Island of Shipwrecks by Lisa McMann

Island of Shipwrecks

by Lisa McMann

Absolutetly wonderful book. Would recomend to anyone. Book pulls you into an amazing world and can keep you there for hours. Wonderful characters great story line. An absolute must read for YA lovers! ( )
  dmytrukc | Mar 13, 2017 |
This is more like it! Much better than the last book. Half of our cast of characters gets shipwrecked on a hurricane island while those left behind plan for an upcoming attack from Quill. Fast-paced, a page-turner for me. I'd read half the book in my first sitting. One of the major characters dies, which I'm ok with as it keeps the story real knowing anyone could die. Things take a bit of a turn in this volume and it feels like one arc has settled while a new one has begun. I really enjoyed playing with my favourite characters again and like where the story is going. Just two more volumes to go! ( )
  ElizaJane | Oct 29, 2016 |
A risky decision endangers both Artimé and Quill in book five of the New York Times bestselling Unwanteds series, which Kirkus Reviews called "The Hunger Games meets Harry Potter."

Alex and his friends from Artimé are stranded on a newly discovered island after barely surviving a storm that destroys their ship. And it turns out they're not alone...

Back in Quill, Aaron's power base grows as he aligns himself with an unlikely ally. Together, the two enact a drastic, risky plan to finally conquer Artimé-a plan that could ultimately leave everyone in both Artimé and Quill in far more danger than Aaron realizes.
  lkmuir | Nov 23, 2015 |
This is the fifth book in the Unwanteds series by McMann. This was a good continuation of this series. This is another series I am reading because my son likes it and is reading it and likes to discuss the books with me. There are seven books planned in this series with the sixth book, The Island of Graves, scheduled to come out September 2015.

This book follows a number of different characters. Alex and crew are trying to survive their fall down a waterfall and end up on the Island of Shipwrecks. They are desperately trying to find way home. Aaron is preparing Quill to war on Artemis again. The Artemians are eager for news of Alex’s journey and when rumors of a pending attack by Quill reaches them they prepare for battle.

While this isn't my favorite middle grade fantasy series it is a decent one and has an interesting story. I like the magic in it and there is some excellent world-building here.

The story jumps between a lot of characters, so I have some trouble engaging with the characters and staying engaged in the story. I like reading about Alex and Sky the best. Aaron’s portions of the story are always a bit of a drag to get through. There are just so many characters it is hard to keep track of everyone. This is something my eight year old son also mentioned he said “Mom there are just so many characters I wish I got to read about each one a bit more.” This is one of those books where I think all the POVs are fracturing the story quite a bit.

One of the big revelations in this story is Gondoleery’s plan. She’s been lurking in the background of this series for quite a while and this is the book where her plans and ambitions finally come to light.

This book wraps up pretty well and doesn't end on a huge awful cliffhanger like The Island of Legends did...so I am grateful for that.

Overall a decent continuation of this series. I think if you are a huge fan of this series you will really enjoy this book. I personally have thought all of these books are just okay but continue to read it because my son enjoys them. The main issues with the book are the huge numbers of characters and the multitude of perspectives the story is told from; it just makes it very hard to engage with the characters. There is some excellent world -building in here though and I continue to enjoy the magic use in these books (although some of the novelty of that has worn off as well). If my son continues to read these I will probably read them as well. ( )
  krau0098 | Mar 21, 2015 |

Lisa McMann is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,090,446 books! | Top bar: Always visible