Wired by Julie Garwood

Julie Garwood follows a formula and it works every time. Great, fun book. I raced through it ( big sigh) and now I have to wait for her next book. ( )
  kimkimkim | Aug 21, 2017 |
This was a great book like always. I have never been disappointed with a suspense book of Julie Garwoods. I loved the suspense and the romance. I really liked Allison and Liam. They work well together. I did not want to put this 5 star book down. I received a copy of this book from Firsttoread for a fair and honest opinion that I gave of my own free will. ( )
  Virginia51 | Jul 9, 2017 |
Wired by Julie Garwood is a 2017 Berkley publication.

After a long absence between Julie Garwood novels, I picked this series back up not so long ago. I love romantic suspense, but the twelfth installment was only an okay read for me. I was hoping this one would make up for that.

Allison has a real knack for hacking computers, but despite the illegality of it, she only does it to right wrongs. She has also found success as a model, but her hard earned money all goes to her aunt and uncle who took her in after her parents died.

Working her way through college, Allison suddenly finds herself being strong armed into working for the FBI by Liam Scott.

Liam discovered there was a leak in his department, so he set out to find a top-notch hacker. Allison Trent is the definitely the woman for the job, but Liam is about to get much more than he bargained for.

This book got off on the right foot, has some real potential involving the FBI leak, and made use of some comical situations. I like offbeat, genius characters, and right at this moment in time, I could use a fast- paced story, with some quick -witted dialogue, and a unique plot line. But, for some reason, Allison frustrated me. She put up with Phillips, her cousin, Will, and her aunt and uncle for far too long. Liam was also a little bossy, and held Allison at arm's length emotionally, and I thought she deserved much better.

I wanted Allison to be more assertive, to stop taking crap off people, but the other parts of the story were pretty interesting. Allison has more than one threat thrown her way, and the way it came together added a little action and a few small twists to keep things interesting.

The chemistry between Liam and Allison was bland, sex based, without much romance or deep emotional connection, which is the same problem I took issue with in book twelve, if I’m remembering correctly.

So, once again, an okay read for this series. It did have some entertaining moments, and was a nice diversion from reality, which is always nice.

3 stars ( )
  gpangel | Jul 2, 2017 |
Review can also be found in https://chillandreadblog.wordpress.com/2017/06/22/wired-by-julie-garwood-bookreview/

“Wired” is a mind blowing book by Julie Garwood!

Allison Trent, a beautiful, hot and amazing college student is on her senior year. When she’s not studying, writing code or hacking around she is modeling for a fashion designer. She has a mind that is wired different to other people, more like a computer itself, therefore she gets along with her laptop!

Liam Scott on the other side is a hotshot FBI agent with a leak to attend to. He needs this sorted out quick, if only for the bureau’s smooth operation and flawless case handling. He has to get Allison on his team, if he wants to stop that person that leaks case information all over the media. Only that she does not want to be part of this, as she does not want Agent Scott to find out about her secrets in her hacking world.

The book is written in two point view, Allison’s and Liam’s while it mostly provides Allison’s view. It is a rather complicated story that involves many different aspects. The author uses the approach to give more into what Allison is like, her character and her behavior in each incident. She is not the girl next door, that’s for sure. She is displayed as a really beautiful woman, a head turner actually, while she has the brains of Einstein or close! Usually nerds don’t have an amazing appearance and this is what the author wanted to shout. Great looks does not necessarily mean no brain! On the other hand, big brains does not necessarily mean no feelings or sensitivity!

The hero in the story is a very clever and very musculling one. He is an FBI agent and an Alpha male by definition. He is highly respected in his field of work and he is overprotecting when it comes to the woman he loves; even though he doesn’t want to admit that he has so deep feelings for her .

The different incidents that were used to fill in the puzzle were a nice touch to the story. The author used different angles to add to it, which was really enjoyable. It was also great that it was not all into the hacking, coding and computer talking, unlike many other books. Therefore average readers could understand the plot without having to google the terms!

The pace was a plus as well! It started a bit slow, to provide the reader with all views in the game and then it went faster and intriguing! The romance was blended with the mystery pretty nicely providing an interesting and suspense read. ( )
  GeorgiaKo | Jun 22, 2017 |
I really didn't get a whole lot out of this book. Julie Garwood is an author that I have been wanting to read for ages so when I saw this book offed on First to Read, I jumped at the chance to read it. I ended up being completely underwhelmed by the story. I had no trouble getting through the book but there was never a moment where I couldn't wait to see what was going to happen next. I just never really got hooked by the story and in the end it was really pretty forgettable.

Allison is the focus of this story. She is an incredibly smart programmer finishing up her last year of college. She is also a model because of course she has to be drop dead gorgeous. She was raised by her aunt and uncle along with her sister after her parents died. She didn't get a lot of support growing up and her family make her life very difficult.

Liam is an FBI agent. He travels all over the world cleaning up problems and he thinks that Allison can help him clean up his current problem. There is a computer leak in the government and he wants her to help him find it. He is very protective of Allison since she is his asset and seems to know just what to say and do when things go wrong.

I really didn't have a whole lot of feelings for any of the characters. Liam would be missing for big sections of the book and really felt like a stereotype when he was in the story. He is the super cool FBI guy there to save the day but we really don't get to know a whole lot about him. Allison was way too perfect and her character just never really felt completely developed. I never felt that wow factor between them that I look for in a romance.

I think that this book probably had too much going on. If Liam and Allison could have focused on the FBI case, that would have probably been enough. In addition to that, Allison's family has went absolutely crazy and her former roommate is causing all kinds of problems. The funny thing is that everyone in this book seems to screw up and then blame Allison for it. Everything in the world is probably Allison's fault.

This story is told from both Allison's and Liam's points of view. It was strange though because the points of view would just switch from paragraph to paragraph without any notice. You would be learning what Allison thought about something and then suddenly you are in Liam's head. I found that this style didn't work out very well for me and I would keep looking back to see which point of view had just read. It just all seemed very odd to me.

I wouldn't recommend this book to others. It is readable and I am sure that some readers will enjoy it more than I did. I just found it to be a lackluster overall story. I would like to read some of Julie Garwood's earlier works at some point.

I received an advance reader edition of this book from Berkley Publishing Group via First to Read. ( )
  Carolesrandomlife | Jun 16, 2017 |

A beautiful computer genius and a bad-boy FBI agent must collaborate—in more ways than one—in the sexy, suspenseful new novel from #1 New York Times bestselling author Julie Garwood.

Allison Trent has always had a special talent for computers. When she’s not cleaning up after her troublemaker younger brother, Jason, she spends her days writing code and navigating the intricacies of the Internet. In fact, she’s working on a new program that will revolutionize the tech industry, and when she attends a prominent seminar, word begins to spread.

FBI agent Liam Scott discovers how brilliant Allison is and wants her to help hunt down a cyber criminal he’s been after for two years. He invites her to tour the bureau’s state-of-the-art cybercenter in Boston. Once she arrives, he thinks he can convince her to join the team.

But Allison doesn’t want to work for the government—until Liam makes an offer she can’t refuse: work for the FBI for one year, and they will expunge Jason’s illustrious criminal record.

Allison tries to deny her growing attraction to Liam, but just before her year in the FBI is over, she discovers someone has stolen the computer program she developed. Now she needs Liam’s help in tracking down the thief. And as they begin to close in on the culprit, they also begin to give in to each other...

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:10:19 -0400)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,083,659 books! | Top bar: Always visible