The Dog Master: A Novel of the First Dog by…

The Dog Master: A Novel of the First Dog

by W. Bruce Cameron

I found many of the situations not agreeing with archaeology or with biology. For example there are and have never been any colonial owls nesting on cliffs or elsewhere,except for the little burrowing owls who nest in flat ground within flat regions. I found too many typos for a public book to have passed any editing stages by the more well know publishing companies.

The title is not an accurate description of the book as it deals with people and rarely with dogs or wolves.
Only the last ten percent of the book has much about the wolves. The rest of the book has maybe a few pages altogether on the wolves.

The arbitrary switching back and forth between about fifty time periods, and three cultures was not necessary and loses readers ability to keep the characters straight. The plot does not progress but wanders all over, from a modern college, through the fifty or so non-chronological time periods.

In summary, this is a fantasy whose storyline is chopped up into about fifty randomly unsorted time frames with little about dogs or wolves but plenty of misspellings missed by the editor.

However the author did do a very good job on one of his other books, "A Dog's Purpose". ( )
  billsearth | Feb 8, 2017 |
My only complaint is that the story really didn't need the modern connection at the beginning and end. The historical part stood on its own. ( )
  keindi | Nov 4, 2016 |
I honestly wasn't sure what to think when I was offered this book to read, but I was pleasantly surprised. I've read other novels set in a prehistoric period and didn't find them nearly as interesting as this novel was. The human characters are very real and interesting. I found the book easier to read because the humans seemed quite present-day, which made it easier to relate to them. The wolf "characters" were fascinating to read about, and I found myself wondering just how close their feelings were to those of the dogs who curl up next to me when I read. I find the story probable and interesting, one idea of how dogs became man's best friend. ( )
  hobbitprincess | Apr 28, 2016 |
Pleasant enough story of Human life as it may have existed tens of thousands of years ago and how early man was in a constant struggle to eat and avoid being eaten. The tribes we follow are several steps up from Neanderthal, having mastered the abilities to make fire and tools and enter into permanent marital relationships. Into this setting, the author skillfully posits growing relationships between man and beast leading to domestication of the savage wolf. ( )
  brucemmoyer | Jan 23, 2016 |
The Dog Master by W. Bruce Cameron is a encompassing epic that totally swept me up in the story. Set in the Paleolithic era the reader is gifted with three storylines that eventually converge. This is the story of the first man who thought to tame a wolf and how that taming came about.

A she-wolf is about to give birth and has seen her mate killed and herself badly injured by a lion, a young man takes steps to keep her and her litter alive. He in turn has been banished by his tribe, who are called the Kindred, as he is thought to have brought a curse upon them. His efforts with the wolf has been helped by another tribe called the Wolfen who worship wolves and have been making meat tributes to this dominant female so she is semi-accepting of having a human help her.

The story involves both tribes and the wolves as they all struggle to survive in a difficult world and this constant struggle made for an involving and gripping read. The author captures the hesitant at first but then unbreakable bond that man and dog can share and, as in all good epics, there is adventure, romance, and human relationships that make this story jump off the pages. No one really knows how the first wolf left the wild to take a place beside man, but I would like to believe this story comes close. The Dog Master was the perfect story for me right now, a great adventure read that expanded my horizons at a time when I am mostly housebound and for that it get’s my highest rating. ( )
1 vote DeltaQueen50 | Jan 15, 2016 |

Thirty-thousand years ago, humanity stood at a turning point. The last glaciation of Europe was about to commence, forcing modern humans out of the trees and onto the steppes, where they would be both predator and prey.

Wolves, too, whose fortunes rise and fall with the health of the herds, could sense something different in the wind. When Silex, the young leader of the Wolfen tribe, brings tribute to a clever she-wolf, everything changes. The alpha wolf learns that in times of famine she can turn to man for food, a lesson that her descendants do not forget.

Years later in another tribe, the Kindred, a boy is born with a crippled foot. His name, Malcrus (shortened to Mal) translates roughly to "he who brings a curse with his leg and must be put to death." The wily political maneuvers of the boy's mother keep him alive, though eventually he is shunned, unable to join the hunt, and finally banished at a time when a savage tribe of manhunters, the Valley Cohort, have ramped up their campaign of terror.

Struggling to survive in the wilderness, Mal saves a wolf cub, a descendant of Silex’s she-wolf, naming her "Dog." While Mal desperately misses the girl he has been forbidden to love, he and Dog become inseparable, living together, playing together, and learning to hunt together. But will his bond with Dog be enough to survive in this cold, unforgiving world?

The Dog Master by W. Bruce Cameron is an evocative glimpse at prehistory, a heartwarming coming of age saga, and an exciting, imaginative look at the story of the first dog.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:23:14 -0400)

"Set against the most dramatic time in our species' history, The Dog Master tells the story of one tribe's struggle for survival and one extraordinary man's bond with a wolf-a friendship that changed mankind forever..."--

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,645,515 books! | Top bar: Always visible