The Missing and the Dead by Stuart MacBride

The Missing and the Dead (2015)

by Stuart MacBride

Book nine in the Logan McRae series and the first book I have read (but not the last).

There were moments in this book when I felt that I didn't read one book; I was reading at least 2-3 books just made into one. It wasn't just the thickness of the book; it was the fact that there was so much going on that it almost left me feeling exhausted just reading it. There is so much going one beside the case of the little girl that is washed up outside the town Banff; the hunt for drug dealers, shoplifters, the trial of a killer and what felt like thousands of other things that the police in rural Aberdeenshire had to deal with.

But it worked; it worked really well, even though I felt a bit lost in the beginning trying to get to grip with the book's story and its characters. I mean this is book nine, and there is a lot of history I missed since I haven't read the first eight books. But still I got some information now and then that made me slowly get to grip with Logan and also with Roberta Steel. I love her; seriously, she is like a female version of Dalziel (Daziel and Pasco by Reginald Hill). Yes, she is blunt and pig-headed, but she is also funny and quite formidable. Also, there is Logan's cat Cthulhu. Best name ever?

The book is great. Yes, I felt overwhelmed by the story sometimes, but Stuart Macbride really manages to make all the different parts in this book come together in the end. Usually, I'm used to the police be able to just focus on a case or two, but here, there are always things going on. I mean they have to move cows from roads, get lost old people home safe, stakeouts etc. all the while trying to find a child killer.

The biggest problem for me with the book was that I had some hard time getting into the book in the beginning. I felt a bit lost when it came to the story and the characters and it took me a while to really feel that I got the rhythm of the book. Also, I hate it when children are the victim and no matter how well written a book is it's a subject I have the most problems reading about.

But still, despite that I liked the book very much and even though the book was very dark sometimes was there also many humorous moments (I bookmarked many pages when I read my pdf copy) and I have borrowed from the library the first four books in the series and I will read them this summer!

4.5 stars

I received a copy from the publisher and Partners In Crime Virtual Book Tours in return for an honest review! ( )
  MaraBlaise | Dec 14, 2017 |
My favourite series of books just keeps on giving. The black humour is a relief from the truly horrific crimes and Logan almost constant state of exasperation is brilliant. However it is DI Steele who is the true work of genius for me. The most disgusting and annoying human being ever invented in fiction and I can't get enough of her.
My only negative is that there was less humour in this book than some of the others but it's a minor gripe. Roll on book 10. ( )
  angelaoatham | Feb 21, 2017 |
3.5 stars

Stuart MacBride is one of my favorite authors. The characters he has created in this series are simply fantastic: from long-suffering Acting DI Logan McRae, who somehow always ends up on top, to the crusty and disgusting DCI Roberta Steel, along with all of the supporting cast of characters, each with their own personalities and quirkiness. His ability to weave complex stories and plots, complete with local lingo and the banter between the characters is exceptional.

I’m not sure what to say about this one. There were some significant changes to the characters here, from location and position, and I’m not sure it worked all that well. There was a real lack of tension that was standard in the other books, and this one really meandered for about three-quarters of the book. There was simply too much going on, from the incessant calls from control to check out something suspicious, to the side-story of the ATM smash-and-grabs that really did nothing for the overall story.

The tension finally arrived in the final quarter of the book, and it felt like the old Logan McRae. If the author could have cut out the extra stuff and further developed the central storyline, it would fit right in with the rest of the series instead of feeling like something cobbled together over a few weekends. ( )
  ssimon2000 | May 31, 2016 |
This is number nine in the Logan McRae series of books. Its my first encounter with Logan and book number nine is a long way down As always I prefer to read in order purely to get to know the characters and their back stories.

This book was very busy. Logan apparantly now in uniform and street patrolling. Lots if criminals and crimes get his attention. I felt too many and too much was going on. Each crime had its own beginning middle and end.

This book was a chunk to read. At first I was really enjoying it but as the book progressed it really did start to give me a headache.

If the rest of the books are like this in the series then I feel that they are not for me. Too much going on with not a lot happening at times. Its a shame really because I quite liked Logan but not the messy book. ( )
  tina1969 | Apr 24, 2016 |
To find Detective Inspector Logan McRae in uniform doing divisional policing in the wilds of rural Aberdeenshire rather than in his native Aberdeen is quite a change.
On the upside, he has escaped from DCI Roberta Steel, his potty-mouthed impossible boss, but Logan is used to big city crime so village vandals, traffic offenders, shoplifters and missing animals fail to thrill.
All that changes when the body of a young girl is found and he is back doing what he does best, investigating murder – hindered more than helped by the Major Investigation Team from Aberdeen, headed by the brilliant but invariably infuriating Inspector Steel.
Exciting, often hilarious and occasionally romantic, The Missing and the Dead is another first class thriller from the talented Stuart MacBride. ( )
  adpaton | Dec 31, 2015 |
For the brave loons and quines

who made

Grampian Police the great force it was
Faster.

The new Logan McRae novel from the No. 1 bestselling author of CLOSE TO THE BONE and A SONG FOR THE DYING. One mistake can cost you everything...When you catch a twisted killer there should be a reward, right? What Acting Detective Inspector Logan McRae gets instead is a 'development opportunity' out in the depths of rural Aberdeenshire. Welcome to divisional policing - catching drug dealers, shop lifters, vandals and the odd escaped farm animal. Then a little girl's body washes up just outside the sleepy town of Banff, kicking off a massive manhunt. The Major Investigation Team is up from Aberdeen, wanting answers, and they don't care who they trample over to get them. Logan's got enough on his plate keeping B Division together, but DCI Steel wants him back on her team. As his old colleagues stomp around the countryside, burning bridges, Logan gets dragged deeper and deeper into the investigation. One thing's clear: there are dangerous predators lurking in the wilds of Aberdeenshire, and not everyone's going to get out of this alive...

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:12:50 -0400)

One mistake can cost you everything...When you catch a twisted killer there should be a reward, right? What Acting Detective Inspector Logan McRae gets instead is a 'development opportunity' out in the depths of rural Aberdeenshire. Welcome to divisional policing - catching drug dealers, shop lifters, vandals and the odd escaped farm animal. Then a little girl's body washes up just outside the sleepy town of Banff, kicking off a massive manhunt. The Major Investigation Team is up from Aberdeen, wanting answers, and they don't care who they trample over to get them. Logan's got enough on his plate keeping B Division together, but DCI Steel wants him back on her team. As his old colleagues stomp around the countryside, burning bridges, Logan gets dragged deeper and deeper into the investigation. One thing's clear: there are dangerous predators lurking in the wilds of Aberdeenshire, and not everyone's going to get out of this alive...… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 127,159,883 books! | Top bar: Always visible