Snow-White and the Seven Dwarfs {Farrar,…

Snow-White and the Seven Dwarfs {Farrar, Straus & Giroux}

by Jacob Grimm, Wilhelm Grimm (Author)

Other authors: Nancy Eckholm Burkert (Illustrator), Randall Jarrell (Translator)

4161525,516 (4)2

I would use this book in a third or fourth grade due to the fact of it being a little harder of a read than the cartoon version of the book. But i feel like at that age they would be able to read this independently with little help.
  tylerschmitt | Apr 5, 2017 |
  Cheryl_in_CC_NV | Jun 6, 2016 |
I would use this book in a 2nd/3rd grade setting. I would use it with this age range because of the content of the book being targeted towards the different types of people and the sensitivity of fantasy books. I would use this book for many different lessons which could include teaching students the importance of knowing and understanding the differences amongst people, but the main lesson that I would use with this book would be lessons on comparing and contrasting the different dwarfs with character webs. I would use the webs to describe each dwarf and from there have the students relate to one of the dwarfs. Once the students decided on a dwarf that they had a connection with, I would have a compare and contrast list on the board for the students to discuss the characteristics of each dwarf and compare/contrast them amongst the others. ( )
  Amanda11 | Mar 31, 2016 |
This book would be great to teach students about different types of characteristics. A lot of characters in children's books are very two-dimensional, with not much difference in personality. I think that this book is a great one to use to teach differences in people. I would have the students write down each character and the characteristics of them. For that entire week, I would also have the students come into class and immediately tell me which of the seven dwarfs that they are feeling like that day. I think that is a great way to teach children to express their feelings, and it gives the teacher the opportunity to get to know the student better. It is readable at a 3rd grade level, but all grade levels would enjoy it.
  AnnaTaylor | Mar 28, 2016 |
This book would be a great book to talk about good versus evil. It could also be used to talk about mythology.
  whitneyosborne | Mar 26, 2016 |

Grimm, JacobAuthorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Grimm, WilhelmAuthormain authorall editionsconfirmed
Burkert, Nancy EckholmIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Jarrell, RandallTranslatorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0374468680, Paperback)

"Mirror, mirror on the wall, Who is the fairest of us all?" repeatedly asks the Queen, Snow White's stepmother. She always gets the answer she wants, until Snow White turns seven, and the mirror must truthfully answer, "Snow White." At the news, the Queen turns yellow and green with envy and commands the huntsman to kill Snow White and bring her "lung and liver as a token." Thus begins another enchanting fairy tale from the Brothers Grimm!

Kirkus Reviews called this collaboration between Randall and Nancy Eckholm Burkert "a sort of legend even before its time of publication." Jarrell also wrote The Bat-Poet and The Animal Family, a Newbery Honor Book. Jarrell retained the Grimm (and grim) ending to the tale, as the stepmother is forced to dance to her death. Burkert's illustrations are magical, light-filled creations that more than earn the book its Caldecott Honor Book status. This delightful book's extra-large format showcases the fabulously detailed illustrations, alternating two facing pages of art with two pages of straight text. This is an unforgettable interpretation of a well-loved story. (Ages 6 to 9)

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:19:32 -0400)

Retells the tale of the beautiful princess whose lips were red as blood, skin was white as snow, and hair was black as ebony.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,978,857 books! | Top bar: Always visible