Magonia by Maria Dahvana Headley

DNF at 37%

I have to apologize to my dear and patient buddy reader Celine, but this book was making me so... so... I don't even know how to express my feelings, but going on was becoming a real pain in the neck.

- 1st problem: Aza
I usually love ironic/sarcastic characters, since I am myself a sarcastic person and therefore I enjoy reading about characters similar to me. But if there's one thing that I really find annoying in when a character tries to be cool by using sarcasm but doesn't even know what it means.
Every single time Aza said something (and well, the book is told mainly from her POV, how lucky) I wanted to choke her. Well, it wouldn't have taken me that much.
Really, that attitude of hers is absolutely unbearable.

- 2nd problem: the style
I understand that using a 1st person POV can give more stylistic freedom, I understand that trying to show characters' thoughts can be fascinating and I've already read books with "peculiar" writing style, but this was really too much for me. Absolutely too strange, with made up words, sentences put here and there with only mighty Holland from A gathering of shadows can understand... things get a little better after the 20% of the book, but I still can't get used to it.

- 3rd problem: the story
I thought I was ready for every kind of queerness, consindering that I've read my fair amount of fantasy and sci-fi, but swallowing a bird and having it singing in your own lung was really something I missed. And to be honest, I would have been happy also without this new knowledge.
I appreciated the general idea of Magonia and the possibility that some people would drown breathing our air but would live normally up in the sky, but this whole thing about human birds or people with blue skin doesn't really make sense to me. Or better, it would have made sense in a fantasy setting, not in the contemporary word.

So yes, this time too I came up with an unpopular opinion. I know that I can be rather picky, but I hope you can understand, if not support, my point of view :) ( )
  Shay17 | Mar 30, 2018 |
Wow. Not. What. I. Expected. At all. Here is what I think i learned.

Heaven is real, it is really called Magonia, and you only go there after death on earth if you were born there to begin with. Magonians are where the myths of gods come from. They live on a series of floating islands and ships.

In Magonia Magic is real. storms are made by whales, lightning by sharks, and wind by song. I didn't so much enjoy this book, as was enthralled by it. I couldn't put it down, even though it was hard to follow and barely made sense to me. I give it a 4/5 for brilliant imagery. However, since it was not my personal cup of tea, overall rating is a 2/5. ( )
  thebacklistbook | Mar 20, 2018 |

DNF'd at 20%, the start of Chapter 6

This was a very a very slow moving story. While I liked Aza's jaded personality, it became monotonous chapter after chapter while the plot essential stood still.

Full Review: http://wp.me/p7hLUw-1Ng
Actual Rating: DNF
  seriesousbooks | Feb 7, 2018 |
a great start to a new series and one that has a new angle. Also lacking a love triangle which was refreshing and shows a loving relationship where neither the girl nor the boy are dependent on one another to be saved.

Aza kicks butt and she's awesome. And I 100% need this to be made into a movie right now. Thank you very much.
  ylimejane | Feb 7, 2018 |
This book was pretty awesome :) Unlike any other fantasy book I've read this year. It was original, well written and had likeable characters. I found myself immersed in this book and read it whenever I could - but tried to savour it so much. The world-building was cool, although somewhat lacking since we only got a glimpse of what Magonia is really like - hopefully there is more in the sequel, if there is one! :D It didn't bother me too much though because we were as much in the dark as the main character, who by the way, was quite awesome. She was believable and not one of those characters who does everything perfectly, she is a human being - kind of. The secondary characters were interesting and not thoroughly explored but there is potential for more and they really added to the plot! I really enjoyed this book and I can't wait for the next instalment! hopefully there is one :) ( )
  jdifelice | Jan 20, 2018 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0062320521, Hardcover)

Aza Ray is drowning in thin air.

Since she was a baby, Aza has suffered from a mysterious lung disease that makes it ever harder for her to breathe, to speak—to live.

All the doctors can do is give her drugs and hope they keep her alive. So when Aza catches a glimpse of a ship in the sky, her family chalks it up to a cruel side effect of the medication. But Aza doesn't think this is a hallucination. She can hear someone on the ship calling her name.

Only her best friend, Jason, listens. Jason, who's always been there. Jason, for whom she might have more-than-friendly feelings. But before Aza can consider that thrilling idea, something goes terribly wrong. The sickness catches up with her.

Aza is lost to our world.

And found, by another.

Magonia.

Above the clouds, in a land of trading ships, Aza is not the weak and dying thing she was. In Magonia, she can breathe for the first time. Better, she has immense power. And she can use it to change the world.

As she navigates her new life, Aza discovers that war is coming. Magonia and Earth are on the cusp of a reckoning. In Aza's hands lies the whole of humanity—including the boy who loves her. Where do her loyalties lie?

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:10:05 -0400)

Aza Ray Boyle's life has been defined by a unique lung disease and her evolving friendship with Jason, but just before her sixteenth birthday, she's swept up into the sky-bound world of Magonia and discovers her true identity.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 125,499,968 books! | Top bar: Always visible