This Night So Dark (The Starbound Trilogy)…

This Night So Dark (The Starbound Trilogy)

by Amie Kaufman, Meagan Spooner

Good short story. Fills in some blanks (and possibly help sets up the rest of the series??) ( )
  Kristymk18 | Nov 12, 2015 |
Since this story is all about Tarver and a discovery he made before These Broken Stars, I didn't feel like it really connected to book two much. It was fun to follow his adventure and be reminded of how cute him and Lilac are though and we find out a bit more about the tech involved with the Icarus. It's much shorter than you think though since there are sections of book one and two at the end, so the novella is only about half the length. ( )
  anyaejo | Aug 12, 2015 |
This Night So Dark was definitely what I needed to revisit the Starbound universe. In this novella, we get to see something that happened to Tarver 6 months ago told in the form of a conversation between him and Lilac.

Wonderful prose and fluid writing is not lost here, as the authors seamlessly interweave Tarver’s narration with what’s happening in the ‘present’ with him and Lilac.

It was very fun to see little snippets of his and Lilac’s new life, as I loved their relationship so much in These Broken Stars, and we got to see even more of Tarver’s personality here. We finally understand why he’s a soldier and why he’s such a hero. We understand more about Tarver’s motivations in These Broken Stars and we come to love him even more.

The best part of this novella? There’s a preview of This Shattered World. We get to read the first chapters of the book and that’s honestly all I needed to read to be hooked! Now I’m itching to read This Shattered World!

Wonderfully written and a great companion to the series, this is a book that you shouldn’t miss out on! Plus the best part? It’s free on Amazon! ( )
  mariannelee_0902 | Jun 19, 2015 |
Have you already read These Broken Stars (you can see my review here)? If the answer is no, go pick that up first and read it asap. If you have read it and enjoyed it, then you’ll probably enjoy This Night So Dark. It was an extra little something to give you more insight into Tarver’s past. I don’t think it’s necessary to read this before This Shattered World comes out, but why wouldn’t you? It’s free.

So, as I said This Night So Dark was a free short story that focused on Tarver. You mostly get a glimpse into one of the reasons Tarver is touted a “hero” in These Broken Stars, but you also get some of the back and forth between Lilac and Tarver as he’s telling her the story. I still love them. I’d read another book (full novel) about them if the authors decided to write one.

I will admit that I’m not really sure how This Night So Dark ties These Broken Stars and This Shattered World together, but I’m excited to find out. I’m putting a guess out there and saying that at least one character from Tarver’s story will show up in This Shattered World. I do have to mention that at the end of This Night So Dark are the first few chapters of This Shattered World.

Overall impressions? It was well written and I thoroughly enjoyed it. I would highly recommend it, especially if you’ve already read These Broken Stars. It’s short and free; you really don’t have a reason for not reading it. Plus, it may get you a little more pumped for the release of This Shattered World on December 23!

For more reviews, check out http://reviewsinapinch.com/ today! ( )
  ReviewsInAPinch | Dec 5, 2014 |

Kaufman, Amieprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Spooner, Meaganmain authorall editionsconfirmed

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,046,845 books! | Top bar: Always visible