The Dark Era by James Eddy

by James Eddy

312,001,085 (4)None
Recently added byMHanover10, Ermina, naturalbri

The Story

Life sometimes has a funny way of getting us to the places we need to be. Sometimes it's by chance and other times it is a small series of events, that we bring on ourselves. Either way, we end up right where we need to be.

Stan is an elderly Polish man, strong, hardy and quiet about his past. He is proud and often this has rubbed his son the wrong way, creating an ever-growing rift between them. David, his son, finds himself in a similar situation with his son. After the divorce, his son has been eager to let him know that he doesn't have the time of day for him.

After Stan falls into a coma, he is thrust into a world unknown to him. He in young and find himself in a position to save the people around him. Though his memory is gone, he finds small pieces sliding back into place, as he ventures forth in his quest to defeat the evil threatening his new world.

However, he keeps hearing voices. Voices that no one else seems to hear. First he finds them hard to understand. Soon, they start to become more clear, and they seem rather familiar.

We're here for you Stan.....

As two worlds and many lives start collide in space and time, will Stan be able to be the saviour of more than one world?

What I Thought

This book is very well written. It has a different style and plot than any book I've read in a while. The collision of worlds and viewpoints all to one epic ending, lives twisting together and each decision ultimately leading the characters to a pint where their worlds come together, reminds me of the film Crash. We don't see how much each decision is affecting the ending, how close each character's life is to another's, until we reach the conclusion. Though, there are hints and snippets that you can piece together, leaving you guessing at how each person will play into this chess match of worlds.

I like the pace of the story. We are not kept in one world or one point of view for too long. We are given long enough at each point to get the details and point of view of the person. We learn what their next move is and then we move on. It keeps the story fast-paced, fun and flowing to its ultimate ending. You are left feeling stagnant with unneeded details or slow-moving events.

I also like that, though it is fast-paced, we are still given the time to look into the hearts and minds of the characters. We watch, as just like Crash, the mindset and emotions of the characters are thrown for a loop and they are left learning and questioning everything they thought they knew and believed.

As the stories start to merge, we are given snippets of information, enough to make it feel like a puzzle, but still leave you guessing. I really like this. A lot of books, which have several viewpoints, forget that the details are needed to connect the stories. Some skip this step and just thrown each perspective at us, leaving us to question why they are actually combining and what they have to do with each other. Not Eddy. He laid out the intricate details, the perspective breadcrumbs, making you wonder when the perspectives would meet because they just had to.

OVERALL: I enjoyed this read. It is very different from any of the books I have read in a while. It kept me guessing, wondering and engaged from cover to cover. It had a plot that fed my fantasy craving and still had time to pull on my heartstrings. I would highly recommend this book to anyone who wants a new type of fantasy read. ( )
  naturalbri | Nov 8, 2014 |

When Stanislaw Gombrowicz falls into a coma he finds himself in the strange land of Pileck with a new name and no memory. In this new world, a war is raging between the people of Pileck and their monstrous enemies the Sinistrians and the Curzonians. Danger seems to be everywhere but as Stanislaw’s strength grows so does the threat when it becomes clear that it he is actually the single greatest weapon of the war; a weapon that the enemies of Pileck will do anything to possess in order to destroy everything he has and will ever love. As this is happening, in the real world his grandson, Jonathon, is attempting to find a way to write a book about Stanislaw’s experiences during World War II. The obstacles he faces are not insignificant. The facts he has are fragmented, distorted by the old man’s Alzheimer’s ravaged memories. Perhaps more significantly though, Jonathon is consistently derailed by an ability to find excuses not to complete the task he has set himself; by the distractions of his life and the twin intoxications of drink and women. Separate and almost unknowingly the two of them must find a way to reach the end. To survive long enough to keep the past and present alive even as life itself is slipping away. The Dark Era is an exhilarating story that combines elements of history, memory, fantasy, and reality to uncover the lengths some people will go to both preserve and let go of the past in order to create a better future.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:09:10 -0400)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,747,297 books! | Top bar: Always visible