Bad Wizard by James Maxey

Bad Wizard (2014)

by James Maxey

2016 (1) book club (1) fantasy (2) NC authors (1) ours (1) Oz (3) read (1) read 9/8/2015- (1) wizards (1)

In this sequel to The Wonderful Wizard of Oz, Dorothy has grown up and become an investigative journalist. She still has the silver slippers, which help her go places she otherwise wouldn't be able to get into. She's investigating War Secretary Diggs, the former Wizard of Oz, who has constructed a huge factory in Kansas to build dirigibles. His goal: to get back to Oz, and Dorothy must stop him.

I enjoyed this lightweight adventure (albeit with a high body count). Maxey clearly knows much more about Oz than I do, and he's evolved the main characters and brought in one new and interesting one: Esau, billed as the "Flying Monkey Man," a former carnival sideshow freak and engineering genius who constructs gliders and jumps from hot air balloons as his act. Diggs' theory on what Oz actually is was really intriguing, and I wish that aspect had been followed up more. Clearly, this loving tribute to the Oz books is left open for a sequel.

Not my usual fare, but I read this because Maxey is from my hometown, and this was our book club pick (we frequently try to read local authors). ( )
  sturlington | Feb 27, 2016 |

Is a (non-series) sequel to

"I think you are a very bad man," said Dorothy.

"Oh, no, my dear; I'm really a very good man; but I'm a very bad Wizard, I must admit."

--L. Frank Baum, The Wonderful Wizard of Oz
And the foundations of the wall of the city were garnished with all manner of precious stones. The first foundation was jasper; the second, sapphire; the third, a chalcedony; the fourth, an emerald; the fifth, sardonyx; the sixth, sardius; the seventh, chrysolyte; the eighth, beryl; the ninth, a topaz; the tenth, a chrysoprasus; the eleventh, a jacinth; the twelfth, an amethyst.

And the twelve gates were twelve pearls: every several gate was of one pearl: and the street of the city was pure gold, as it were transparent glass.
--Revelation 21: 19-21
For Ruth Maxey, my mother, who made sure we'd watch whenever The Wizard of Oz came on. -- James Maxey
Dorothy Gale stared at the casket as Reverend Whitaker opened his Bible.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 127,174,659 books! | Top bar: Always visible