Gods of Mars (Warhammer 40,000-Adeptus…

Gods of Mars (Warhammer 40,000-Adeptus Mechanicus)

by Graham McNeill

This is the third volume of Graham McNeill’s Adeptus Mechanicus trilogy and also one of the more complicated and sort of all encompassing WH40K novels I've read. Of note is how most of the plot takes place out of the reach of the Emperor and his perpetual Astronomicon beacon, thus making it kind of a rogue novel in this WH40K galaxy. Many WH40K characters are involved in the battle to stop the long lost Telok from executing his plan of destroying Mars and ultimately the Emperor.

The highlight of the book to me was the various protagonist groups battling the evil spawned Tindalosi. Reading this you could sense that many of the good characters in the book were about to perish. This was my first deeper exposure to the Eldar also, and I found them very mysterious and interesting characters. I also got my first real exposure to the Cadian shock troops, very interesting as well.

I am not rating this one as high as past WH40K efforts, due to how (unnecessarily) complex the novel was. It just didn't flow as well, but it was very enjoyable to read and dissect. ( )
1 vote utbw42 | Aug 14, 2016 |
Gods of Mars is the concluding volume of McNeill's "Adeptus Mechanicus" trilogy, resolving the problematic upshot of a galactic-peripheral quest for the "lost magos" Telok, whose apotheosis has made him a threat to the Terran Empire, the Eldar, and the universe itself. There are several plot turns, the introduction of a new villain or two, and openings for a sequel.

"Hope" is a keynote of the mostly-tragic ending of this story, being the name of the Ark Mechanicus Speranza (the ancient flagship/forgeworld traveling on the quest), as well as a final realization of the Eldar farseer Bielanna. The book is very combat-heavy, which is par for the course in the Warhammer 40,000 setting, but it exceeds either of its predecessor volumes in this regard. I guess that's how you get a climax here.

The trilogy as a whole was all right. I never resented reading it at all, but I find myself a bit relieved to get to the end and turn my attention to other things. I believe I've had my fill of WH40K novels for a while.
2 vote paradoxosalpha | Nov 4, 2015 |

On the far fringes of the galaxy, Adeptus Mechanicus Magos Kotov's great journey is over. He has achieved his goal, to find the resting place of the long-lost Magos Telok. But Telok isn't dead. As the brave explorers of Kotov's fleet marvel at the wonders Telok has to show them, darker plans unfold. As reality itself is threatened by impossible technologies, it may fall to a small group of Imperial soldiers and their eldar allies to thwart an insane plan and save not just the fleet, but the entire universe, from destruction.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,367,030 books! | Top bar: Always visible