What Doesn't Kill Her: A Novel (Reeve…

What Doesn't Kill Her: A Novel (Reeve LeClaire Series)

by Carla Norton

Reeve is a survivor. When she was 12 years old she was kidnapped and held captive for four long years. Fortunately for her, her abductor was in a car accident when she was in the trunk of the car so she was finally found. Her captor, Daryl Wayne Flint, was found to be criminally insane so he was locked up in a psychiatric hospital. Unfortunately for Reeve, he escaped and evades capture, forcing her to face her demons and to take part in the hunt for Flint before he comes for her or others. I simply could not put it down. This was truly a fun read! ( )
  Susan.Macura | Mar 18, 2016 |
Reeve LeClaire is not a victim. Not anymore. It’s been years since she escaped from Daryl Wayne Flint, who held her captive for four precious years. Now, at 23, she’s finally getting her life back on track. But Flint, imprisoned in a top psychiatric hospital, has been watching, waiting, and meticulously planning his getaway. Now he seizes his chance.
Flint’s escape is Reeve’s worst nightmare. As he evades capture, baffling authorities and leaving a bloody trail through the forests of Washington State, she is hit by a fearful realization: She knows this psychopath better than anyone… and must risk everything to try to stop him.

“Former kidnap victim Reeve LeClaire puts herself at risk again in this high-octane sequel… But what Norton does best is to skillfully ratchet up suspense to a breathtaking climax, with a moving coda from the past. A nonstop thriller.” _ Booklist (starred review)

"riveting...exciting and suspenseful" _ Publishers Weekly

“Part sophisticated forensic thriller, part creepy psychological romp… with a brilliant heroine who takes recovery to a whole new level.” _ J.T. Ellison

“A smart, tightly written, psychological thrill ride...” _ Taylor Stevens

“Clear your schedules and turn off your phones—Carla Norton has written a terrific thriller! Relentlessly suspenseful, psychologically astute and diabolically clever..." _ Hank Phillippi Ryan ( )
  CarlaNorton | Dec 24, 2015 |
I didn’t even know this was a sequel because it worked as a stand-alone novel, which I really appreciate. I didn’t feel like I was missing out on the action by not having read the first book - but now I want to! The suspense was pretty great, and the climax wasn’t too over-the-top. Reggie was kidnapped as a preteen and held captive for four years. She was found by accident and her captor was locked up, but he escapes, and Reggie feels obligated to help the FBI find him again, even if it means putting herself back within his reach. ( )
  howifeelaboutbooks | Nov 4, 2015 |
3.5 stars

What Doesn't Kill Her is the second book in Carla Norton's Reeve LeClaire series. Although it can stand alone, I am one of those obsessive-compulsive readers who just has to read a series in order, so I picked up Edge of Normal first. My decision to do so both helped and harmed my opinion of What Doesn't Kill Her.

On the positive side, Norton's writing has become more polished, making this one of the rare series in which the second book is stronger than the first. On the negative side, What Doesn't Kill Her exacerbated the major flaw with Edge of Normal: protagonist Reeve LeClaire is a two-dimensional character whose only interesting feature is that she survived four years of captivity at the hands of a sexual sadist. This experience defines her, which may well be an accurate portrayal of the real victims of such abuse; however, a fictional character needs more to retain my interest, particularly across multiple books. As Dr. Ezra Lerner, Reeve's psychiatrist, observes at the end of Edge of Normal, Reeve's experience makes her uniquely well-suited to help other survivors, but What Doesn't Kill Her simply dumps her back into her own trauma.

My sense is that Norton has created, and is using, the Reeve LeClaire series as a sort of public service announcement directed at readers who may themselves be the victims of sexual violence, a sense heightened by Norton's decision to close each book with an express exhortation that, "[i]f you or someone you know needs help, please act as quickly as possible" by calling 911 or one of the other organizations she helpfully lists.

I would never tell a real victim to "move on," but if this series wants to survive, that's what Reeve needs to do.

I received a free copy of What Doesn't Kill Her through NetGalley in exchange for an honest review. ( )
  BrandieC | Jul 16, 2015 |
This review can also be found at Carole's Random Life. http://carolesrandomlife.blogspot.com/

I just love a well written mystery that keeps me guessing. This book grabbed my attention from the very first page and I found myself reading "just one more chapter" until I had had finished the book. I didn't even realize that this was the second book in the series until I was almost done with the book. To be honest, I don't think that I would have ever known if it wasn't on Goodreads because there was never a moment in the book where I felt like I was missing something.

This isn't one of those mysteries where the reader wonders who committed the crime. The criminal is apparent from the very beginning of the book. The question is how are they going to catch him and just how many crimes has he committed. The story is told from several points of view but the largest portion of the book is told from Reeve's point of view. Reeve was kidnapped as a preteen and spend four years of her life in captivity. She is moving on with her live until she learns that man who put her through hell has just escaped from his psychiatric unit where he was a prisoner. Reeve knows this criminal probably better than anyone so she decides to do what she can to help capture him.

The character in this book were varied. The parts of the story that were told from Flint's point of view were rather disturbing. Flint wasn't the only unpleasant character in this story. His mother was equally horrible. I even disliked Agent Blakenship for most of the story. While I wouldn't want to make friends with these individuals, their characters really added a lot to the story and gave me someone to root against. There were some very likeable characters in this book as well. Reeve is a survivor who doesn't give up easily. Milo Bender is probably my favorite character in the book because he is truly a nice guy and a great Agent.

The pacing of the story was very well done. There were enough surprises that I felt compelled to see what would happen next. While I would hope that some of things that happen in this book wouldn't happen in reality, the plot always felt very realistic. You wouldn't want it to happen but it isn't outside the realm of possibilities. I liked the way that the point of view changed in this story. Each point of very was very clear and had its own distinct voice. Each point of view brought an extra layer to the story being told and really had a impact on the overall flow of the book.

I would highly recommend this book to mystery fans. This is the first book by Carla Norton that I have had a chance to read but I will definitely being more in the future. I am really curious about the first book in this series and hope to start on that one very soon.

I received an advance reader edition of this book from St. Martin's Press - Minotaur via NetGalley for the purpose of providing an honest review. ( )
  Carolesrandomlife | Jun 28, 2015 |
The last time she would ever go swimming, all of Seattle was baking beneath a sky of blameless blue.

Carla Norton is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,925,579 books! | Top bar: Always visible