Harlem Renaissance Party by Faith Ringgold

Harlem Renaissance Party

by Faith Ringgold

I have very mixed feelings about this book. I am a fan of its very rich and fulfilling content that has the ability to empower young readers of color who have no idea the power and struggle that these artists, writers and quite frankly legends had. I was also touched by the ability of the writer to involve a young child into the story to make them feel as if they can be a part of history too. What I have an issue with is the writers abrupt way of introducing the characters. it makes it very hard to keep up with who was just a regular character and who was a historical giant. Also, the author somehow missed going in to detail about some of the giants. I feel that the book would have appealed to me more if it were more concisely written. ( )
  lpittman | Feb 16, 2017 |
I was very very excited to see a new book by Faith Ringgold, because I love her artwork. She is especially known for her beautiful painted story quilts.

In this book for kids, Lonnie and his Uncle Bates take an airplane on a journey back in time to the era of the Harlem Renaissance. Uncle Bates tells Lonnie:

“… we’ll see musicians, poets, novelists, painters, activists, philosophers, and scholars: wise men and women, giants standing tall above the crowd, sharing dreams of a better life for all black people.”

And indeed they do. Everywhere they go, they meet another giant of the time, with Uncle Bates explaining to Lonnie what that person accomplished.

When they finally go home, Lonnie is inspired:

“Like Marcus Garvey, I am so proud to be black. One day, I will be a famous writer just like Langston Hughes. You see, Uncle Bates, . . . I learned from the giants of the Harlem Renaissance.”
Presumably, readers will do the same.

The story is followed by an extensive glossary, which is really an annotated guide to the Harlem Renaissance and also includes short biographies. It is actually the best part of the book. There is also a guide for further reading.

The author/illustrator used boldly colored acrylics paint on paper canvas.

Evaluation: I love Ringgold’s art work (although this book doesn’t show the skill even of her other children’s books, such as Tar Beach), but the prose leaves a lot to be desired. It’s awkward and stilted, and has a “primer” feel to it instead of relating a story that will absorb readers. But definitely check out the art work and the glossary. ( )
  nbmars | Jun 4, 2016 |
This book seems to take place in history when things aren't as they are today. The book does a good job of telling a story from a certain point of view. I would read this to my classroom but make sure it was in the right setting and age group. Genre, folklore, multicultural. ( )
  robe0605 | Mar 21, 2016 |
I love Faith Ringgold but I'm not a fan of this book. The narrative frame is clumsy and didactic. ( )
  Sullywriter | May 22, 2015 |
time travel and meet the Greats of African American history ( )
  melodyreads | Apr 6, 2015 |

Caldecott Honor artist Faith Ringgold takes readers on an unforgettable journey through the Harlem Renaissance when Lonnie and his uncle Bates go back to Harlem in the 1920s. Along the way, they meet famous writers, musicians, artists, and athletes, from Langston Hughes and W.E.B. Du Bois to Josephine Baker and Zora Neale Hurston and many more, who created this incredible period. And after an exciting day of walking with giants, Lonnie fully understands why the Harlem Renaissance is so important.

Faith Ringgold's bold and vibrant illustrations capture the song and dance of the Harlem Renaissance while her story will captivate young readers, teaching them all about this significant time in our history. A glossary and further reading list are included in the back of the book, making this perfect for Common Core.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:24:48 -0400)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,104,784 books! | Top bar: Always visible