The tiger rising by Kate DiCamillo

The tiger rising (original 2001; edition 2001)

by Kate DiCamillo

Member:KatherineHaley
Title:The tiger rising
Authors:Kate DiCamillo (Author)
Info:Cambridge, Mass. : Candlewick Press, 2001.
Collections:school year 2012

The Tiger Rising by Kate DiCamillo (2001)

English (61)  German (1)  Swedish (1)  All languages (63)
This is a quick read, by an excellent author. The plot is thin, but the character development is great. All of the characters are intriguing and bring a level of interest to the story. Many readers will be pulled into the story by the desire to get to know the characters better, to see what they will say and do next. Young readers will relate to the bully dilemma and caged animal dilemma that face the two main characters. ( )
  valorrmac | Aug 19, 2015 |
I absolutely loved this book. My favorite part about it was the symbolism and how it really drives the story. I really enjoyed the interaction between Sistine and Rob and the ways that their complete opposite natures leads them to be the best of friends. This is a moving story that really gives the reader a heavy heart, while teaching important lessons about the way to deal with loss, as if it were a wild animal in a cage. I think that too often in children's books, the symbolism only has one clear meaning, however, I found that the symbolism in this book was very open to interpretation, especially the tiger. I also love that the tiger represents loss for both Sistine and Rob, but in very different ways. This book is very complex and up to interpretation which would be great to prepare students for middle school. I really want to teach this book in my classroom someday. ( )
  alaina.loescher | Aug 11, 2015 |
Like too many young adult books, this one is heavy with sorrow and meaning and lots of stuff to overcome. Also much to think about and discuss. ( )
  raizel | Jul 3, 2015 |
In this book there is a boy named Rob. He has dots/ lumps on his legs and wears shorts and a T-shirt. In the beginning Rob goes walking in the forest before school and finds a tiger. A new girl, named Sistine gets on the bus to school. Rob and Sistine have many sad and great times throughout the whole book. I like the book because it has life lessons and fantasy. I recommend this to anyone anywhere - if they have this book in different languages. ( )
  SampsonK | May 25, 2015 |
This book hits some heavy issues from the first page. A young boy has lost his mother. His father is cold and distant. They move from their home state to live in a motel in Florida. He’s being bullied by his fellow sixth grade classmates. He meets a girl named Sistine who becomes his only friend. DiCamillo is a talented author and in this book she tackles the danger of ignoring your grief and sorrow. When we ignore our hurt or bury it, it never goes away.

BOTTOM LINE: I enjoyed this one, but if I was giving it to a younger audience I would make sure I followed the reading with a discussion of the issues.

“Ain’t nobody going to come and rescue you. You got to rescue yourself.”

“Rob realized why he liked Sistine so much. He liked her because when she saw something beautiful, the sound of her voice changed.” ( )
  bookworm12 | May 8, 2015 |

Kate DiCamilloprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Baker, DylanNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For my brother
That morning, after he discovered the tiger, Rob went and stood under the Kentucky Star Motel sign and waited for the school bus just like it was any other day.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0763618985, Paperback)

Kate DiCamillo's first novel Because of Winn-Dixie won a Newbery Honor in 2000 for the no-nonsense charm and wisdom of its down-home young heroine, Opal. Also set in Florida, The Tiger Rising is more of a short story in scope, the tale of 12-year-old Rob Horton who finds a caged tiger in the woods behind the Kentucky Star Motel where he lives with his dad. The tiger is so incongruous in this setting, Rob views the apparition as some sort of magic trick. Indeed, the tiger triggers all sorts of magic in Rob's life--for one thing, it takes his mind off his recently deceased mother and the itchy red blisters on his legs that the wise motel housekeeper, Willie May, says is a manifestation of the sadness that Rob keeps "down low."

Something else for Rob to think about is Sistine (as in the chapel), a new city girl with fierce black eyes who challenges him to be honest with her and himself. Spurred by the tiger, events collide to break Rob out of his silent introspection, to form a new friendship with Sistine, a new understanding with his father, and most important, to lighten his heart. This novel is about cages--the consequences of escape as well as imprisonment. The story and symbolism are clear as a bell, and the emotions ring true. (Ages 9 and older) --Karin Snelson

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:11:04 -0400)

Rob, who passes the time in his rural Florida community by wood carving, is drawn by his spunky but angry friend Sistine into a plan to free a caged tiger.

Candlewick Press

2 editions of this book were published by Candlewick Press.

Editions: 0763618985, 0763609110

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,150,905 books! | Top bar: Always visible