Expecting with Hope: Claiming Joy When…

Expecting with Hope: Claiming Joy When Expecting a Baby After Loss

by Teske Drake

113,689,591 (5)None
Recently added bystaciewyatt

No tags.

I read this book in exchange for honest review from Kregel Blog Tours/Kregel Publications.

The back of the book, first line, It takes a lot of courage to pick up this book. It takes a lot of courage to read and review this book. The book teaches about finding joy in pregnancy after a miscarry, a stillbirth, or infant loss.

I am not sure how I found my joy when I was pregnant with Kalen. I knew I did not want another miscarry. I did not have the mental capacity to handle another loss, which is why I am so protective of him now. Kalen has Autism, Sensory Processing Disorder, Global Development Delays, and Static Encephalopathy. Static Encephalopathy simply means breath holding spells.

When Kalen gets agitated, he goes into silent cries and then passes out. The disorder affects his brain and heart. He visits his neurologist and cardiologist every 6 months. If the frequency of attacks increase, Kalen will get another 24 hour holter. If they continue, he will have surgery to install a temporary, 3-year heart monitor, which has high risks.

I face fear and worry when it comes to him on a regular basis. He had a spell yesterday. His brother took something away from him. He came back to in seconds, but what if it was never.

The book discusses how God has a purpose in everything. I learned from the two miscarries, not to have sex with just any man. Just any man is not going to be there for you when you are going through something. I learned from miscarry #2 to have sex less. #2 helped start my journey into celibacy. I know that if my baby girl had lived, Kalen would not be born. I don't see myself with a houseful of kids, definitely not 4.

I also appreciate both of my kids more. Getting to do the things, I missed with Brad because I worked, I went to school, or when his father had primary custody for 5 years. I also had so much peace during pregnancy with Kalen because I did not bother with anyone. I was not having sex. I stayed at home.

One thing, which stood out the most was on page 27: You don't have to know what the future looks like because you can trust in the one who's ordained it. This requires faith and obedience to God.

You can read the full review at http://sdwperfectchaos.blogspot.com/2014/11/expecting-with-hope-book-review-kreg... ( )
  staciewyatt | Nov 7, 2014 |

A compassionate, thoughtful reminder of God's promises for joy and peace after loss

Centered on biblical promises like the one above, and focused specifically around promises of "peace," this book is a practical guide written by a mother who’s been there. Drake acknowledges the torrent of anxiety that replaces the natural joy pregnancy can bring. She avoids painful clichés and works instead to unearth deeper truths. Her tone is gentle, caring, and compassionate, drawing women back to a place of peace and joy, both with God and with their current pregnancy.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:15:36 -0400)

"You will keep in perfect peace those whose minds are steadfast, because they trust in you." -Isaiah 26:3 When 31 percent of pregnancies end in loss, it is no surprise that miscarriage, stillbirth, or infant loss brings great grief, nor is there a shortage of books addressing how to move through and past that sorrow. What is seldom considered, however, is that 85 percent of those women go on to become pregnant again-yet the complexity of emotions triggered by a pregnancy following loss is rarely addressed. With this book, Teske Drake challenges women to claim joy in the midst of grief when newly expecting, and shows them just how to accomplish that. Centered on biblical promises like the one above, and focused specifically around promises of "peace," this book is a practical guide written by a mother who's been there. Drake acknowledges the torrent of anxiety that replaces the natural joy pregnancy can bring. She avoids painful cliches and works instead to unearth deeper truths. Her tone is gentle, caring, and compassionate, drawing women back to a place of peace and joy, both with God and with their current pregnancy. This ten-chapter book includes accompanying devotions, "Pregnancy Prayers," personal anecdotes from other mothers who've experienced similar loss, and "Pen the Promise" journaling prompts to encourage personal application of the promises Drake reveals. She constantly drives the reader back to Scripture, sharing not only promises given, but promises fulfilled. Women are offered practical information, as well as encouragement and inspiration. With Expecting with Hope, Drake provides a deeply needed space for expectant mothers to rediscover the joy and peace of pregnancy.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 120,862,987 books! | Top bar: Always visible