Trails & Targets: (Dangerous Darlyns) by…

Trails & Targets: (Dangerous Darlyns)

by Kelly Eileen Hake

204515,329 (4.25)None

Bea is a sharpshooter. Grey is a bone picker. What could they possibly have in common? Not much, it would seem. But the attraction between them is unmistakable. When Grey becomes the man the Darlyn sisters depend on after the death of their father, what’s a man to do? Fall in love, of course.

Bea and her sisters, each talented in their own skills, are a natural for a wild west show, but all they care about is their family and farm. Cheated out of their farm by a dishonest banker with ideas of his own about the sisters, Grey Wilder takes over. The resulting relationship between him and Bea is somewhat comical, often dramatic and always romantic.

Kelly Eileen Hake has a beautiful writing style full of originality, feeling and hope. Nothing is too dark, too helpless or too sad that the hope of God cannot shine through. Looking forward to more Darlyn romance stories in the future.

I received this book from bookfun.org in exchange for my honest opinion.
  ksucindy | Nov 16, 2015 |
This was a wonderful romantic Christian romance. The Darlyn family is great. I look forward to reading the sisters stories. They need to open up a Wild West show of their own and show what women can do. I enjoyed the romance between Grason and Beatrix. It was nice to see how these characters developed during the story. I received this book from book fun.org for a fair and honest opinion. ( )
  Virginia51 | May 12, 2015 |
Title: Trails & Targets (Dangerous Darlyns #1)
Author: Kelly Eileen Hake
Pages: 328
Year: 2014
Publisher: Shiloh Run Press
Greyson Wilder is a bone picker. He and his partner travel the west to gather up the bones of buffaloes, take them to market where the bones are sold for money. He has quit his job as a Chicago police officer after the death of his wife and unborn child. He has carried a grudge against God since that time and withdrawn from people. He agrees to his partners request to barter with the wagon full of women in the town of Tallgrass, but then they will leave town. One thing leads to another and before Greyson knows it he has agreed to stay and help plant spring crops while his partner takes the bones to Chicago.
Bea Darlyn has been in the role of mother since the age of nine. She is now twenty and longs for a family of her own, but only if she is married to the right man. She learned her lesson when her former fiancé wanted her to move to Oregon after their engagement was announced. She could never leave her family with her father being so ill. That engagement ended a couple of years ago. With Bea’s expertise in firearms and Irish heritage, she and her sisters are at odds with the mostly German town folk as their weapons skills are deemed unladylike. Now Greyson Wilder has entered Bea’s life and she is attracted to his good looks, but even more to his good character. He has told her he will be moving on to Canada and has no intention of staying in Tallgrass.
I have enjoyed this author’s previous works better than this one so I’m not ruling out reading the next book in the series, but this one is just so-so. I probably will read book two to see if it is an improvement over the first one. This book isn’t terrible, but it isn’t great either. The characters felt flat to me and I didn’t make a connection with either of the two main characters in this first story. The second book, Slings and Arrows, will focus on the character of Ariel. If I had to choose a favorite character, then she is the one I liked the best so I hope her story is more interesting.
My rating is 3 stars.
Note: I received a complimentary copy for an honest review of this book. The opinions shared in this review are solely my responsibility. Other reviews can be read at http://seekingwithallyurheart.blogspot.com/. Also follow me on Twitter @lcjohnson1988, FaceBook at https://www.facebook.com/lisa.johnson.75457 ( )
  lcjohnson1988 | Jan 2, 2015 |
Trails & Tangles, Book 1 of the Dangerous Darlyns series by Kelly Eileen Hake
Shiloh Run Press
ISBN 9781628367720
Christian Fiction, Historical, Western Romance
The Darlyns are four bachrlorette’s, that live with their ill father in the Old West. He has taught them to take care of themselves. They can out shoot, throw a knife, ride and rope better than any of the men around. They are also smart, quick witted and great cooks. Beatrix “Bea” being the oldest tries to keep everyone in line and take care of her family. Bea is being harassed by the town bully. When Grayson runs into Bea and her sister in town he comes to their rescue. He follows them home for a thank you dinner and stays for an extended period of time. Can Grey help save her family home and win Bea’s heart? Well you will have to read this wonderful four star book to find out.
Kelly Eileen Hake did a great job of bringing life to the characters. They were adventurous, witty and strong women of noble character and faith. I give Trails & Tangles 4 stars.
Quote: “ The Dalyns would stand out in any setting, but Grey couldn’t help thinking they’d find more acceptance and appreciation in a larger, more diverse town. Not that they showed any indication to leave. Drought and debt inspired redoubled efforts, not despair. Their crops might fail but Darlyn roots ran too deep for them to seek out greener pastures elsewhere.
Impractical, but understandable. When they’d cut a road into a ravine and coaxed crops from a dry stream bed, they’d build more than a farm. They carved a place for themselves amid the unforgiving plains, a home so cozy that even Grey fought a reluctance to leave.”
I want to thank the author Kelly Eileen Hake and publisher Shiloh Run Press for bringing good clean Christian books like this one to readers like me. I would also like to thank The Book Club Network Inc. for providing me with this book in exchange for my honest review. ( )
  inspiremichelle | Nov 14, 2014 |

aThe four Darlyn sisters discover the family farm is mortgaged to the hilt when their father falls desperately ill. Plagued by a creditor with designs on more than their land, will a traveling stranger be the answer to their prayers? Greyson Wilder, searching for buffalo bones, is surprised to find himself saddled with a slew of sisters, instead. But its the eldestsharpshooting Beatrixwho hits the mark of his lonely heart. Armed with courage, cleverness, and some seriously unconventional skills, Grey and Bea just might find a new future to fight for. Join the fun on a journey filled with trouble, Trails & Targets!… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,429,039 books! | Top bar: Always visible