The Dragon Dreamer by J S Burke

The Dragon Dreamer

by J S Burke

821,035,133 (5)None

In this marvelous book, J. S. Burke creates a world so vivid we can taste colors, smell feelings, see music, and feel flavors. With her artistic use of imagery the words sing. And what a song ~ of friendship, love, grief, fear, anguish, hope, and, yes adventure.

The story of Arak, a young dragon full of dreams and Scree, a philosophical octopus-healer, sounds unlikely. So did the story of a talking spider or a farm whose animal society represents a microcosm of our own. Yet CHARLOTTE'S WEB and ANIMAL FARM are two icons of 'children's literature' because their language speaks to both children and adults alike. I see this in THE DRAGON DREAMER.

The characters and storyline are so well drawn we are hopelessly hooked in the very first chapter and held captive throughout the whole book. Dragons grow intricately patterned snowflakes, carve story-telling ice sculptures, and dance with the clouds. The octopi create living murals using tiny glowing sea creatures, build "tentacle artwork" from driftwood that stimulate all their senses, and they speak with colors. Burke throws these two unlikely societies together who find their way through adversity to a deep, abiding friendship/alliance. The beautiful metaphors, philosophy, and imagery evoke a style reminiscent of Andre Norton and Mercedes Lackey. This enchanting story also weaves in science, politics, and social awareness.

I bought a copy for my granddaughter and one for my grandson, and I intend to read it again. Over and over. When the sequel comes out--I do hope we get to meet the mythical/legendary ice dragons--I will buy it as well. This is a world for anyone who wants a journey into fantasia while enjoying valuable life observations and science-based realism. I highly recommend it for all ages but parents beware! Your child WILL learn while having fun.

On a personal note, I would like to add that this book came into my life during a particularly difficult crisis ~ it saved my sanity. I read for one magical hour each night and "flew the oceans" in my mind with Arak and Scree all the next day. ( )
  ValerieLP | Feb 7, 2015 |
I rec'd an ARc of this book from the author J S Burke in exchange for an honest opinion. This is mousiey's and her nieces very honest opinion of the book.
This is the first book which either one of us have read of this author. And found it to be very interesting and a fast paced book. The Dragon Dreamer is written for children ages of middle school. It tells the story about a Dragon who upon his first flight has an accident and relies on a healer from another sea creature to make him better. This tells the journey of 2 such animals an their friendship that they build together. How they each help each other over come issues and problems within there own families.
In a way - it helps teaches our children that we must all work together to over come all things. And that we can make friends outside of our race or breed of animal- ex-- cat and dog make friends an live together as one unit, forest animals all reside together and get along with each other.
I recommend this book for children in middle school. Our rating for this very inspiring, interesting - moving and compelling story is a 30 out of 5 stars.
Ms Burke has a wonderful way of bringing her special characters to life and has an amazing imagination. Both myself and my lovely teenage niece are very honored to have been able to read her book.
Teenage look at book--
I am including these notes for my neice as she does not have anyway to comment on this book. From her prospective As a teenager - Esme has told me that she found this book to be very interesting. It is age appropriate for middle schoolers. She thought the author did a wonderful job in telling the story and bring her creatures to life. Esme and I both look forward to reading the next book from Ms Burke. So what are you waiting for?? FLY AN GET YOUR COPY TODAY!! ( )
  m0usey | Feb 2, 2015 |

The Dragon Dreamer is a fast-paced adventure with flying dragons, an undersea world, and an unexpected friendship. It’s a young adult science fantasy for ages 8 to adult. Arak can quest for hours in trance, his mind far away. He is different, a worthless dreamer, tormented by other young dragons. Finally Arak leaves the clan, flying far over the sea, and crashes on a remote ice floe. He suffers serious injuries and the loss of his trance-stone. A fearless, shape-shifting octopus named Scree finds and heals him, and an unexpected friendship begins. Arak returns to the Winter Festival, where dragons carve glaciers with fire and toss lightning bolts in the clouds. But a devastating illness stalks the clan. When an undersea volcano erupts, it triggers a towering tsunami and a deadly chain of events. Can Arak use his unique talents and alliances to save the dragons?

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:13:57 -0400)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,100,063 books! | Top bar: Always visible