Badlands by C. J. Box

Badlands

by C. J. Box

As a North Dakotan, this book was SO fun to read! Loved it. ( )
  jnechiporenio | May 4, 2018 |
I see I read Stone Cold almost three years ago. I can't say my feelings about this author have changed much. Still way too dark and violent ... and yes, unbelievable. A bleak tale about coal fracking in a ND town attracting lowlifes - drug dealers, crooked cops and mobsters and killing each other with abandon. It's disturbing his books are so popular. ( )
  repb | Mar 31, 2017 |
A violent thriller that takes place in the dead of winter around the North Dakota oil boom. The story revolves around 12 year old Kyle Westergard and the violent incidents that are set in motion when Kyle takes a bundle away from a roll over accident he witnessed. Cassie Dewell is a newly assigned investigator at the Bakken County Sheriffs department..When she and Kyle meet, the unthinkable happens. A very good page turner. ( )
  lewilliams | Dec 17, 2016 |
How does he do it?? If I could ask C.J. Box one question, that would be it; How does he do it?? How does he consistently produce 5-star rock solid novels every time?? So o.k. I'm a huge fan! I've read every book Box has written, including his latest Badlands and he has not failed to deliver yet. I would say he is at the top of his game but he has never been off of it! I know there have been some critical reviews of his novel, The Highway, but I liked it too. Yes, it was a little different and a little more graphic then his usual novels but it was still excellent, solid writing! Different is good! That's actually one thing I really like about Box- all of the books in each of his series are unique. You know how, when you read a series that some authors have written and by the 5th book you can tell exactly how its going to open, you know exactly what the back-story is going to say and what chapter the murder is going to occur etc. With the exception of a change in a few characters and different plot, everything else is the same. It's like they rehash the same outline for every book in their series. Well that is absolutely NOT the case with C.J. Box! Every book of his, has its own individual style. I don't mean that they are "all" stand-alone. That's not the case. He does have three different series (Joe Pickett, Cody Hoyt & Cassie Dewell) and you should definitely read them in order but you won't find the same stuff rehashed time and time again in each of them. You get a different 5-star experience with each one, which is exactly how it should be. So check out Box today especially if you like your mysteries and thrillers set in the mountains, wilderness and back country! You can't go wrong with whichever series you choose. ( )
  EmpressReece | Aug 22, 2016 |
The first C.J. Box I read, THE HIGHWAY, I found riveting. Naturally, I dashed out to the library and snapped up BADLANDS ©2015, the next in the series.

BADLANDS is even better, but don’t start here because the long story (with recurring characters) is much richer.

Twelve year old Kyle Westergaard dreams of getting out of Grimstad, but he witnesses something dangerous. Grimstad is having an oil boom, so there’s no housing for love or money. With money comes drugs and criminals, headaches for new Deputy Sheriff Cassie Dewell.

I inhaled this story.

I built a Cast of Characters for BADLANDS because I often do and it is attached on the page on my website for this review (if you can find it!)

A day or two after I’d finished this immensely satisfying story, a copy of BADLANDS ©2015 by C.J. Box arrived in the mail, courtesy of the publisher. So I’m holding another giveaway. ( )
  TdeV | Jul 25, 2016 |
For the good people--old and new--of North Dakota...and Laurie, always

"Twelve-year-old Kyle Westergaard lives with his single mother in a small North Dakota town that was once just a stopover on the way to The Badlands but has recently boomed and become the heart of the Bakken Oil Field. Even though Kyle has been written off by everyone as "slow" and "learning disabled," he has dreams and deeper thoughts than anyone can imagine. He wants to get out of town, take care of his mother, and give them a better life. While delivering newspapers, he witnesses a car accident where a mysterious bundle flies out and he thinks his fortunes might have changed. The bundle is filled with money and packets of white powder. His mother's boyfriend, T-Lock, tells him it is worth hundreds of thousands and Kyle shouldn't tell anyone. He, T-Lock, will handle it for all of them. Cassie Dewell (The Highway) is the new deputy sheriff in town and the only female in the department. In this newly rich town where men outnumber women twenty-to-one, the police need all the help they can get. With oil comes money. With money comes drugs. With drugs comes violent gangs wanting to corner the market and infiltrate the cops. When the temperature drops to 30 below and a gang war heats up, Cassie realizes she may be in over her head. She becomes the target of someone who is leaving body parts where she is most likely to find them. As she is propelled on a collision course with a murderous enemy, she finds that the key to it all might come in the most unlikely form: an undersized twelve-year-old boy on a bike who keeps showing up where he doesn't belong. Badlands is a masterpiece of suspense, detailing family dynamics and small-town politics in a time and place like no other"--… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 125,571,315 books! | Top bar: Always visible