The Art of Work: A Proven Path to…

The Art of Work: A Proven Path to Discovering What You Were Meant to Do (2015)

by Jeff Goins

God's timing is perfect!
I was given this book by a friend after my life was flipped upside down. My Mom had died unexpectedly and a month later I lost my job because I was grieving the loss of my Mom. It was horrible and stressful and ... life changing. Friends were telling me to use the time to reflect on life and what was next but I was still mourning the loss of my life.

I started reading this book just to see what it was about, since a trusted friend gave it to me. It was perfect timing for me to read it and realize all that I have gone through recently can be seen as a gift by God for change and growth in my life!!

Adrianne ( )
  Adrianne_p | Jan 12, 2016 |
"The Art of Work" is one of the most honest self-help books I have ever read because it diverts from the "everything will be OK if you just think and plan it out" speech that occurs in almost every self-help book I've read. Goins was the first author that I read who said that the process to success would be messy. Not a little messy, but very messy as we figure out who we are and what we want to do. Goins goes beyond that to show that even if we do everything right, it can still end in failure or we can end in place that we still need to figure things out.

Despite all of this, "The Art of Work" says keep going.

It is this message that kept me reading this book as I encounter another difficult part of my life. Goins' book helped show me that the path to success is not easy, nor does it comes with signs. We are given promptings or "gut feelings" that lead us closer and closer to our next steps. I had never heard of that before in a self-help book.

The book is punctuated with many real-life stories (like Goins' other book "Wrecked") that show the complexities of success from the semi-confident writer taking a big leap (Jeff Goins) to the forest ranger who ended up working outside of the park industry.

The very last part of his book was a special treat, because it is both spiritual and very practical. I didn't expect it, but glad that he added it at the end of the book as a way of tying the whole process together.

I recommend his book for anyone who is tired of the same old "self-help" books and needs a more realistic, but optimistic approach to following your dreams.

I read the eBook version and would buy the print version.

Note: This book is based on an electronic version of the book provided for reviewing purposes. ( )
  thecharlesiwas | Jul 2, 2015 |
To my siblings: Nikki, Marissa, and Patrick.
May you make your mark on the world.
Introduction-
A calling is not some carefully crafted plan. It's what's left when the plan goes horribly wrong.

One June evening in 2000, Eric Miller skipped a company meeting to watch his five-year-old son play T-ball. During the game, he and his wife Nancy noticed their little Garrett was having problems placing the ball on the tee and couldn't seem to balance properly.
You don't "just know" what your calling is. You must first listen for clues along the way, discovering what your life can tell you. Awareness comes with practice.

The halls of Emory Hospital were particularly busy that day as Jody Noland navigated the crowds to locate her friend's room. She brushed past people visiting their loved ones, and a queasy thought came to her: How could something so terrible be happening to Larry?

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0718022076, Paperback)

Jeff Goins, a brilliant new voice counting Seth Godin and Jon Acuff among his fans, explains how to abandon the status quo and live a life that matters with true passion and purpose.

The path to your life’s work is difficult and risky, even scary, which is why few finish the journey. This is a book about discovering your life’s work, that treasure of immeasurable worth we all long for. It’s about the task you were born to do.

As Jeff Goins explains, the search begins with passion but does not end there. Only when our interests connect with the needs of the world do we begin living for a larger purpose. Those who experience this intersection experience something exceptional and enviable. Though it is rare, such a life is attainable by anyone brave enough to try.

Through personal experience, compelling case studies, and current research on the mysteries of motivation and talent, Jeff shows readers how to find their vocation and what to expect along the way.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:10:29 -0400)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,016,088 books! | Top bar: Always visible