Wish Girl by Nikki Loftin

Wish Girl

by Nikki Loftin

Peter is a quiet boy in a loud family. He believes that no one will listen to him and no one understands him. Who he is, is not enough for his parents or his older sister. They all want him to be something else.
After moving to a remote area in the Texas wilderness, Peter finds a magical valley, where he feels peaceful and at home. At first, he is upset that there is a girl, about his age, who is also coming to the valley. She spoils it by her presence. But he learns that she is dying of cancer, and soon they become the closest of friends.
I have probably rated this book higher than most, partly because I can relate to Peter extremely well, having often felt as he does. And partly because I always longed for a friend like Annie.
I hold back slightly from a five star only because the two villains, the delinquent children Doug and Jake, are also a bit too real to me. They are just a bit too realistic and too horrible in their badness.
But, I loved the book. It struck a personal tone with me. ( )
  fingerpost | May 3, 2017 |
A dying girl and misunderstood boy learn about openness and the importance of loving people for who they are. There are a lot of artistic motifs in this book. The mother is completely grotesque and self-centered. When asked about cancer, she says "That is a mother's worst nightmare" completely refocusing the conversation on her and ignoring her emotionally needy son. This is a great book for male readers who actually have feelings- it isn't overly sappy. Cancer should make you feel something, right? ( )
  CALammert | Mar 19, 2016 |
This book has some wonderful moments. I really liked both of the main characters - they are what is best in this story. They have a lot of conflict, pain and heartbreak to deal with. I enjoyed the time they spent together and the relationship they had. However, I didn't care for any of the secondary characters. I wanted to punch Peter's family and arrest the bullies, so I felt like the ending was either very unrealistic, or a lot was left unresolved. What happens when school starts in the fall? Won't Peter and the bullies be going to the same school?
Anyway, I do think this one would make a good read-aloud or book group book because it deals with some issues that would lead to important discussions. Terminal illness, bullying, dysfunctional families, running away, suicidal thoughts...
Bottom line - I liked it but I didn't love it. ( )
  Bduke | Sep 30, 2015 |

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,989,062 books! | Top bar: Always visible