Nimona by Noelle Stevenson

Nimona

by Noelle Stevenson, Noelle Stevenson (Illustrator)

Gunnerkrigg Court: Orientation by Thomas Siddell (FFortuna)
    FFortuna: Clever sci-fi/fantasy fusions with similar art styles, featuring unique young female protagonists.

OMG NIMONA IS EVERYTHING!! I loovveeddd it! This graphic novel was made from a web comic, and you can see how the story has flourished. The illustrations are fantastically beautiful and the banter between Characters shows great storytelling. Nimona is a shape shifter who takes the form of a girl and wants to be the sidekick of Sir Ballister Blackheart, who has been made into a villain by The Institution. Blackheart and Nimona battle the Institution and save the kingdom from evil doers. Along the way, Blackheart reveals his true heart ;) and learns about who the villains really are. Overall, a great story of friendship. ( )
  lispylibrarian | Aug 7, 2017 |
I approached this book with some reluctance because I am not a big fan of either fantasy or graphic novels. Or, at least I wasn't. Nimona was a good reminder not to pigeon-hole myself. From the first chapter I was giggling at the humor, gasping at the archetypes turned topsy-turvy, and loving the underlying conflict of science versus magic. When I finished, I was left wanting more. Noelle Stevenson's artistic style reminds me a bit of after-school cartoons in the '70s and '80, but they're ones that I would want to watch now because she has created a fantasy world that is modern and, oddly, believable. It's no wonder this book was a National Book Award finalist. I look forward to encouraging my students to read it next year and maybe even voting for it as a Young Reader's Choice Book.
  athertonl | Jul 15, 2017 |
In this book, a young girl who is a shape shifter wants to be a sidekick for a villain. She does not listen to him and causes a lot of trouble that he does not want. Eventually the villain becomes the hero when he saves the hero from Nimona the shape shifter. I would use this with my middle age readers to allow them to create their own graphic novel. ( )
  hannahcole | May 1, 2017 |
This story is about a young girl named Nimona who was a shape shifter wanting to be the sidekick of the villain Lord Ballister Blackheart ever since he became the infamous "bad person". This book was based in the medieval times in a small town where anything could happen! I would use this book with the older elementary kids who are learning the different literary elements and genres. The most notable character was the main character, Nimona, because the children can definitely relate to her. I would definitely utilize this in the classroom because it is a different way to look at a novel. ( )
  maria.baltazar | Jan 27, 2017 |
Read this at the urging of both my daughters (ages 13 and 10), who love it. Lots of fun: a visually inventive, funny, and at times dark take on classic fantasy tropes. The title character is a convincingly moody portrait of adolescence, but the novel ends without really explaining where she comes from or what her motivations are, so I'll need to read the sequel whenever it happens. ( )
  jalbacutler | Jan 10, 2017 |

Noelle Stevensonprimary authorall editionscalculated
Stevenson, NoelleIllustratormain authorall editionsconfirmed
Fitzsimmons, ErinCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To all the monster girls
What! Who are you? How did you get in here?

The graphic novel debut from rising star Noelle Stevenson, based on her beloved and critically acclaimed web comic, which Slate awarded its Cartoonist Studio Prize, calling it "a deadpan epic."

Nemeses! Dragons! Science! Symbolism! All these and more await in this brilliantly subversive, sharply irreverent epic from Noelle Stevenson. Featuring an exclusive epilogue not seen in the web comic, along with bonus conceptual sketches and revised pages throughout, this gorgeous full-color graphic novel is perfect for the legions of fans of the web comic and is sure to win Noelle many new ones.

Nimona is an impulsive young shapeshifter with a knack for villainy. Lord Ballister Blackheart is a villain with a vendetta. As sidekick and supervillain, Nimona and Lord Blackheart are about to wreak some serious havoc. Their mission: prove to the kingdom that Sir Ambrosius Goldenloin and his buddies at the Institution of Law Enforcement and Heroics aren't the heroes everyone thinks they are.

But as small acts of mischief escalate into a vicious battle, Lord Blackheart realizes that Nimona's powers are as murky and mysterious as her past. And her unpredictable wild side might be more dangerous than he is willing to admit.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:21:44 -0400)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,110,663 books! | Top bar: Always visible