The Tiger Rising by Kate DiCamillo

The Tiger Rising (original 2001; edition 2002)

by Kate DiCamillo

Member:compskibook
Title:The Tiger Rising
Authors:Kate DiCamillo
Info:Candlewick (2002), Paperback, 128 pages
Collections:Classroom Storage

The Tiger Rising by Kate DiCamillo (2001)

English (74)  German (1)  Swedish (1)  All (76)
Based upon my read of Because of Winn Dixie,I decided to give this book a try, because I like how this author writes. I found most of this book was no exception to my previous estimation of her prose...but I was a little "put-off" by the ending. Worth a read. ( )
  fuzzi | Apr 1, 2017 |
What an awesome book! This one is so full of symbolism. ( )
  annabw | Feb 21, 2017 |
Summary: Rob lives at the Kentucky Star Motel in Florida. He is kicked out of school because of the rash that is all over his legs. Being suspended from school is a relief for Rob, as he has been mercilessly bullied on the bus and at school. His only regret, is that he's just met the new girl, Sistine, who is pretty on the outside, but tough as nails. Sistine will not bow under the brutality of her bullies. Rob finds a way to tell Sistine about his secret. He has found a tiger in a cage out in the woods behind the Kentucky Star Motel. Sistine is insistent on giving the tiger its freedom, but Rob isn't so sure. Rob lives with his sad and distant father who has recently been widowed and won't allow Rob to talk about his mom. He is being bullied by the Motel owner, and he doesn't know how to open up or be a friend to Sistine. This book has a tear-jerker ending, but brings fulfillment and hope at the same time.
Personal Response: This book was deep. I was instantly emotionally invested in the characters, and I think that Kate DiCamillo's strength is in developing her characters, and bringing that connection between the reader and the characters. I wanted the best for this poor and emotionally disconnected boy. I wanted a happy ending for him, because no happy ending seemed possible. I was satisfied with the ending because, it was "real" and not a perfect fairytale like ending.
Curriculum Connection: Because this book is only 119 pages, it could easily be used for a bookclub or small group during school. The themes of bullying and loss are both current topics that would help students connect with their own lives. Being in a lower income Title 1 school, I think that a lot of our 4th-6th grade students would be able to engage in meaningful discussions regarding this book. It also has good lessons on friendship, and how sometimes our closest friends are not our own age, but sometimes our closest friends can be much older and wiser than us. As a librarian, I will simply continue to recommend this book. ( )
  rjrubylou | Feb 8, 2017 |
Rob and his dad live in the Kentucky Star Motel. Rob's mom died and he and his dad are hiding their grief. Rob gets beat up by bullies every day. Along comes Sistine who has her own anger issues, and life changes for Rob. Add in Willie May, Beauchamp, and a tiger, and you have a story of bravery, hope, and redemption.
  edwardcandler | Feb 8, 2017 |
very good book, but sad ending. ( )
  ChloeLaird | Nov 28, 2016 |

Kate DiCamilloprimary authorall editionscalculated
Baker, DylanNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For my brother
That morning, after he discovered the tiger, Rob went and stood under the Kentucky Star Motel sign and waited for the school bus just like it was any other day.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0763618985, Paperback)

Kate DiCamillo's first novel Because of Winn-Dixie won a Newbery Honor in 2000 for the no-nonsense charm and wisdom of its down-home young heroine, Opal. Also set in Florida, The Tiger Rising is more of a short story in scope, the tale of 12-year-old Rob Horton who finds a caged tiger in the woods behind the Kentucky Star Motel where he lives with his dad. The tiger is so incongruous in this setting, Rob views the apparition as some sort of magic trick. Indeed, the tiger triggers all sorts of magic in Rob's life--for one thing, it takes his mind off his recently deceased mother and the itchy red blisters on his legs that the wise motel housekeeper, Willie May, says is a manifestation of the sadness that Rob keeps "down low."

Something else for Rob to think about is Sistine (as in the chapel), a new city girl with fierce black eyes who challenges him to be honest with her and himself. Spurred by the tiger, events collide to break Rob out of his silent introspection, to form a new friendship with Sistine, a new understanding with his father, and most important, to lighten his heart. This novel is about cages--the consequences of escape as well as imprisonment. The story and symbolism are clear as a bell, and the emotions ring true. (Ages 9 and older) --Karin Snelson

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:11:04 -0400)

Rob, who passes the time in his rural Florida community by wood carving, is drawn by his spunky but angry friend Sistine into a plan to free a caged tiger.

Candlewick Press

2 editions of this book were published by Candlewick Press.

Editions: 0763618985, 0763609110

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 113,792,295 books! | Top bar: Always visible