Finding Paris by Joy Preble

Finding Paris

by Joy Preble

Leo (Leonora) and Max follow cryptic clues left by Leo's sister, Paris, that have them driving around Las Vegas and eventually to Santa Monica in their attempt to find her.

I wanted to like this book but never felt invested in the characters particularly because (to me at least) their actions became more improbable as the story progressed. I admire the author's intent, and her first paragraph in the acknowledgements summed it up well, but the pacing faltered, the romance felt unnatural, and the ending was a little too neat. ( )
  lillibrary | Apr 23, 2016 |
When Leo's sister Paris goes missing, she and her new friend Max must follow Paris's secret notes and clues to find her. ( )
  ShellyPYA | Apr 12, 2016 |
I obtained this book through a giveaway ages ago, but only now decided to read it...oops.

...but I'm soo glad I did! This book was amazing, and I'm not too sure what else to say besides that. I was so engrossed in this book I was neglecting my schoolwork, so I had to torture myself by putting the book down and forcing myself to read another book, one that wasn't as interesting.

...and when I finally picked it up again, I finished it within minutes. It was so goooood! And, because I had to share the love, and make other people moan over the fact that I don't think there will be a sequel to this book, I gave it to my sister and told her enough to make her want to read it. She read it! And she loved it! She brought it to school, and her friend saw her reading it, and she read a few pages, and wanted to keep reading it! Woo!

Paris and Leo really reminded me of my sister and I. Where I would be Leo, and my sister would be Paris.

Now we all know that no book is perfect, so allow me to let my picky side out...

Reading the majority of the book, and thinking this book was too good to be true, was, actually, to good to be true. I was reaching the last 50 pages or so, when I started to get excited and confused at the same time. I knew something vital was happening, and all the characters were figuring things out, so I was trying my best to keep up with them. Eventually, they figured out what was happening, but I was left in the dust for awhile. I was so confused, when all the characters were celebrating their victory. at the end, Leo discovers that Paris never left Las Vegas, and goes back to confront her. I believe Leo thinks that Pairs has been sexually harassed by their step father, Tommy. But somehow, she realizes that Paris is not the one needing help, it's her. Which is why Paris thought it was a good idea to send Leo, and Max away. So, if I have my facts straight, I believe that Leo was the one being sexually harassed, not Paris.

If you ignore my little picky bits, which you probably should, this book is indeed a great book. AND YOU SHOULD READ IT.

elizabeth1929 | Oct 25, 2015 |
Review courtesy Dark Faerie Tales

Quick & Dirty: A long-winded mystery about a girl searching for her missing sister.

Opening Sentence: My sister leans over me as I am trying to sleep.

The Review:

This book was a passable read but I wasn’t too impressed with how long it took me to finish. When I start reading a book and then pass it up to read something more interesting, and then later keep reminding myself to finish reading it, then there is definitely something wrong. That is exactly what happened when I read Finding Paris.

The story is told from Leo’s perspective, Paris’s little sister who is following the clues to find her missing her sibling. There’s suspense and adventure, and some romance thrown in but the story dragged. It was only 272 pages but it felt like a hell of a lot more, and I’m sure it could’ve been told in half of that. I found myself skimming paragraphs several times, and not because I couldn’t wait to find out what happened next, but because my attention was wandering.

Sometimes I think people do things only because they’re afraid of not doing them.

Leo’s character has some spark but I didn’t form any connection with her or anyone else in the story. Perhaps it was the secrets that set them apart but all the characters seemed very distant. In fact, it had been a few days since I had picked up Finding Paris to read and I was three quarters of the way in when I had to jog my memory to remember who Max was. (Btw, Max is the guy that’s been helping Leo find her sister from the start so he should have been more memorable!)

“Are you saying Einstein was sorry about figuring out the theory of relativity? Because I don’t think that-“
“I’m saying that people do horrible things and sometimes there’s no making it better.” The pain in his voice swells around us.

Overall, an okay-ish read, nothing spectacular to report.

Notable Scene:

My sister has this grand sense of how the world works. Misguided, but grand.

Me? I am a math and science girl. Rules are everything in math and science. One of them is this: life is untidy and ugly. People mess up. Boys named Tobias break up with you because you won’t screw them. Or maybe you break up with them because you did. People hurt each other and make mistakes and shatter promises. Even people we love. Not to mention the ones we don’t.

FTC Advisory: Balzer+Bray/HarperTeen provided me with a copy of Finding Paris. No goody bags, sponsorships, “material connections,” or bribes were exchanged for my review. ( )
  DarkFaerieTales | Jul 9, 2015 |

"When Leo's sister Paris goes missing, she and her new friend Max must follow Paris's secret notes and clues to find her"--

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,445,447 books! | Top bar: Always visible