Sisters of Blood and Spirit by Kady Cross

Sisters of Blood and Spirit

by Kady Cross

First of all, thank you Netgalley and Harlequin Teen for the chance to read this book in advance.

I absolutely adored this book! I can't even tell you how much I loved the book, but I loved it a lot.

This was a slightly creepy book. The pacing was good and the suspense...WOW! It's been a while since a book had me so freaked out, my heart was beating wildly in my chest. And some of the details were actually kinda scary. I loved that. I also loved the dual POV. It gave the story much more depth and it made the characters seem more realistic.

I loved the twins. They were so, so entertaining. At the same time, my heart broke for both of them. There were moments when I thought Lark was a little bit too snarky with people. I did understand why though, so it wasn't a huge deal, but I would've wanted to see her be a little bit more nice to people. I liked that in the end she discovered that she did have friends and that, although not exactly perfect, they did make the perfect group for her. I also enjoyed seeing her be honest about her feelings, at least with herself. I liked that she was realistic and that although she acted tough, she knew that there was a chance things might end up bad. And I liked that she was willing to do anything to keep her sister safe.

Speaking of Wren, she was awesome. I liked how sometimes American expressions were a bit hard for her to understand and that made it even clearer that she wasn't like her sister at all, what with her being dead and all. She seems so lonely in certain scenes in this book and that really broke my heart. I am hoping that in the next book she'll get to meet other good ghosts, because I felt like she needed to spend a little bit more time with her kind.

I am anxious to see what happens next, especially with a few interesting details Wren and Lark found out about their family. There's also a bit of a mystery surrounding the girls and what they can do. I hope that this will get to be explored more in the next book. ( )
  Rubys.books | Oct 15, 2016 |
Wren and Lark Noble are twins and are identical in every way except two; their hair color and ability to breathe. Wren was stillborn and thus is a rarity among her ghostly kind. She has a special connection to her sister Lark and together they can do and see things that most people, dead or alive, can't do. So when the boy who saved Lark's life after a failed suicide attempt is marked by an evil ghost, the twins will do whatever it takes to save not only his life, but the lives of his friends as well.

This action-packed story was engaging, thrilling, and intriguing! I loved the connection between Wren and Lark. It was strong, loving, and forgiving. Though Wren is sometimes jealous of not being alive, she understands that she wasn't meant to be. Lark understands about Wren's loneliness and allows her to take over her body so she can experience things for herself. They have a great relationship and work well together.

I only had two complaints about this story. The first being that I felt as though we needed more background information on why the sisters are so special. The rarity of their connection is mentioned through the book several times and even the sisters question it, but they don't do anything to figure out what makes them that way. My other issue is that I felt the ending was not complete. Someone special helps the sisters out periodically in the story and at the end we find out who that person is and their connection to the twins but not much else. I would have loved a closer look at their importance and what it meant to the girls specifically.

Other than that, this was a great read! This was my first time reading anything by Kady Cross but I loved her writing style and will definitely check out some of her other works. I hope to see this story continue on and hopefully clean up some of the loose ends.

I was provided a copy of this book via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review. ( )
  JaidisShaw | Apr 15, 2016 |
Review courtesy of Dark Faerie Tales

Quick & Dirty: A quick paranormal read about twin ghost-hunting sisters, and their unusual bond through death.

Opening Sentence: The scars on my wrist itched.

The Review:

It makes a change to read something a little different, even if it isn’t a fantastic mind-boggling read. Sisters of Blood and Spirit wasn’t the latter but was a refreshing read. I enjoyed reading something focused on siblings and their relationships first, and romance thereafter and that’s what the foundation of this book was set on; the twin sisters.

Now, Lark and Wren aren’t like other twins, and you’re probably thinking: ‘yeah, they’re probably polar opposites or something along those lines.’ Yes and no. They definitely have contrasting personalities but the main difference is that one is alive and the other isn’t. Although Wren was a stillborn and to the world never really existed, Lark has been able to see her since birth and has built a strong relationship with her, one so strong that when Wren isn’t around Lark feels incomplete.

When we were little, Lark asked me if I lived in Heaven. I told her I didn’t know. I still didn’t. It was an untruth that the dead had all the answers. We just had different questions.

I thought their relationship was very sweet and quite disturbing. I can’t imagine how Lark must have felt growing up, knowing that she can essentially see ghosts. It makes me think of the little boy in the Sixth Sense, and that was not a favourite movie of mine! They’re both there for each other, Wren helps Lark out in dangerous situations with malevolent spirits, whilst Lark helps bring Wren back to the “good” side.

I wanted her to rest, and she wouldn’t if I didn’t help. She’d lie there all night and think about how she could have done things differently so the people she’d started to care for wouldn’t look at her like she was a freak.
What she failed to realize was that we were all freaks-every last one of us, living or dead. It didn’t matter.

I read this story pretty quickly, and I imagine I’ll want to continue the series but I make no promises. It was a good enough read whilst it lasted, but it’s not the sort of book that had me craving for more.

