Withering Hope by Layla Hagen

Withering Hope

by Layla Hagen

Seré breve porque no hay nada que resaltar:

Glire | Jun 22, 2016 |
I don't know what compelled me to listen to Withering Hope. Maybe it was the uniqueness of the story that drew me in. Two people survived a plane crash and then have to depend solely on each other to survive the rainforest in hopes of being rescued. In the process, fall in love. Yup, that it. A love story nestled into a story about pure survival.

So at first, I was intrigued with the story line. But after the plane crash, and the routine of day to day life in the rainforest, I was worried about being bored. At the beginning, right when I started getting bored, something unexpected (well, it was probably expected since its the rainforest) would happen and shit started getting real. Every time one crisis was averted, another would happen soon thereafter. I would find myself sitting on the edge of my seat in anticipation of what would come next.

Now I want to touch on the emotional factor of Withering Hope. We hear most of the story from Aimee's POV. We really get to know her, and she is a very likable character. We occasionally get short chapters from Tristan's POV about how much she loves Aimee and to what lengths he will go to protect her. It's pretty obvious from his first POV chapter that the love that the two of them are going to have is going to be epic.

A lot of other reviewers have drawn connections between Aimee & Tristan's love to Noah & Ally from The Notebook. I have never been about to compare another love to Noah and Ally. Until this book. Their love is full, complete, breathtaking and heartbreaking. You will tear up. You will be filled with hope, and then despair. Withering Hope is an extremely emotional book, and while that seems obvious to me at this moment after finishing the book, it honestly took me by surprise.

Lastly, I really enjoyed the narrators. They both captured the emotion perfectly taking the story to its full potential. ( )
  laurenh85 | Mar 29, 2016 |
3 or 4 stars, I can't make up my mind. I loved On the Island a little bit more, that book really made me get into loving survival romances, but this one has a deserved second place. The writing was easy, the romance felt natural, they got there with a good pacing of the story. A special credit for the epilogue because that was really touching. ( )
  Ingstje | Jan 18, 2016 |
Get ready for the waterworks, this tear-jerker is just absolutely beautiful!

"A ten, a ten! A f*cking ten!"
-Varsity Blues

This story was just something I did not expect. I didn't read the blurb until I got the ARC, I only wanted to read this because of its gorgeous cover, and my assumption of the title. When I read the title 'Withering Hope' for some reason, I thought about Wuthering Heights. I know, weird.

The story is about Aimee flying to Brazil to arrive early for her wedding to her childhood friend. But she doesn't make it... Crash-landed in the middle of the Amazon forest, Tristan will do whatever it takes to survive, and that includes Aimee surviving as well. From poison to menacing beasts occupying the forest alongside them, they both work together to take it one day at a time. Little do they know, love is also out there lurking and waiting for the right moment to make itself present.

The beginning of the story was pretty fast. One minute, things are one way, the next everything is other. Although it's not as disorienting as it sounds when reading, it is for the characters.
Character development was on point. At the mention of snakes, I wanted to just jump out of my skin. I would not last one day out in the wild, forget about 3 months. I'd rather have died when the plane crash made impact. Aimee was so awesome, such a good sport. She was useful when needing to look for food, making makeshift baskets, brave. Argh, just thinking about her makes me want to cry. She was just a well-rounded female character. Tristan on the other hand, mmmm-mmmm-mmmm! He had his RAMBO moments, sweet he's-my-hero moments, too many bastard-don't-die-on-me moments, not enough love-me-long-time moments, just thinking about him makes want to ball my eyes out, and hold him and never let go. He was the whole package deal.

In the end, everything played out so well I can't think of the story ending any other way.

Overall, I fell in awe of the intense, dramatic, romantic effects the author brought to the table and I would recommend this to those looking for something with a plot and romance to enhance the experience. ( )
  Lita2013 | Dec 25, 2014 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,984,290 books! | Top bar: Always visible