The Bazaar of Bad Dreams: Stories by Stephen…

The Bazaar of Bad Dreams: Stories (edition 2016)

by Stephen King (Author)

Member:rastaphrog
Title:The Bazaar of Bad Dreams: Stories
Authors:Stephen King (Author)
Info:Pocket Books (2016), Edition: Reprint, 704 pages
Collections:Fiction, Humor, Animals, Comics

The Bazaar Of Bad Dreams by Stephen King

English (62)  Piratical (1)  French (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (65)
For me, a Stephen King Constant Reader, to rate one of his books four stars means it wasn't as good as it could have been.

This collection of short stories felt like a gathering of all the random bits and pieces Stephen King has written over the years and discarded, many of which weren't full stories, just pieces, some which left wondering the point of them. Was it a last ditched attempt to publish everything he'd ever written to make sure there was nothing left 'unpublished' in the event of his death? (which he's managed to avoid so far by a hair's breadth, thankfully)

There were also a few stories that had previously been released electronically and not in print, like Mile 81 and the wonderful UR which had been reworked. Some of the stories I was sure I had read before in his books, either in part or in whole - like The Little Green God of Agony. But there was still plenty to enjoy, my favourites being Under the Weather and Obits. Stephen King does surreal very well.

What I also enjoyed about this book were the forewords to each tale, where Stephen King endeavours to explain a little about each piece: where it came from, when it was written, what might have inspired it. It gave this book a more personal touch.

And it ended on a superb mini apocalyptic tale, Summer Thunder, which seemed very timely and poignant bearing in mind current world politics.

purplequeennl | Jul 11, 2018 |
The Bazaar of Bad Dreams is a collection of short stories Stephen King has written over the years. I liked how he wrote a short introduction for each story explaining where he got the idea from and just kind of explains what being a writer means. The stories aren't necessarily scary, but do have some disturbing aspects in them. ( )
  wellreadcatlady | Jul 9, 2018 |
This is a marvellous collection of stories, that really showcase the author's storytelling ability. The variety is amazing; in length, tone and subject. I also enjoyed reading the introductory pieces he wrote for each story.
The only story that didn't hold me completely revolved around baseball. I have no knowledge of the game at all, as I'm not American, so the terminology etc was lost on me, but the story as a whole still kept me interested. ( )
  AngelaJMaher | Jun 18, 2018 |
I loved it. ( )
  cassie.peters1 | May 1, 2018 |
I loved it. ( )
  cassie.peters1 | May 1, 2018 |
I shoot from the hip and keep a stiff uper lip.

(Je dégaine mon flingue et je garde mon flegme.)

AC/DC
I've made some things for you, Constant eader; you se them laid out before you in the moonlight. But before you look at the little handcrafted treasures I have for sale, let's talk about them for a bit, shall we? It won't take long. Here, sit down beside me. And do come a little closer. I don't bite.

Except...we've known each other for a very long time, and I suspect you know that's not entirely true.

Is it?

"From a master of the short story, a collection that includes stories never before in print, never published in America, never collected and brand new- with the magnificent bones of interstitial autobiographical comments on when, why and how Stephen King came to write each story"--… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,132,526 books! | Top bar: Always visible