Under My Skin (The Immortality Strain…

Under My Skin (The Immortality Strain Series) (Volume 1)

by Shawntelle Madison

Read all my reviews on http://urlphantomhive.booklikes.com

I think in the end I just didn't want to be under Tate's skin. But the cover was so beautiful!

It's a Dystopian that starts with a simple aptitude test. Tate's results aren't normal, and she's selected for serving the Guild. No one seems to mind that selection is done via this very weird form of applying. It's more like a sort of slavery.

Immediately Tate, who's the special snowflake from around the corner, starts thinking something must be off. What exactly is a 'water bearer'? Why does the water taste funny? I don't mind Tate having a mind of her own (ironical pun intended) but what annoys me is that it's yet another novel where the heroin is the only person to have this questions. The rest is just a meek flock of water bearers.

The idea is of course shocking, distasteful and highly unethical, but these are not even my biggest problems with it. It didn't make any sense. I'm supposed to believe that no-one except a lucky few are aware that people are taking possession of other people's body in order to stay young? How do you explain the differences in person? The General for example now suddenly is a woman? What's the strategical purpose of that? Don't tell me it is because he likes to wear a dress.

And besides, if you're able to create this system, why not find ways to upgrade your normal body? It would definitely make more sense.

Then there's a romance. I did not see that coming! I didn't like it, that's all I'm going to tell about it.

The writing wasn't that bad but the story bored me quite quickly. It just wasn't for me.

Thanks to the publisher and Netgalley for providing me with a free copy of this book in exchange for an honest review! ( )
  Floratina | May 26, 2016 |
First of all I just love the cover on this book. She is beautiful, elegantly dressed and yet at the same time seems uncomfortable in her skin as if that isn't the real person. I basically fell in love with this particular book due to its cover and am pleasantly surprised by the novel itself, which kept pace with the cover.

And again first of all the writing is simple and there isn't that much rough pieces to swallow so it could be read by young adults and adults alike without worry that it crosses the line.

What stands out for me on this particular book is the balance of the book itself - regular teenish, creepy, drama, twisted, annoyingly calm and emotional. And all of this is grounded by the fact that Tate's world is almost similar to what some of us face while the advancements of their military has led to such government abuse, which we can see in our own world.

It is a refreshing book that kept nagging at me that I had read something similar although I cannot put my finger exactly on it. And Tate sounds like an actual teen of her age - indecisive, reluctant, rebellious yet easily crushed. Her heart is in the right place but I honestly think that her cousin had more of a story, more personality than her in some sense.

There are two things that I saw in reviews that some people fretted. Just like one or two I would have loved to know more about the world that she was in but since of the length of the book, the type of person she was before becoming a Water Bearer and the leash she had on her the restrictions to where she was as a character definitely made enough sense. Any later books may be able to add to this world later on.

And I saw a complaint or two about Tate and Quinn falling in love with each or including a bit romance that didn't seem like there was much basis. It reminds me of "Speed" where you had an even more unlikely romance while the reader needs to remember these are both young adults with hormones so even if the world was collapsing they would still be infatuated with each other.

All in all this is definitely a keeper. Although the ending didn't seem like it had finished just right there was enough closure to end the book if it was the only one but also another of an opening to continue a series although in my honest sense I would love to see more of Tyson and Zoe :).

**Received this book as part of the Giveaway at Goodreads.com for free in exchange for a review** ( )
  flamingrosedrakon | Aug 26, 2015 |
I had absolutely ZERO issue getting into UNDER MY SKIN. Not only did I really enjoy the characters, but the world was awesome and the whole concept of the story was unique and interesting. Even with the blurb I didn't fully GET what was going to happen. I had an idea but I didn't realize how much more there was to my idea. I don't want to spoil anything for the reader so I won't go further into the details.

Tate can't possibly understand why she was picked to be a water bearer. She finds nothing special about herself and has no clue what the fuss over her is. She had no want to be a water bearer, but she is thankful that her cousin Zoe was picked along with her. Tate was great. She doesn't do anything quietly and refuses to give up on herself and Zoe even though the odds are stacked against her. Don't get me wrong she has her moments of weakness, but she was a bad-ass and she knew it.

I wanted a little more out of the romance between Tate and Quinn. There were plenty of feelings there, but I wasn't totally able to fall into their story as a couple. I also felt the final showdown between Tate and General Dagon was lacking. The whole book leads up to this point. Tate has her chance to be free of him and it's just over in a few moments. I wanted more out of it.

I am very interested in seeing how book 2 will start out. Tate has some big shoes to fit into and I can't wait to see if she pulls off her deception.

* This book was provided free of charge from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review. ( )
  STACYatUFI | Dec 9, 2014 |

Shawntelle Madison is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 120,630,693 books! | Top bar: Always visible