Queen Hortense by Louise Muhlbach

Queen Hortense

by Louise Muhlbach

182561,019 (3)3

Hortense was Napoleon Bonaparte's step-daughter and sister-in-law, being Empress Josephine's daughter and Napoleon's brother Louis's wife. She became Queen of Holland and, during the Bourbon restoration and Napoleon's first exile, when she returned to France, she was given the title of duchess.

Before starting this book I was expecting to be reading a work of historical fiction; however, it's a biography. This same thing occurred when I read Luise Mühlbach's "Empress Josephine", although this volume is a much more appealing to my tastes.

I knew hardly anything of Hortense before commencing this book. She comes across as a very genuine and caring woman who endured a lot of undeserved suffering in her life.

A very good read. ( )
  PhilSyphe | Sep 11, 2014 |
2173 Queen Hortense, by Louise Muhlbach (read 16 Dec 1988) Queen Hortense, mother of Napoleon III, died in 1837. She never loved her husband, Napoleon's brother, but she had three children by him. This book is very favorable to Hortense and has nothing bad to say of Napoleon, though when the author was writing of German royalty she spoke most derogatorily of Napoleon. I have three other Muhlbach books which I have decided not to read--I figure reading eleven of her books is enough. ( )
  Schmerguls | Jul 5, 2008 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 127,231,128 books! | Top bar: Always visible