Notable Scene:

His nostrils flared slightly. “I’m the guy who kicked in a window to get to you. The guy who found you in a pool of your own blood and wrapped your arms in pillowcases to try to stop the bleeding. I’m the guy who prayed for you to live while you begged me to let you die. I don’t want your apology.”

“What the hell do you want? Gratitude? A freaking medal?” I wasn’t yelling, but I was close.

“What do I want?” His fingers tightened on my arm. “Jesus, Lark. I want you to forgive me!”

FTC Advisory: Harlequin Teen provided me with a copy of Sisters of Blood and Spirit. No goody bags, sponsorships, “material connections,” or bribes were exchanged for my review. ( )
  DarkFaerieTales | Oct 26, 2015 |
Lark and Wren Noble are twins who are very different. Lark has white hair while Wren has red hair. Lark is more sarcastic while Wren is more sunny. Lark is alive while Wren died when she was born. They can communicate and see each other, but no one else can see Wren. Rumors abound as they grew up when Lark's imaginary friend never went away and it stopped being cute. Lark attempted suicide, was saved by her friend Mace, and was sent to a mental institution for her supposed delusions. She's back and a bit traumatized and more jaded, but better than ever. Now, Mace needs her help. A group of his friends stupidly pissed off an old and very powerful ghost at a dilapidated mental institution and desperately need their help. Can Lark and Wren beat this powerful ghost or will they die trying?

I loved Kady Cross's Clockwork Century series, so I had to read her new supernatural book with a modern setting. The strength of the novel is in the sisters. Lark and Wren are fully realized and have very different outlooks on life. Lark is snarky, sarcastic, introverted, and kind of cold. Some might find her unpleasant, but I understood where she was coming from. Most view her as a crazy freak and don't care to get to know her. She recently went through a dark patch where she tried to kill herself and ended up in a mental institution. There, she had herself almost convinced that Wren was a delusion, but came through stronger than ever. Now, she has to lay low and keep attention from herself to ensure never returning to that awful, ghost infested place. She owns her mistakes and learns from them. She can be a bit reckless, but she's crazy brave and willing to fight for those she cares for. The power she shares with her sister is strong and not fully understood by either of them. Not everything can be Googled. I liked that they learned their limitations and abilities over time through experience.

Wren is a bit different. She obviously can't talk to a lot of people and has minimal contact with other ghosts because of her close bond to her sister. Loneliness is pretty familiar for her. Then, she suddenly has a few more friends and a living boy who both likes her and can communicate with her. Wren is definitely more friendly, warm, and much less jaded than her sister. I felt for her because she doesn't really have a life of her own. She can explore the Shadowlands and meet other dead people, but she chooses to stick close to her sister and the land of the living. It simply isn't enough to have only one person to interact with. Wren also has a dark side that she rarely indulges in, but it's definitely disturbing and she relishes in it. She hides it from Lark and it'll be interesting to see how deep into it she's willing to go in future books.

The story itself is pretty cool. I liked how Cross wasn't afraid to delve into some darkness and gore, but it was fairly predictable. I expected some wrenches thrown into my expectations, but was a bit disappointed. I also didn't really like many of the human characters beyond Lark. Mace kind of seemed sleazy because he clearly has a crush on Lark, but also has a girlfriend. That girlfriend (her name escapes me) is insufferable. If you thought Lark was a bitch, this girl takes the cake. She's mean for absolutely no reason and stays that way. The writing for Lark and Wren is so good, but this girl is super flat and every time she showed up I wanted to throw the book across the room. Kevin the clairvoyant was mediocre and the other human characters just kind of jumble together in my mind. The cover really bothers me. The concept is good, but the photoshop looks awful.

Overall, Sisters of Blood and Spirit was a fun book. I always like dark stories with fun characters. Everything was not always gloom and doom. Cross brings in humor to lighten the mood and break up some of the heaviness. The ending is satisfying without tying everything up too neatly and I would eagerly pick up the next book. ( )
  titania86 | Oct 4, 2015 |
Another book that I thought would be good. Sadly I was mistaken. I struggled to get to chapter six. This was even after I got to chapter four and read several other books before I picked up this book again to try and give it another chance. That is when I got to chapter six and finally put the book down for good. There was nothing intriguing in the six chapters that I read that made me want to keep reading this book. Neither Wren or Lark had any endearing qualities either. Which Wren is the bad twin and Lark is supposed to be the good twin but she was more mousy than anything. ( )
  Cherylk | Apr 25, 2015 |

Wren Noble is dead—she was born that way. Vibrant, unlike other dead things, she craves those rare moments when her twin sister allows her to step inside her body and experience the world of the living.

Lark Noble is alive but often feels she belongs in the muted Shadow Lands—the realm of the dead. Known as the crazy girl who talks to her dead sister, she doesn't exactly fit in with the living, though a recent suicide attempt and time in a psych ward have proved to her she's not ready to join her sister in the afterlife.

Now the guy who saved Lark's life needs her to repay the favor. He and his friends have been marked for death by the malevolent spirit of a vicious and long-dead serial killer, and the twins—who should know better than to mess with the dead—may be their only hope of staying alive.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:15:46 -0400)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,938,276 books! | Top bar: Always visible