Jubilee Manor (Landry Park) by Bethany Hagen

Jubilee Manor (Landry Park)

by Bethany Hagen

292378,207 (3)None

This is weird to say, but I think this book should have been a regular fiction book rather than a YA- just because of the sheer SCOPE of the events of these two books. Think about it, you have:
-a serial murderer on the loose
-a faction of your people threatening to revolt
-an evil empire ready to strike
-AND your love life to deal with on top of all the family drama... seriously it would have been fun to delve more into some of these other areas and while I LOVE YA, it would be difficult to hold an audience with all that going on, but maybe I'm [and publishers are] not giving enough credit to the readership of YA. {after all there are epics in YA, right? and don't give me Harry Potter- he was written for 9 year old boys...;]} ( )
  lollyletsgo | Aug 10, 2017 |
I'm not sure why I even read this. I mean, I liked the first one okay, but I wasn't shivering with anticipation for the sequel. And there's a reason for that. The Landry Park novels are a pleasant diversion, but not much more. I think there may have been a message buried in here about energy sources or about the 1% versus the 99% or maybe both, but I was too distracted by descriptions of food and clothes and decor to notice. The characters were all sort of "meh" (was I suppose to care when Jane died? I think I was, but it was really just a plot point to me, rather than some sort of emotional whammy.). And why were the gentry so sanguine about the deaths? Everybody got all het up for a little while and wailed and rent garments, but two days later, they're all dry-eyed and bickering with each other and throwing another fabulous ball. In the end, this duology reminds me a lot of the last few seasons of Downton Abbey: Lovely to look at, but afterward you're all "Wait a minute. What the what? What is even?", only the books didn't have the Dowager to keep them snappy and snarky. ( )
  BillieBook | Mar 1, 2016 |

The thrilling conclusion to Landry Park is full of love, betrayal, and murder--perfect for fans of Divergent, The Selection, and Pride and Prejudice

In Landry Park, Madeline turned her back on her elite family, friends, and estate to help the Rootless. Now, in Jubilee Manor, she struggles to bring the Gentry and the Rootless together. But when Gentry heirs—Madeline’s old friends—are murdered, even she begins to think a Rootless is behind it, putting her at odds with the boy she loves and the very people she is trying to lead. If she can’t figure out who is killing her friends and bring them to justice, a violent war will erupt and even more will die—and Madeline’s name, her estate, and all the bonds she’s forged won’t make any difference.

This conclusion to Landry Park, which VOYA dubbed "Gone with the Wind meets The Hunger Games,” is a richly satisfying, addictive read.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:19:57 -0400)

"Madeline struggles to unite her own gentry class and the impoverished Rootless, but when the Rootless are suspected of murdering gentry heirs, Madeline finds herself at odds with the boy she loves and the very people she is trying to lead"--

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,619,161 books! | Top bar: Always visible