Our Kind of Love by Victoria Purman
521,436,638 (4.5)None
Recently added byAsh_P, tullae, birdsam0610, shelleyraec

Some books you just know are going to be great before you’ve got to the end of the first sentence. Our Kind of Love is that kind of book. The final in the Boys of Summer trilogy, this book shows just how much both the book’s characters and the author, Victoria Purman have grown during the series. It was a great read, full of characters with baggage and conflicting goals.

Although the Boys of Summer series is set in the South Australian seaside town of Middle Point (think close to Victor Harbor), one of the main characters, Anna, is city born and bred. Anna is the ex-girlfriend of Dan (who is involved now in a relationship with Lizzie) and friend of Ry. Anna meets Joe, Lizzie’s brother, at the wedding of Ry and Julia. She’s heartbroken and dreading telling her strict Italian family that she’s divorcing her husband for cheating on her. So when things get messy after a drink or two, why not have a night of fun with Joe? The next morning Anna thinks of plenty of good reasons why she should leave. She’s a busy GP with a community waiting for her each day. She’s got things to do; she needs to forget about Middle Point and Joe. But things aren’t that easy – is this a relationship or just fun? Anna’s just seen her happily ever after turn to dust, will she risk that happening again?

I loved the sense of community depicted in Our Kind of Love. So many different types, but all show the love and care for each other. There’s Anna’s family, fierce in their desire to protect Anna and the Adelaide Italian community, watching for their local doc carefully. Finally, there’s the less conventional community of friends – Anna, Joe, Lizzie, Dan, Julia and Ry, who love each other just as strongly as any family. The feeling of friendship and care just beams from the pages.

Anna was a great heroine for me, as she’s bold and feisty but also vulnerable and uncertain. I thought it was great how Victoria Purman revealed Anna’s concerns about her lack of children and letting the family down. It felt very realistic and I loved how Anna dropped an Italian swear word or two when she was frustrated! Plus the Italian food was heavenly… Joe was a hero who had lost his direction career wise and I felt that Anna played a very strong role in him helping to see himself as a worthy individual again. The relationship was more than just sex, but assisting each other to grow as a person and heal after difficult times.

If you’re read the other books in the series, there are plenty of scenes involving the other couples and progression of their lives. In fact, there are some very special moments to look forward to.

I’m going to miss Middle Point and Victoria Purman’s characters, who are as real to me as my own friends. I’ve loved this series which expertly balances romance and friendships in a beautiful setting.

Thank you to Harlequin for the eARC. I have provided an honest, unbiased review here.

http://samstillreading.wordpress.com ( )
  birdsam0610 | Nov 26, 2014 |
Our Kind of Love is the third and final book in Victoria Purman’s wonderful coastal romance trilogy, The Boys of Summer, set on the Fleurieu Peninsula of South Australia.

This sweet and sexy installment sees Joe, Lizzie’s brother, who has recently returned to Middle Point after his wife left him for his best mate on the same day that he was made redundant from his job as an investigative newspaper journalist, fall hard for Dr Anna Morelli, a ‘good Italian Catholic girl’ reeling after discovering her husband has been cheating on her for most of their marriage, who breaks all of her own rules when she spends the night with Joe after Ry and Julia’s wedding.

Joe and Anna’s story is all about giving love a second chance. There is plenty of chemistry between them, illustrated by a couple of toe-curling encounters, but their romantic path is strewn with obstacles. With the romance genre, it’s important to me that I believe in the reasons for conflict between the couple. I felt that Purman managed this well, creating realistic emotional and practical issues to divide Joe and Anna, and as the story is set over a period of about nine months or so, the relationship is given the time to evolve naturally.

I love that Julia and Ry (Nobody But Him), and Lizzie and Dan (Someone Like You) play such a big part in this novel. It’s lovely to see how their relationships have developed past their ‘happy ever after’ endings.

Our Kind of Love is a delightful read and I have enjoyed the romance, drama, humour and heat that has characterised the trilogy. I’m a little sad to say goodbye to The Boys of Summer but I am excited to learn what we can expect next from Victoria Purman. ( )
  shelleyraec | Nov 5, 2014 |

Dr Anna Morelli rarely makes mistakes. But this one is big, bordering on huge. Somewhere between sunset and sunrise at the simple beachside wedding of two old friends, she's cried in the ladies bathroom, danced to too many ABBA songs and survived the best, knock your socks off one night stand in recorded history. Has she gone crazy? She's supposed to be running from the disasters in her life, not creating more.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 120,787,147 books! | Top bar: Always visible