Midnight Ride by Cat Johnson

Midnight Ride

by Cat Johnson

Series: Midnight Cowboys (April 2015 - Book 1)

Just finished Midnight Ride and boy do I feel like gushing! Do you know how rare it is to find a romance where the woman is older than the man, especially one this well done? Janie is older than Tyler in this book and not by a year or two either, she's in her mid-thirties and he's twenty-four. You can see this age difference all the time in romance but usually it's the woman who's younger. I found it so refreshing to read about, and hotter than hell.

The characters were real, flaws and all, and so likable that they just pull your into their stories, even the secondary characters. Tyler might be young and wild, but from the minute he meets Janie he wants more. He's just been playing around until the right girl comes around. He's hard working, and so charming and goodhearted it was impossible for me not to fall for him. Heck, you'd be hard pressed to find a guy as good as him at any age! They just don't make them like they do in books, *sighs*.

Janie married young, to an older man, and found herself a widow in her mid-thirties. She's holding it together well, but she's under an enormous amount of stress trying to run her farm and make it on her own. She's strong but you can tell from the beginning that everything is starting to weigh on her. From the moment Tyler steps into her life, things start looking up

I don't like to give away too much of the story, but the age difference between the two is the major conflict, at least at first glance. The author did a great job because I didn't want to put it down. There were ups and downs, and lots of sexy scenes that kept me feeling all hot and bothered.

I loved everything about this book, and I think I might have found a new author to love. My Friday Freebie Post last week was even focused on cowboys. I've got it bad. I'll be buying some of her other books this week and I'll be sure to let you know what I think!

Review originally posted on Book Liaison
  Chrystina.Williams | Dec 4, 2015 |
An awesome read with a couple of hot sexy cowboys to keep us entertained!! Tyler Jenkins is young, wild, and free and no one woman is going to tie him down. Until he meets his boss's next door neighbor. Widowed ranch owner Janie Smithwick is doing the best she can holding on to the ranch that has been in her family for ages. Unfortunately her current financial situation doesn't leave enough money to hire any help and getting everything done is all on her. When she meets Tyler she knows he's trouble but it seems like he's always there. Resisting Tyler's charm isn't easy but she has to. Doesn't she??

Really enjoyed reading this one and I would definitely recommend it to everyone. ( )
  Bette_Hansen | Nov 3, 2015 |

Janie Smithwick has her hands full with her ranch since the death of her husband, and things are getting more difficult by the day. Money is tight, she's let the help go, and she can barely keep up with what's left. The last thing she needs is some all too young, all too cocky cowboy distracting her from her responsibilities. But there's no denying the attraction, and Janie could use some fun in her life, if for no other reason than to remind her she's still alive. And Tyler definitely makes her feel alive…

The Verdict: I was a little nervous about this one, since so often the age difference thing just doesn't come across the pages as well as it's intended, but we all know by now that I've got a thing for cowboy romances, so I had to give it a shot. And oh, what great shot it was!

Jamie's been doing her damnedest to keep her head above water since her husband died, but running the ranch on her own is proving to be too much. She's not dead broke just yet, but if things continue the way they have been, she will be soon enough. And just maintaining what's already there is proving to be too much of a challenge. A downed fence has her borrowing help from the rancher next door, and that help turns out to be irresistible.

Tyler's initial meeting with Janie is by far one of the funniest I've read, and I was hard pressed to put the book down, even for a few seconds, after the first few pages. He's fun-loving, smooth-talking, and not looking to settle down anytime soon. Janie, on the other hand, is practical. She leads a rather uneventful and somewhat empty life since her husband passed away, and it's easy to see that she's just getting by, going through the motions day by day. Tyler brings some excitement and change to her life — even just his being around and helping out is a welcome development — but she knows better than to let herself get caught up in his smile.

Their age difference is enough to make anyone think twice, but it's not so much that they don't fit together. In some ways, Tyler represents the things that Janie missed, having gotten married young to an older, stable, and responsible man. There's a strong chemistry between them, something she didn't really experience but had never really missed with her late husband, but it's got her all kinds of hot and bothered now. But she's too reasonable to throw herself into a casual affair with a young cowboy who could have pretty much any girl he wanted — even though that's exactly what she ends up doing.

Tyler is just a good guy all around. Sure, he has a knack for finding mischief, but his heart's always in the right place, and when he realizes how skittish Janie is at the idea of even going on a date with him, he patiently stands his ground and waits for her to come around. The way he made his intentions know but put the choice in her hands was incredibly sweet and practically had me yelling at her to hurry up and get past her insecurities.
It's those insecurities that throw a wrench in things later on, leading to the best non-date ever and finally getting her head on straight. However, Janie's also not one of those women who denies a beauty everyone else thinks is obvious or spends time obsessing over her flaws. She's just pretty practical when it comes to the logistics of a relationship with a much younger, incredibly attractive man, and she's far too level-headed to let herself dive in without any thought of the consequences.

I have to admit that while I hoped I would enjoy Midnight Ride, I was surprised by just how much. The characters felt so genuine, their interactions always perfectly real, their challenges the kind that anyone in their situations would face. Tyler wasn't portrayed as overly immature, though his youth made itself known on a few occasions, and Janie was never painted as the old-before-her-time widow who couldn't just let herself live. They were such a cute couple, and seeing Tyler draw her out and make her feel something more than she ever expected to was like watching a perfectly directed movie in my mind. The general ranch work, rodeo competition, and depiction of country life took me back home in a way that most country-themed stories fail to do. Midnight Ride is a fun, sweet, sexy love story, and it's got everything I look for in romance out on the range. Count me in for the whole series and then some.

***FicCentral received this book from Kensington Books (via NetGalley) for free in exchange for an honest review. ( )
  ysar | Jul 8, 2015 |

Cat Johnsonprimary authorall editionscalculated
Estrella, RebeccaReadersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
There was something about a really good, down-home barbeque joint that made Tyler Jenkins happy, deep down all the way through his stomach and to his very soul.

As a rule, Janie should be dating a man her own age, like her handsome neighbor Rohn and not the twenty-four-year old ranch hand he employs. But once Tyler gets Janie alone, the widow realizes that some rules, like broncos, are meant to be broken.

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 127,320,959 books! | Top bar: Always visible