Change of Heart by Jude Deveraux

Change of Heart

by Jude Deveraux

Finally finished a book in July! This was more like a 7.5 than an 8, but I enjoyed reading the short story again that was in an older Jude Deveraux book. ( )
  Lvkidsbooks | Nov 11, 2016 |
PART 1: Throughout multiple Jude Deveraux books we have heard about Frank Taggert being such a cold hard-a** so finally getting to really see the real Frank under that and getting to read his story was great. Miranda was such a wonderful character. She was so good and loving which was perfect to help Frank become a better man. Eli and Chelsea (as children) were so wonderfully precocious and lots of fun. I loved Eli and Frank having already had a friendly father/son type of relationship before Frank had even met Miranda and then there relationship actually being instrumental to Frank and Miranda ending up together.

PART 2: Let me start by saying I am happy to be reading a book that takes place in Edilean again as I love this town. I first read Miranda and Frank's story years ago and I have read all of the Edilean books and I didn't place it that Eli was a Edilean Harcourt until I read that he was so of course I am happy to read about that family branch again. I was pretty darn excited to read what had happened after Eli and Chelsea grew up. It was pretty sad that they had lost touch for so long after being so inseparable. I still liked Eli right away and the Eli pretending to be Jeff thing was interesting. It seemed Chelsea grew up to be pretty shallow. As the story develops we see a lot more traits Eli developed over the years from his Taggert relatives. I liked that we got to see that the Chelsea from her childhood was still inside the grown up Chelsea (just hidden pretty well). They had to overcome some obstacles and work out some issues so they could be together. I liked what they plan to do for an occupation now. It suits them very well. ( )
  SweetLiar | May 5, 2016 |
A special thank you to Gallery, Threshold, Pocket Books and NetGalley for an ARC in exchange for an honest review.

Jude Deveraux reunites two childhood friends in a magical holiday tale, A Change of Heart with a mixture of intrigue, historical, and a light contemporary romance.

Wow, I have not read Jude Deveraux in years, (not sure why), when I saw this book on NetGalley requested it and approved. I recall devouring everything she wrote, as so enjoyed the Edilean Series, Montgomery/Taggart, and many stand alones.

No one can magically weave the past with the present (historical fiction with contemporary romance) like Deveraux, a master storyteller. Her books are enchanting and engaging, with intriguing settings, with mystery, colorful characters, and delightful adventurous romance. A Change of Heart is a nice reminder of her compelling and satisfying tales with a combination and continuation of both Montgomery/Taggart and Edilean (if you have read the others, will enjoy catching up with familiar characters).

Eli and Chelsea were a little different when they were growing up. When Eli was twelve he had an IQ over two-hundred. He was a nerd, a little different than most, and his best friend Chelsea, from a wealthy family, is also smart, rich and does not fit in. So the two became a dynamic duo, partners in crime, with many creative adventures and helping many along the way.

As they grow older Eli realizes he can get into any college; however, he cannot go, as there is no one to take care of his mom, Miranda. She has a heart of gold, a lovely woman. Eli’s father, Leslie deserted his wife and son to marry a younger woman.

So Eli and Chelsea look for a suitable husband for Miranda so Eli can pursue his education. When Eli’s friend, billionaire Franklin Taggert, breaks his arm, he goes into seclusion at his rustic mountain cabin. Of course, Eli thinks that Miranda would be the perfect nurse – a match!

In the present day, over twenty years later, Eli buys a house in Edilean, Virginia and invites his old friend Chelsea for a visit. Of course they both have their own busy lives. However, Eli has turned into a tall, good-looking man and Chelsea is a famous model jetsetting around the world, and returns home visiting with family.

Chelsea has not been in touch during these missed years, and Eli has never forgotten her. They both are playing cat and mouse games and Chelsea is bullied into going by her parents. They use all kinds of crazy games, as the two are different now; however, they find themselves wrapped up in a mystery, with a family who needs to be rescued, and possibly a little more as they find their way back to one another.

It was so nice to catch up with characters and reminder of what I have been missing! A mix of humor, romance, history, and surprises for some holiday magic.
  JudithDCollins | Nov 27, 2014 |
I’ve read Frank and Miranda’s story featuring Eli and Chelsea many times over the years since the story was initially published. So I got excited about this story and pre-ordered it. I wish I’d waited until finding out that the story I already knew so well takes up 38% of this book and would have gotten this book from the library.

But with that being said, I was surprised to discover that changes had been made to the original story and certainly make Frank and Miranda’s story more romantic. The gist of it is still the same. So the first part of the book has Eli and Chelsea at around the age of 14, always trying to help others and the only way genius-IQ Eli is going to be able to go away to college is if they find someone who can take care of his mother and set up a scam to get his mother and his friend, billionaire Frank Taggert together. Both Michael and Samantha Taggert make an appearance.

The second part of the story takes place twenty years later and Chelsea had cut herself out of Eli’s life when they were still teens. So when they get together again for a visit, it’s a new sleuthing adventure that breaks down the barriers.

Some of the story was outright confusing in the beginning of the second part as Eli, now bulked up from the gym, looks nothing like the scrawny nerd he used to; but his personal assistance looks just like Eli did. Chelsea’s not quite sure which of them is Eli and both of the guys are trying to assume the other’s identity.

What I enjoyed where the other characters and all of the different couple matches that take place in this story. I thought the story finally got interesting in the second part when Eli and Chelsea know something is off and want to help a woman they were sure was just scammed as Eli’s father used to do to his mother. Other than the initial story, I thought the adventure was the best part of the book. ( )
  dearheart | Oct 25, 2014 |
Eli and Chelsea were childhood friends who grew apart but never stopped keeping tabs on each other. Eli decides to purchase a home in Edilean and invites Chelsea to visit. They run across a mystery and join forces to solve it. Various members of the Taggert family from Devereaux's other novels pop up from time to time as well. Humour and the quirky characters kept me turning the pages until the end. ( )
  jo2son | Sep 6, 2014 |
Please do not combine this full-length novel with the short story by Jude Deveraux.

Publisher's note:Two childhood playmates grow into more than just friends in #1 New York Times bestselling author Jude Deveraux’s full-length romantic novel based on her short story of the same name.

In the hugely popular, New York Times bestseller A Holiday of Love, Jude Deveraux wrote a novella about two kids playing matchmakers—Eli and Chelsea, best friends who were determined to find true love for Eli’s bighearted mother. But what happens when these ambitious children grow up? What exactly made Eli’s mother, Miranda, fall in love with Frank all those years ago? And how does that affect their future together?

Eli and Chelsea lost touch with each other over the years, until Eli bought a house in his father’s hometown of Edilean, Virginia, and invited Chelsea for a visit. She had her own life, and was certain that a childhood friendship couldn't be anything more, but she went nonetheless—and found herself quite unprepared for the changes she saw in Eli. And neither of them were prepared to run into a mystery, with a family that needed to be rescued. Now, just like when they were children, they must join together to straighten out a very big problem. The question is what happens after the mystery is solved; they are very different people—so can they stay together?

Combining love and passion with sweet, unexpected twists, and shedding new light on Miranda and Frank’s relationship, Change of Heart is an unforgettable addition to Deveraux’s classic bestselling novels.

Jude Deveraux is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,989,053 books! | Top bar: Always visible