermines his teachers every chance that he gets (like Bender in The Breakfast Club). There are poignant moments about the fleetingness (I Googled this and its a real word so there) of youth and the seeming insignificance that most teenagers (and adults) have felt at one time or another. I do want to warn those with sensitive sensibilities because there is vulgar language and dirty jokes but since this is about teenage angst I think it's to be expected. (When does that kind of humor cease to be funny? For me, it't still going quite strong.) Overall, a quick, witty read that I think will appeal to those with an ability to laugh at themselves. ( )
  AliceaP | Mar 11, 2016 |

"SuperMutant Magic Academy is a prep-school for mutants and witches but their paranormal abilities take a back seat to everyday teen concerns. Science experiments go awry, bake sales are upstaged, and the new kid at school is a cat who will determine the course of human destiny. In one strip, lizard-headed Trixie frets about her nonexistent modeling career; in another, the immortal Everlasting Boy tries to escape this mortal coil to no avail. Throughout it all, closeted Marsha obsesses about her unrequited crush, the cat-eared Wendy" --… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 127,293,260 books! | Top bar: Always visible