Immaculate by Katelyn Detweiler

Immaculate

by Katelyn Detweiler

422273,462 (3)1

Mina never asked for a miracle. She's a straight-A student with a caring family, a great boyfriend, and two best friends who have known her practically all her life. When a strange old woman comes into the pizza shop where she works, Mina tries to be patient, despite the fact that it's almost closing time. But the old woman's bizarre conversation takes a turn for the alarming, and Mina finds herself saying anything to get the old lady out the door. She tries to put the encounter out of her mind -- but that proves impossible once the symptoms start to show. Mina, a girl who has never once slept with a boy, is pregnant. In the months that follow, some people believe her, others brand her a liar. A few practically worship her while others hate her. Friendships crumble, grades slip -- and Mina has to wonder: why her? Why now?

The interesting concept is what drew me in to this book, and the questions raised by that initial encounter were enough to keep me reading even through some flaws: the dialogue is stilted in places, and the younger sister is a little too perfect to be true. My main problem, though, is with the ending. None of the big questions are answered. It feels like it's setting up for another book, but I'm afraid I'm just not interested enough to continue with the series. Read this one only if you find the premise fascinating and you're okay with some ambiguity at the ending. ( )
  foggidawn | Jan 13, 2016 |
An interesting premise but the ending fizzled out. ( )
  olegalCA | Nov 24, 2015 |
"There are only two ways to live your life.
One is as though nothing is a miracle.
The other is as though everything is a miracle.
--Attributed to Albert Einstein
To Carebear & Denny, because your faith makes all things possible.
Whenever I think back to that night at the restaurant, that night that changed everything--and I do mean absolutely everything--I wonder if I could have done or said anything different, somehow convinced the old woman that she had the wrong girl.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,074,926 books! | Top bar: Always visible