The Hesitant Heiress by Dawn Crandall

The Hesitant Heiress

by Dawn Crandall

204515,329 (4.6)None

Title: The Hesitant Heiress (The Everstone Chronicles #1)
Author: Dawn Crandall
Pages: 315
Year: 2014
Publisher: Whitaker House
My rating is 5 stars.
Nathan Everstone is a wealthy bachelor who has just returned from a two-year adventure out West. He left abruptly and everyone thought he would marry Nicholette Fairbanks upon his return. She certainly thinks so. However, Nathan has returned a changed man and has no intention of marrying Nicholette. He has his eye on another heiress, but she wants nothing to do with him. He can’t understand that as he usually has no problem charming women and gaining their attention. He is determined to win her hand and she is just as determined that he won’t.
Amaryllis Brigham is practically a spinster at the age of 25. She has no desire to marry, but upon being kicked out of music school she arrives at her wealthy aunt’s home and soon discovers she is heir to lots of money. There is only one catch…in order to gain the money she needs to marry within one year of leaving music school. Amaryllis doesn’t like all the parties and social gossip that goes on in “polite” society. She was raised on a horse farm for fourteen years and longs to return there to start her own music school, but she can’t do that if she is broke. Nathan Everstone seems to be everywhere she turns and he is getting under her long-held defenses. Can she sell herself in marriage to gain her dream of a returning home and starting a music school?
This was one fantastic story! I was pulled in from page one until the end. The characters were likeable and I was emotionally invested in the outcome of the story. Nathan now relies on God and His will for his life whereas before Nathan did whatever he pleased with no thought to anyone or anything other than himself to those who saw him publically. Those who knew him best always saw the good in him, but since his return from Washington they have seen a different man. His pursuit of Amaryllis was admirable. He didn’t give up because he believed God wanted them to be together and that he was following God’s will. Their romance was just a joy to watch unfold. Great job Dawn!! I’ve already started reading book two in the series, The Bound Heart, as I couldn’t wait to read Meredyth’s story. Stay tuned for that review right here soon! ( )
  lcjohnson1988 | Sep 21, 2016 |
I admit it. I am a bit behind in my reading. About a year behind! That’s when Dawn Crandall published her first novel in the Everstone Chronicles, The Hesitant Heiress. Dawn has been busily writing and now has three published novels and a fourth set to release in September. I’m waaay behind! But I am steadily catching up. Thanks to Dawn, I finally got a chance to read the book that has been causing lots of buzz all over the book blogosphere since it debuted. Here are some of my thoughts.

The Hesistant Heiress takes place during the Gilded Age in the homes and playgrounds of the rich — Boston and Bar Harbor. The inexperienced and newly proclaimed heiress, Amaryllis Brigham, finds herself settled into wealth and luxury. Having spent her young life on a ranch in the wilds of Washington and then sheltered in schools in Boston, Amaryllis is unfamiliar with the trappings of the super-wealthy. She also has no desire to be caught up in the schemes that would find her married and the recipient of her grandparents’ vast fortune. Amaryllis only wants to return to her beloved home state and open a music conservatory. But as she and others soon find out, man may make his plans, but God is the director of the steps.

For those who love historical romance, The Hesitant Heiress is the perfect choice. Dawn has created intriguing and endearing characters that steal your heart. Swoon-worthy hero, Nathan Everstone, is an extremely attractive character and Amaryllis will appeal to those who like their heroines determined and independent, but with a bit of vulnerability. You know you want to be swept up and swept away! Dawn does a wonderful job of weaving spiritual truths into her love story. The relationships between earthly fathers and their children almost always impact how we view our heavenly Father. In Amaryllis’ case, the abandonment and inconsistency of her father keeps her from fully trusting and surrendering to God. But perception is not always truth, as Amaryllis and readers find out. Mystery and intrigue surround Amaryllis making for a page-turning experience, especially near the end.

I have 2 more books to dive into before the release of The Cautious Maiden in September. All books are connected by the characters, but can be read as standalones. I am certainly looking forward to experiencing more drama, romance and true love with Dawn Crandall.

Recommended.

Audience: adults.

(Thanks to the author and publisher for a review copy. All opinions expressed are mine alone.) ( )
  vintagebeckie | Aug 18, 2016 |
Now, imagine how you felt when you read some of Jane Austen's novels, the misunderstood leading man or how the wit and disbelief of our heroine created wonderful dialogue between them. Well, you'll find a good amount of that in Dawn Crandall's The Hesitant Heiress of The Everstone Chronicles series. The Hesitant Heiress drew me in, first with its beautiful cover, and then with her description of high society in the late 1800s, giving readers a glimpse into the world of aristocrats and ladies in search of a husband. (Does that not remind you of a certain quote from Jane Austen's Pride & Prejudice). However, the true heart-clutching aspects was the love between Nathan Everstone and Amaryllis Brigham. It took me a little more time for me to love Amaryllis (she's so bent on not believing anything Nathan says!!!!), but her wit throughout finally took hold. With Nathan, it's a different story. His brooding good looks, intense stares, and tongue-and-cheeky comments had done its magic - if not on Amaryllis, definitely on me. In truth, the animated banters with moments of steamy interactions (in a clean romantic sense) created a world that is only Nathan and Amaryllis, and you as the reader looking on. O, beautiful is just an understatement.

"What do you think you're doing?" I was still helpless to move, let alone breathe. His strong hands encircled my wait, pulling me close. "I believe I'm finally going to kiss you."

This review first appeared on Just Commonly Blog.

NOTE: I received a copy of this book for an honest review. All opinions expressed are my own. For my review policy, please see my Disclosure page. ( )
  justcommonly | Apr 18, 2016 |
Dawn has created a captivating world where her characters are faced with decisions of the heart in a society full of rules and consequences. Amaryllis is a woman finding her place in her environment seeking answers to her doubts and guilt. I had the opportunity to follow The Hesitant Heiress in a critique group. I love the final published work. Well done! I'm ready to read the next one. ( )
  MargueriteMartinGray | Feb 17, 2016 |

"After being unjustly expelled from the Boston Conservatory of Music, Amaryllis Brigham sees her dreams of founding a music academy in her hometown of Seattle, Washington, disappearing before her very eyes. Now, the only way to achieve her goal comes with high stakes for someone set on avoiding men as much as possible: Marry within the year to inherit the immense fortune of her estranged grandmother. Amaryllis reluctantly moves in to her aunt's Boston home and rubs shoulders with fashionable society. Despite her own misgivings, she soon finds herself quickly falling in love with the most unlikely of men--Nathan Everstone, the envy of every eligible female, whose father has haunted her dreams for the decade following her mother's tragic death. However, Nathan turns out to be much more than he seems...and everything she never knew she wanted. But just as everything Amaryllis has recently hoped for comes to fruition, it all falls apart when she finds that the real culprit who has been managing her life isn't who she thought at all."--Amazon.com… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,739,798 books! | Top bar: Always visible