The Unfortunates: A Novel by Sophie McManus

The Unfortunates: A Novel

by Sophie McManus

Almost DNF after the first 100 pages. Characters totally unlikable all around. Kept at it because I'd requested that our local library order this book and felt obligated. By the last 100 pages I was glad I had continued because finally the story was engaging and I felt a little empathy for 1 (maybe 2) characters. Would I recommend? No. Was the book worth reading? Sure. Would I read another book by this author? Probably would give it a shot because the actual writing was lovely. But I have limited reading time in my life, and there's only so much of it I want to devote to unlikeable characters. If the cast is similarly unpleasant I won't feel bad about letting it be a DNF. ( )
  W.MdO | Sep 16, 2015 |

The riveting, hilarious, and epic story of a prominent American family on the cusp of ruin

This extraordinary debut novel by Sophie McManus is a contemporary American tragedy of breathtaking scope: a dramatic story of pharmaceutical drug trials and Wall Street corruption; of pride and prejudice; of paranoia and office politics; of inheritance, influence, class, and power.
     Cecilia Somner’s fate hangs in the balance. A larger-than-life heiress to a robber baron’s fortune, once known for her cruel wit as much as for her tremendous generosity, CeCe is now in opulent decline. Afflicted with a rare disease and touched by mortality for the first time, her gilded, bygone values collide with an unforgiving present. Along with her troubled son, George, and his outsider wife, Iris, CeCe must face the Somners’ dark legacy and the corrupting nature of wealth. As the Somner family struggles to find a solution to its troubles, the secrets and lies between CeCe, George, and Iris grow entangled. CeCe’s world topples, culminating in a crime as unforgettable as it is unexpected.
     While no riches can put things right for the unfortunate Somners, when all is lost, they learn what life beyond the long, shimmering shadow cast by the Somner dynasty may become. The Unfortunates, hilarious and heartbreaking by turns, is most of all a meditation on love: as delusional obsession, as transformation, and ultimately as a coming to grace.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:18:33 -0400)

"The story of a prominent New York family on the cusp of ruin in the face of a matriarch's wavering health, a bumbling son's scandalous opera, and a life of wealth and inheritance belonging to a bygone era"--

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,562,593 books! | Top bar: Always visible