Chase the Dark (Steel & Stone) (Volume 1) by…

Chase the Dark (Steel & Stone) (Volume 1)

by Annette Marie

High sexual tension, but far from smutty, Annette Marie dives right into the action! ( )
  LaPhenix | Mar 19, 2016 |
I very quickly developed a stake in the three main characters’ well-being. Piper, Ash, and Lyre are all starkly different from each other, but yet I developed empathy for all three, each one intriguing and likeable in his/her own way. I especially enjoyed the changing dynamic that occurs between the three throughout the book.

I can highly recommend this fast-paced action story, with elements of coming-of-age, suspense, and romance. Well-written, with an imaginative story line and good character development, Chase the Dark has all the ingredients necessary for a wildly entertaining fantasy ride.
  benderca | Feb 8, 2016 |
The first thing I noticed was the writing style, which I really enjoyed. The characters? Not so much. Piper is your usual YA main character. She is really, really special, all the boys want her, she has drama in her family, she has to be constantly saved and she is not the sharpest knife in the drawer (no seriously, I’m not willing to call her naive, that’s too light for her). Her biggest dream is to become a consul. Why? We don’t know. Is a consul something she should do? No! Everything you have to be able to do as a consul, is something she is really bad at.

At first I thought the main character is the only female in the world. But later on a few other female characters are ‘introduced’, but of course they are all bad. Insert female hating, because you do find it in this book. As I said before Piper isn’t able to save herself. But later on in the book, she has to fight some daemons and wins. How? Why? The fighting parts (especially the ones where she’s winning) are really, really detailed. For me it was too much and yeah, a little boring.

Speaking of boring… the sexual tension seemed very forced and sometimes ridiculous. I can’t go into details because then I would spoiler you… but there are too many closets and if your life is currently in danger, you don’t salivate over someone’s body.

The world building on the other hand was interesting, although a few more details would be nice. ( )
  bookstogetlostin | Sep 28, 2015 |
I got a copy of this book through NetGalley. This is the first book in a young adult series called Steel and Stone. The third book in the Steel and Stone series, Yield the Night, is expected to release in March of 2015. I really really enjoyed this urban fantasy book, it had wonderful characters and excellent action scenes.

Piper Griffiths is training to become a Consul. The Consuls keep the peace between humans and daemons. However all her plans crumble when her father asks her to spend a rather awkward evening making sure that the Incubus, Lyre, and the Draconian, Ash, stay out of trouble. Then things get worse, Piper’s father disappears and a number of important Consul members are killed. Now the world (both human and daemon) think Piper, Ash and Lyre have a powerful artifact called the Sahar Stone. They are forced to flee and solve the mystery of what really happened the night her father disappeared and the Sahar Stone went missing.

I found this to be an incredibly engaging and entertaining story. This seems to be one of those books that would fit well into the New Adult category. Some of the scenes are a bit too intense/sexual for young adults but it never really gets to an adult level.

This book had some really excellent characters, they were just completely engaging and had great chemistry. Piper is very fun to read about; she is tough and sassy but still uncertain and vulnerable at times. She is definitely a badass but never in a way that is completely obnoxious or unbelievable.

Lyre and Ash were two very awesome characters as well. Both, of course, are described as very sexy and competent males. I enjoyed learning about their different powers and about the world they came from. Ash in particular stole the show; he is a Draconian and the whole of who he is and what he can do remained a mystery for much of the story. I however, fell absolutely and completely in love with him as a character.

Piper, Lyre, and Ash all have great chemistry together. There is a lot of well done tension between the characters that really keeps you engaged and on the edge of your seat.

I loved the world as well. Although, not a completely unique idea, I do enjoy the idea of a world where the creatures of what we would traditionally think of as heaven and hell become involved in the human world in order to save it from destruction. It reminded me a bit of Jana Oliver’s Demon Trapper’s series in tone. It’s a dark world and this book just touches on all the interesting creature from both above and below that dwell in it now.

Additionally I really loved the breath-taking fight scenes and all of the action. They were very well written and very “edge-of-your seat” engaging. There are some points where you have to suspend your belief a little bit (especially some fight scenes where Piper takes out adversaries much bigger and badder than her). That didn’t really bother me though because they were just so much darn fun to read.

Overall this was a incredibly fun and very engaging urban fantasy read, I had a lot of trouble putting this book down. This book was very well balanced; it had an awesome world, engaging characters, fantastic action scenes, a well done mystery, and some incredible romantic tension. Everything was very well done and it was well written and easy to read. I was very impressed with this book and had a great time reading it. I will definitely be reading more books in this series in the future! If you love urban fantasy you have got to check this series out! ( )
  krau0098 | Feb 7, 2015 |
Piper was a bit annoying at times with her stubbornness and pride, but she quickly became a character I enjoyed following. She is training to be a Consul and all she wants to do is prove herself worthy. only she doesn't feel her father gives her the chance. When her father and the Sahar Stone go missing and sends her on the run she has to team up with Lyre and Ash to figure out what's going on and clear her fathers name.

Both Lyre and Ash give you reasons not to like them, but you can't help like them anyways. Ash is a giant mystery and you tend to look for anything that might give you another glimpse of who he is. You can tell he cares about Piper, but he holds himself back due to what he is and who has him under their thumb. Lyre makes his attraction to Piper known and every turn, but Piper isn't in to him. They are pretty funny together and I think their friendship brings a lot to the story. I'm really rooting for Ash and Piper to pull together some how. I know it will be a crazy ride, but they compliment each other and they work well together.

There are a lot of obstacles and bombs thrown at Piper throughout the story. She doesn't always react the best way, but i really admired her perseverance. The story is pretty fast paced with a lot of action and drama. You never quite know what will happen next and that brings a lot of suspense to the story. Don't like the cliffhanger ending, but it has be defiantly interested in continuing the series.

* This book was provided free of charge from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review. ( )
  STACYatUFI | Jan 13, 2015 |

Piper Griffiths wants one thing in life: To become a Consul, a keeper of the peace between humans and daemons. There are precisely three obstacles in her way. The first is Lyre. Incubus. Hotter than hell and with a wicked streak to match. His greatest mission in life is to get Piper into bed and otherwise annoy the crap out of her. The second is Ash. Draconian. Powerful. Dangerous. He knows too much and reveals nothing. Also, disturbingly attractive — and scary. Did she mention scary? The third is the Sahar Stone. Top secret magical weapon of mass destruction. Previously hidden in her Consulate until thieves broke in, went on a murder spree, and disappeared with the weapon. And they left Piper to take the fall for their crimes. Now she’s on the run, her dreams of becoming a Consul shattered and every daemon in the city gunning to kill her. She’s dead on her own, but there’s no one she can trust — no one except two entirely untrustworthy daemons . . . See problems one and two. CHASE THE DARK is Book 1 in the Steel & Stone series. Book 2, BIND THE SOUL, is now available for pre-order.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:06:19 -0400)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,934,255 books! | Top bar: Always visible