Some Like It Witchy by Heather Blake

Some Like It Witchy (2015)

by Heather Blake

Darcy & Cherise are supposed to meet up w/ a relator to look at a neighboring house... The house is quite rundown and has a "history".

The previous owner was the reclusive wife of a jewel thief.... Who had stolen the "Circe" diamonds, said to have been in the wand of Circe, made from the tears of the Gods & holding unlimited power. Said diamonds were to have been hidden somewhere in the house and treasure hunters were forever searching for the diamonds.

When the relator is found murdered in the upstairs closet w/ it planked floor pulled up, suspicion falls on her widower husband happy she is dead, found to be having an affair, making real estate deals behind her back.

A skeleton is found walled up in the bathroom, which turns out to be that of a woman who disappeared right after the diamond heist.

Meanwhile Darcy's Aunt Ve is running for council against a non-crafter who wants to sell off the "Enchanted Woods" for a new housing development.

This was a fast and entertaining read..... ( )
  Auntie-Nanuuq | Feb 12, 2017 |
Another great read in the series that has the Disney-cute premise and the grown-up writing.

This one was lighter, less melancholy than her last book, but it still touched here and there on things that gave the reader a bit more to think about. I didn't guess the villain early, and in fact never even considered the person. I love Darcy and Nick together and I like the way the secrets of the community are slowly unfolding.

This remains a favorite series for me - it's fun and light without being vapid. ( )
  murderbydeath | Nov 15, 2016 |
These are happy books. I know that sounds odd since there is usually at least one murder in each of them but it's the truth. Each and every one of the characters you come into contact with adds to the atmosphere of the story. They are almost all eccentric and full of personality and make me smile often, even laugh out loud on occasion. Darcy is perfect as the main character and sleuth for the Elder. She is nosy, yet extremely likable, with plenty of wit and just a bit of attitude.

The books are a perfect blend of mystery and magic with just the slightest bit of romance thrown in. This one in particular is one of my favorites with a well thought out back story. I loved trying to figure out who the murderer was and this time my guess was wrong! I was truly surprised when it was finally revealed who the killer was.

Everything works out in the end, as it does it most of the series. I like it that way. I like knowing that when I curl up to read a Wishcraft Mystery, I am going to be completely engrossed in the story and walk away happy, eagerly awaiting the next book in the series. ( )
  Lagnella | Mar 4, 2016 |
Listened for Review (Tantor)
Overall Rating: 4.50
Story Rating: 4.75
Character Rating: 4.25

Audio Rating: 4.00 (not part of the overall rating)

First Thought when Finished: Some like it Witchy by Heather Blake was my favorite one in the series so far!

Quick Thoughts: I was wrong about who did it! DANG IT! Though to be honest that is how I like my mysteries-- a little twisty. I love the Wishcraft series and this was the strongest one of the bunch. Of course, all the crazy antics of Darcy (or more the people surrounding her) is what makes these golden. They are zany, twisty, and this one in particular went on a wild ride. I thought I had it figured out but then bam another curve. If you like cozies then I would totally recommend this as one to pick up!

Audio Thoughts:

Narrated By Coleen Marlo / Length: 7 hrs and 58 mins

Coleen is one of my favorite narrators. She just nails characters that have that extra bit of oomph to their personality. She has excellent pacing and emotional range too. I would totally recommend this on audio!

Part of my Read It, Rate It, File It, DONE! Reviews ( )
  thehistorychic | Jul 17, 2015 |
I have come to enjoy these return visits to the Enchanted Village, Heather Blake's tourist village that has practicing witches hiding in plain sight. Darcy stumbles onto yet another dead body while helping her friend Cherise look over a possible home purchase, which just isn't normal for anyone--human or witch. What makes this series of cozy mysteries fun is how well crafted the mystery is, both within the story and the series as a whole. Slowly, things are being revealed to both Darcy as a newcomer to the Enchanted Village and the reader. I always like the various magical crafting abilities of the characters, along with the animal familiars and the blossoming romance between Darcy and Nick. ( )
  ethel55 | Jun 19, 2015 |
For baby J with so much love, little one.
Something wicked this way came.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0451465881, Mass Market Paperback)

Wishcrafter Darcy Merriweather can charm desires into reality, but as the national bestselling Wishcraft mysteries continue, she won’t be able to magically avoid trouble when death holds an open house….

The Enchanted Village is abuzz when the old Tavistock house finally goes up for sale. Darcy’s friend Curecrafter Cherise Goodwin is hoping she will have the winning bid on the home, but Darcy can’t shake the feeling that something bad is about to happen—and her magical instincts are usually right.

Sure enough, while Darcy and Cherise are looking at the property, they discover real estate agent Raina Gallagher stone-cold dead on the floor. Clutched in her hand is a gemstone amulet and, on the wall above her, a large red A. While Raina had no shortage of enemies, there’s also a dark legend about the house itself. To track down the killer, Darcy must unlock the secrets of both the deceased and the estate—and she’ll need to act fast, because revenge is a deal that never closes.…

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:17:06 -0400)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,078,449 books! | Top bar: Always visible