How to Be Here: A Guide to Creating a Life…

How to Be Here: A Guide to Creating a Life Worth Living

by Rob Bell

A whole lot of anecdote and unresearched assertions. Well-meaning and affirming anecdotes and assertions, of course, but that's mostly all this book was. Maybe that works for you. Parts of it did mostly work for me. Parts of it annoyed me. Parts of it so clearly smacked of beliefs built entirely out of personal experience never checked by any actual studies.

Whatever. Not sure why I was expecting more. ( )
  greeniezona | Dec 6, 2017 |

Whatever. Not sure why I was expecting more. ( )
  greeniezona | Dec 1, 2017 |
Some nice insights - for me about your ikagi and WHEN it might feature in your life (i.e.: not in your day job!); craft v success (or process not outcome!); and your own life rhythm ( )
  mnorfolk49 | Nov 26, 2017 |
The subtitle is, ‘a guide to creating a life worth living’. The theme is of finding why we are here, and getting on with doing whatever it is. The paragraphs are short, the writing is simplistic in style. Yet the concepts are much deeper than is immediately obvious.

It’s divided into seven chapters; each of those has short sections, just two or three pages long. There are anecdotes from Rob Bell’s own life, including times when he got things wrong.

The book looks at creativity in a wide sweep of activities, from bringing up children to sweeping floors. It looks at our expectations, and our anxieties at producing something new. It talks of needing something to inspire us to get out of bed each morning. It makes the point that every one of us has a life and series of circumstances that has never before been experienced.

The worldview is Christian, as are many of the references (Bell is, after all, a pastor) but the principles could apply to people of any faith, or none. He refers to Scripture in a low-key way, but explanations are left to the notes at the back.

Recommended to anyone. ( )
  SueinCyprus | May 10, 2017 |
Can you judge a book by its cover? This one had a fairly simple message, here. The now. It had a zen calling to me so I read it. As it turned out I didn't know much about Rob Bell but I found out. He is or was a former minister and is now a speaker and author. I initially was turned off because I am not much of a religionist (apparently I am the author of that word), and am turned off by the preaching angle by these types.

On balance though I have to admit there were things I liked about this book and the message. Simply to step back and look at the now and appreciate that. Simple as can be yet so few understand or do. I liked the writing style which was simple to the point and nicely inter-spaced. I liked the soft sell on religion. One concept he introduced to me was ikigai. A Japanese that deals with finding your purpose or what turns you on to jump out of bed in the morning.

So, like so many of these spiritual, self help books what do you do with them, what to you make with them? For many, like myself probably nothing. But then again maybe they do make that subconscious impression that does make a subtle change in our lives. ( )
  knightlight777 | Dec 19, 2016 |

"The popular pastor and New York Times bestselling author of Love Wins and What We Talk About When We Talk About God shows us how to pursue and realize our dreams, live in the moment, and joyfully do the things that make us come alive.Each of us was created for something great--we just need to figure out what it is and find the courage to do it. Whether it's writing the next great American novel, starting a business, or joining a band, Rob Bell wants to help us make those dreams become reality. Our path is ours and ours alone to pursue, he reminds us, and in doing so, we derive great joy because we are living our passions.How to Be Here lays out concrete steps we can use to define and follow our dreams, interweaving engaging stories, lessons from biblical figures, insights gleaned from Rob's personal experience, and practical advice. Rob gives you the support and insight you need to silence your critics, move from idea to action, take the first step, find joy in the work, persevere through hard times, and surrender to the outcome.Like Stephen Pressfield's classic The War of Art, How to Be Here will inspire readers to seek the lives they were created to lead"--… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,987,125 books! | Top bar: Always visible