The Fallen Angels of Karnataka by Hans M.…

The Fallen Angels of Karnataka

by Hans M. Hirschi

511,436,638 (5)None

Review by Lily for
ScuttlebuttReviews

Another great story from Hans Hirschi.

The Fallen Angels of Karnataka focuses on Haakon, and I realised what this young boy’s life was about: it was simple and free from traumas. He was loved, went to school and dreamt of travelling the world.

He first travels to London with friends from university, and that’s when Haakon’s life changes at a level he never envisaged. His next place of travel is France to be with his lover, and the story evolves into something that touches a lot of social issues from the 1980s era. Many people who were adults in that time will remember the media frenzy and people’s prejudice as well as compassion.

As a reader, I felt like I was travelling with Haakon. The places he saw were so vivid in my head to the point I could almost smell the spices and feel the sun on my skin. Haakon even went to my country and I got to experience the wonders in my country through his eyes this time.

But Haakon’s journey around the world is not only about the wonders of the world. It is about loss, love, despair, horror, grief, and joy. Everything I read in this book felt real so I found myself in tears at times and another time sobbing my eyes out.

What fascinates me the most is how Hirschi portrays the characters in his story. They all look like average people, but each character has a unique side ranging from victim, to a truly manipulative one with evil deeds, and Haakon gets to meet them all and learn what life is about.

Haakon’s innocence is almost endearing, yet broke my heart just like it breaks his heart. I experienced his suspicions and horror at his discovery of what a human is capable of doing. I also come to experience his awe and determination to right the wrong.

This story is not about explicit sex or sizzling moments. It is not about fluffy romance. It is about joy, loss, horror, hurt, love and finally love and redemption.

The end of Karnataka soothed the ache and the hurt in my heart over what happened to innocent children, and those who struggle in life.

This book requires concentration so one does not miss the hints the writer makes throughout the story. There is a very subtle suspense which will be revealed to you later in the story. Do not miss this moment because it will rock you and shock you to your core.

The Fallen Angels of Karnataka touches a lot of current issues, so do not expect fluffy dialogue and ending. What I found at the end of this story is some happiness, resolution, justice, whilst knowing there are some awful things like this still happening in our lifetime. Hirschi shows that despite loss, trauma and harsh realities of life, one can still move forward in life. ( )
  ScuttlebuttReviews | Nov 9, 2014 |
added by gsc55 | editPrism Book Alliance, Ulysses (Apr 4, 2015)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 127,199,429 books! | Top bar: Always visible