The Golden Specific by S. E. Grove

The Golden Specific (2015)

by S. E. Grove

The second in the Mapmakers Trilogy, it has been one year since Sophia Tims and her friend Theo returned to Boston after their adventure that rewrote the map of the world. Since that time Sophia has been trying to discover where her missing parents might be. She discovers a clue (and a visitation from her missing mother in the form of an apparition) and she is sent on an adventure to the foreign age (where she encounter a middle ages as well as the dark ages and the plague). Theo remains in Boston—ultimately encountering a villain from his past and working to help Shaddrack from ruin and possibly arrest. I love this series—it is complex, intricate and I can’t wait to read the final book. The only thing I was disappointed in was that the majority of the plot keeps Sophia and Theo apart—I loved their relationship and interaction in the first book and missed it in this second. Hopefully this will be resolved in the final book. 4 out of 5 stars. ( )
  marsap | Sep 21, 2016 |
Great story. One of the few stories I've read where the narrative splits and each path is equally interesting. I look forward to the third book. ( )
  remikit | Apr 23, 2016 |
Stupid cliffhanger endings. ( )
  Jammies | Mar 12, 2016 |
I'm not going to review this, I'm just going to say that I think I liked it better than I liked 'The Glass Sentence' and I'm not sure why. Maybe because of Errol? I always like it when the Han Solo/Robin Hood character finally makes an appearance. ( )
  BillieBook | Mar 1, 2016 |
The eagerly-awaited sequel to the best-selling The Glass Sentence -- a historical, fantastical adventure perfect for fans of Philip Pullman!

It is the summer of 1892, one year since Sophia Tims and her friend Theo embarked upon the dangerous adventure that rewrote the map of the world. Since their return home to Boston, she has continued searching for clues to her parents’ disappearance, combing archives and libraries, grasping at even the most slender leads. Theo has apprenticed himself to an explorer in order to follow those leads across the country—but one after another proves to be a dead end.
Then Sophia discovers that a crucial piece of the puzzle exists in a foreign Age. At the same time, Theo discovers that his old life outside the law threatens to destroy the new one he has built with Sophia and her uncle Shadrack. What he and Sophia do not know is that their separate discoveries are intertwined, and that one remarkable person is part of both.
There is a city that holds all of the answers—but it cannot be found on any map. Surrounded by plague, it can only be reached by a journey through darkness and chaos, which is at the same time the plague’s cure: The Golden Specific.
  lkmuir | Nov 23, 2015 |

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:15:35 -0400)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,987,587 books! | Top bar: Always visible