The Tiger Rising by Kate DiCamillo

The Tiger Rising (2001)

by Kate DiCamillo

English (53)  German (1)  Swedish (1)  All languages (55)
Powerful realistic fiction that pulls at your heart strings. Strong characterization and an interesting setting. Great for intermediate-middle school students. I love using this book as a read aloud for the students in my classroom. Builds empathy and compassion for others. ( )
  rachelmuegge | Jul 23, 2014 |
This was a nice, quick audiobook for my kids and me to listen to on the way to and from the doctor's office this past week. (That sounds more ominous than it is. It was just an annual checkup at a doctor's office that's a good distance away along a route that's very trafficky. Not that most people reading this review care much about the details of our physical health, but I do have family members who read these reviews sometimes and I don't want to scare anyone. So, don't worry, Mom...we're all well for the moment, except for your grandson who has a runny nose which he keeps wiping on my shirt whenever he gives me a hug.)

Anyway, this book was good. The chapters were too short for my taste---we'd just start getting a good head of steam and the chapter would end---but the opening was excellent and the interactions between the characters seemed genuine and only slightly melodramatic. And as a homeschooler, I have a perverse affinity for any book that makes conventional school look awful. Helps keep my kids in line.

One big problem I had, though, and this might be a spoiler so look away if you don't want even a bit of spoiling:

As far as I can tell, it's illegal in Florida for a private citizen to keep any species of big cat, but no one bothered to suggest calling the authorities and having the tiger put into a zoo. (Or forcing the owner to relocate to Alabama.) I suppose that wouldn't have been as satisfying an ending. Kind of like when my kids learned about the bear that was poached here in Massachusetts a year or so ago, and the story turned out to be this epic tale of law enforcement jurisdiction, government bureaucracy, and forensic science. It was all interesting, but not in an exciting way. Had it not involved the kids dressing up in bear costumes and lab coats and wielding fake guns, I'm not sure it would have held their attention. ( )
  ImperfectCJ | Mar 28, 2014 |
This book is about a boy who finds a Tiger in the woods locked up in a cage. He also meets a girl too. She shows him how Tigers and memories can't be locked up. The start becoming having a great bond together and learn more secrets. The boy's mother died of cancer and he is with his father. He goes through his life like a sleepwalker. He takes of the responsibility of taking care of the tiger.
I like this book when I read it. I felt like I was there as Rob. Rob is the boy in the story. I love tigers, so when I read this I got into it deeply. I was hoping that nothing bad would happen to the tiger. I felt bad for Rob when he was going through hard times. I liked how the girl halped him cope with stress. ( )
  MartinP.G3 | Mar 21, 2014 |
Rob Horton is 12 years old and lives with his father in a Florida motel called the Kentucky Star. The father and son have recently moved to Lister, Florida,after his mom died. He meets a girl named Sistine Bailey, whose parents broke up after her father had an affair.This book is very suspensfull and detaild and is one of my favorite books.
  TylerR.B3 | Mar 19, 2014 |
A nice story. Very weird to have a tiger in the woods locked up. Well written and very nice. Not the normal amount of death and gore that plagues most middle readers. The main character has a skin condition but the tragic meter is not too far off the scale. His mother is of course deaad, but that happened before the story begins. ( )
  geniemagik | Dec 5, 2013 |

Kate DiCamilloprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Baker, DylanNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For my brother

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0763618985, Paperback)

Kate DiCamillo's first novel Because of Winn-Dixie won a Newbery Honor in 2000 for the no-nonsense charm and wisdom of its down-home young heroine, Opal. Also set in Florida, The Tiger Rising is more of a short story in scope, the tale of 12-year-old Rob Horton who finds a caged tiger in the woods behind the Kentucky Star Motel where he lives with his dad. The tiger is so incongruous in this setting, Rob views the apparition as some sort of magic trick. Indeed, the tiger triggers all sorts of magic in Rob's life--for one thing, it takes his mind off his recently deceased mother and the itchy red blisters on his legs that the wise motel housekeeper, Willie May, says is a manifestation of the sadness that Rob keeps "down low."

Something else for Rob to think about is Sistine (as in the chapel), a new city girl with fierce black eyes who challenges him to be honest with her and himself. Spurred by the tiger, events collide to break Rob out of his silent introspection, to form a new friendship with Sistine, a new understanding with his father, and most important, to lighten his heart. This novel is about cages--the consequences of escape as well as imprisonment. The story and symbolism are clear as a bell, and the emotions ring true. (Ages 9 and older) --Karin Snelson

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:32:21 -0400)

Rob, who passes the time in his rural Florida community by wood carving, is drawn by his spunky but angry friend Sistine into a plan to free a caged tiger.

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Candlewick Press

Two editions of this book were published by Candlewick Press.

Editions: 0763618985, 0763609110

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,737,718 books! | Top bar: Always visible