An Amish Buggy Ride by Sarah Price

An Amish Buggy Ride

by Sarah Price

Well, this is certainly not the typical Amish romance – fraught with tragedy and tension, I'm not even sure it can be classified as the typical Amish story...

In my own personal experience, the plain folks don't tend to fee quite so sorry for themselves when confronted by such a difficult situation – but they are people just like us and equally at risk for the anger and emotions that come with this particular hardship.

It makes me wonder though... Sarah Price speaks out quite vocally about staying upbeat and powering through her own struggles with illness. Is it possible she is drawing from an experience that led to her current attitude or is she simply that fantastic an author that she can fake the depth of bitterness that drives David after his accident?

It's quite a puzzle – one you will most likely ponder as well, when you read the heart-wrenching scenes that take place before and after one snowy night that leaves mourning and devastation in it's wake.

I received this book free in exchange for an honest review. ( )
  JCMorrows | Aug 25, 2015 |
The story started off very slow. It took a long time for me to like the main character, Kate Zook. I felt she was very self centered by blaming herself for David's accident. She was setting herself up in her eyes, to live a sorriful life, punishing herself for her brother's mistake. The story is great, as long as Kate is with Samuel. Otherwise it was a bit boring. ( )
  wearylibrarian | Feb 3, 2015 |
As the oldest daughter in a large Amish family, Kate Zook has always been quiet, reliable, and obedient. But one snowy night she cannot keep quiet about her brother David's behavior, little knowing that her actions would have long-term repercussions. Now David torments her whenever he can and the rest of the family is walking on eggshells. Because she blames herself for what happened Kate is prepared for a life of misery but Samuel Esh is increasingly becoming an important part of her life. Kate doesn't dare hope that Samuel is falling in love with her – she is convinced that if he knew what she had done he would turne his back on her.

“An Amish Buggy Ride” is a beautifully written multilayered Amish romance. When I first started reading this, because of the theme and overwhelming sadness at the beginning of the book, I wasn't sure if I would like this book but I was soon hooked on Kate’s story. I don't want to give away too much of what happens in the book but I will say that her story is a poignant one. If it first you don't have much patience for her as a character – she at times seems almost like a martyr - keep reading as author Sarah Price does an excellent job of slowly peeling off the layers of her story until you know exactly why Kate and her family members act the way they do. As for Samuel - if it were possible to be in love with a fictional character I would be in love with him! Again, without giving away too much, he brings lightness into a book that could have been overwhelmingly sad. In the end, while there is some sadness there is also much joy which makes this book such a great read.

“An Amish Buggy Ride” is a well-done Amish romance. ( )
  drebbles | Dec 18, 2014 |

Wracked by guilt over her role in the tragedy that left her brother David injured, Kate devotes herself to his care, going so far as to take on his chores in the fields. Even so, her brother's resentment toward her grows, and David torments Kate, making her increasingly isolated life even more difficult.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,356,080 books! | Top bar: Always visible