Havoc (The Blackwell Files Book 4) by Steven…

Havoc (The Blackwell Files Book 4)

by Steven F. Freeman

Someone has secretly copied the files of a breakthrough computer storage solution. The affected company sends people to try and retrieve the stolen files. The thief, an insider, is killed in Rome, which sets off a sequence of events for all concerned. In my opinion, the story does not achieve the high suspense you would normally expect of a thriller, instead it is more pedestrian and predictable, particularly as you follow all the players. I felt it would be more suspenseful if there was a more limited point of view, such as just sticking with the main protagonist Alton Blackwell. I also thought that the story continued on too long after the revelation of the perpetrators. The story was enjoyable but I am only prepared to give it 3 stars.

A few points that I found a little irritating:

1. The people searching for the stolen files talk about recovering them. However, given that the files were copied surely what they need to do is ensure that any copies have been destroyed. The latter is a difficult task in itself as they have no idea how many copies have been made.
2. The Italian police address the women as Miss or Mrs, but in reality they are more likely to say Signorina or Signora. In general, the use of Italian does not seem quite right, e.g. "mi amico" when an Italian is more likely to say just “amico", and the singular of "panini" is "panino".
3. There are a few minor edit misses, e.g. Blackwell is given a Baretta by Rossi but at one stage it is referred to as a Glock. ( )
  Bruce_McNair | Nov 6, 2016 |
This is the first book by this author that I've read. Even though this is the fourth book in the series, I was easily able to know who was who and what their roles were. I liked Alton and Mallory from the start, even though I didn't like everything they did. I liked the high tech storyline and how the author had multiple storylines that all intersected and tied together. I didn't guess many of the plot twists before they were revealed.

I am not sure if it was only the Italian setting and romance between Alton and Mallory that made this book likeable for me. I read a bit of the preview of the next book in the series and it didn't strike me as much so as this book did--so I do not know if I would like the series as a whole. ( )
  JenniferRobb | Jan 17, 2016 |
I finished this book but it was a struggle. There was too much dialogue between the characters and it verged on cheesy sometimes. Real people don't talk like that. The idea was good; the stolen technology etc. but everyone was portrayed as inefficient apart from the two main characters. This is the only book I've read from the series and I don't want to read more about this annoying pair of individuals. ( )
  scot2 | May 8, 2015 |

Steven F. Freeman is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,415,371 books! | Top bar: Always visible