Double Forte by Aaron Paul Lazar

Double Forte

by Aaron Paul Lazar

151647,891 (5)None

Gus LeGarde is one of my favorite fictional characters, a generous grandfather, good friend, grower of fine things, wonderful cook, and doggedly determined solver of mysteries. I’ve met him in several books now and enjoyed each adventure. But this one particularly pleases me because I finally learn how his wonderful brother-in-law came to lose his words, what happened to his first wife, and who his daughter was married to – which makes sense since this is a reissue of the first book in the series! Everything grows naturally from a deceptively quiet beginning where Sig carries a hungry dog out from the snow, to danger and terror when Gus gets drawn into a mystery at a neighbor’s home.

Rich with the scents of garden herbs, perfectly spiced and seasoned, filled with warmly three-dimensional characters, honest affection and dawning love, Double Forte builds on nicely told history and sociology, wonderful family relationships, and evocative scenery, carrying cozy mystery across into cozy romance and family drama. With a wonderful small boy rushing to great his grandfather, a wounded little girl hiding from everyone around her, a trusting daughter, wise friends and counsellors, great dogs and great dialog, Double Forte is a treat for readers who want to relax over a good book, enjoy a good drink, and feel inspired to try out some cooking when all’s said and saved.

Disclosure: I’d been meaning to read this for ages! ( )
1 vote SheilaDeeth | Mar 25, 2015 |

Gus LeGarde's life essentially ended four years ago, when his beloved wife leapt to her death. Today, Gus lavishes love on his family, trying to bury the pain. But trouble arrives when his arrogant son-in-law's business partner goes missing, and Gus's innocent friend is set up to take the fall."Double Fort" is a refreshing work of handcrafted beauty, even given its nail biting nature. Lazar has crafted an original character in LeGarde, one which I am very glad to learn has an entire series dedicated to him. I strongly recommend this book to all fans of James Patterson, Iris Johanson, and Mary Higgins Clark. You will not be disappointed." ~ Thomas Fortenberry, literary critic… (more)

Aaron Paul Lazar is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 125,766,138 books! | Top bar: Always visible