Shadows Strike by Dianne Duvall

Though the heroine is able to read other peoples thoughts, she's never before possessed the ability to see the future but for a year now, she's had the same recurring dream involving vampires and guns and a very sexy dark stranger. Thinking is was just a dream, she's horrified to find herself face to face with her vision and battling vampires. Rattled to her core and completely confused about her reality, she has the sexy hero to rely upon. More beautiful in person and smelling absolutely delicious, she trusts him right off the bat regardless of the fact that he's a vampire himself. There's just something about him that inspires the heroine to believe him when he says he'll keep her safe and a connection forms between them instantly and is deeper then any bond she's ever felt with another person. They spend the night together, just enjoying each others company and in the night, he's gone. Two weeks pass before the hero finally gathers a plausible enough reason to visit her though he's thought about her nearly every waking second. There he arrives just in time to save her from a horde of vampires who appear to have been looking to kidnap her. Knowing there's no way he can leave her unprotected, the heroine is brought to the compound and into the world of vampires and the Immortals who hunt them. She isn't afraid of these men and woman, but rather excited and interested in learning about them and their powers. And she grows closer and closer to the hero with every passing day, falling for him quickly despite their short acquaintance. But when military compound begin to be targeted by the vampire enemy, the heroines father comes into the fold. As a general and a human he's ignorant of the vampires existence but the immortals need his assistance in fighting the common enemy and the hero must somehow convince him that he's worthy of the man's daughter. I must apologize if this review is flat and uninspiring but that's how the plot line felt like. It was far from anything special and in fact I found myself skimming through a lot of it. It felt like the same old story from the books previous- fighting vampires and falling in love. Though I did enjoy the two main characters love affair and thought it was really sweet and sugar coated, I did find it a bit one noted. There was zero conflict in their relationship- they didn't even really fight about anything though the hero raised his voice at time when she was in danger, other than those few occasions, the met they fell in love and they banged. And that was it. I wanted something deeper. I wanted passion and drama not just a story with an A B C format. I found it lacking in that department but I can't say I disliked it because I didn't. I felt it rated a healthily 2 1/2 stars- ungraded to a 3- neither outstanding nor horrible. Middle of the rung. ( )
  Eden00 | May 14, 2016 |
I really liked this one, full review to come. This is one series that I *impatiently* await sequels to, and there are so many secondary characters I'd like to see get their own books! I'm dying to see Seth find someone!!!

***Review copy provided by the publisher via NetGalley in exchange for my honest review*** ( )
  Chrystina.Williams | Dec 4, 2015 |
Quick & Dirty: She can read minds, he is an immortal guardian and together they have to try and stop armageddon.

Opening Sentence: “Fog stole across the ground and curled cool fingers around Heather Lane’s ankles.”

Excerpt: Yes

The Review:

Heather Lane has been having the same dream over and over again. She is killing vampires with another vampire in this clearing every night. Then she wakes up, until one time while reading a book her dream actually comes true and she meets Ethan. Ethan is an Immortal Guardian, which is like a normal vampire but better. They seem to have certain powers, faster, better hearing, all the norms except it also applies to vampires as well. Heather is blown away to realize vampires are real, despite the fact that she actually reads minds and is what Ethan calls a gifted human.

I thought it was grand they made her sign a confidentiality agreement to keep her quiet about vampires. Soon Zach the leader of the Immortal Guardians finds out that she isn’t having premonitions, the visions have been implanted in her head. They assume the other has done this, I will say they are wrong but it would be a spoiler to reveal who is actually behind this. Soon all of her worlds collide when her father calls her to interview the sole survivor of an attack.

The survivor swears that vampires attacked and killed everyone at his base, and Heather knows he is telling the truth. Soon all is revealed to her father and the Guardians and General Lane work together to thwart further attacks against the military. All the while Heather and Ethan fall more deeply in love!

I know it will not shock you to know I haven’t read this series either, all in my defense I have avoided vampires for awhile except for my trusty series I am already invested in. However, that being said, I think some things were a little confusing because I haven’t read the other five books, but that is because of the larger background story. Other than that, I found it was easy to dive in and not be overwhelmed with all the missing facts making it hard to connect to the story. I loved Heather, she is pretty bad ass! Even in her dream she doesn’t really hesitate before slaying some vampires and that’s before she even knows they are real.

So yes, I am a fan, and adding the other books to my overwhelming to read list! If you are already a fan of this series, it’s a great continuation, all the of Immortal Guardians make multiple appearances in this book. If you are new to this series it’s a pretty good vampire series to add to your list!

Notable Scenes:

“A human born with special abilities other humans don’t possess.”

“She had super advanced DNA.”

“As Ethan turned, the vampire lowered his head and buried his fangs in her neck.”

“Ethan tried to hold his shit together for Heather’s sake, but soon bellowed from the pain until darkness opened its gaping maw and swallowed him whole.”

“Heather nodded, knowing no medication on the planet would alter the fact that vampires had just destroyed a U.S. military base.”

Immortal Guardians:

5. Night Unbound

5.5 On the Hunt

6. Shadows Strike

crow4

FTC Advisory: Zebra/Kensington provided me with a copy of Shadows Strike. No goody bags, sponsorships, “material connections,” or bribes were exchanged for my review. ( )
  DarkFaerieTales | Nov 8, 2015 |
I so happy that Ethan got his HEA; he deserved it after watching his love pick someone else. To see him get his chance with Heather was a good thing. Although, it was kinda sudden. This book was full of fast paced action and plenty of drama.

Thanks to Netgalley for the ARC. ( )
  amdrane2 | Aug 23, 2015 |
The Immortal Guardians are back in SHADOWS STRIKE and it's Ethan's turn for love. He definitely deserves it and it was great following Ethan and Heather's story.

Heather never imagined that her dreams would come true and that they would thrust her into a life she never imagined, but she jumps in head first and has a remarkably easy time adapting to her new reality. I have liked all the woman who have joined the series, but there was something about Heather that really drew me into her character. I already know that I will love seeing her in future books and finding out what she is up to. Ethan thought he loved Lisette, but being around Heather quickly shows him that he was wrong. Their romance is hot from the beginning and they fit really well together. They became one of my favorite couples of the series very quickly.

As with all the books in this series, there was PLENTY of action, suspense and drama to keep me on my toes. The secondary characters continue to be a key aspect of every Immortal Guardians book. There is new conflict sprouting up and new allies join the guardians cause at every turn including one you would never suspect. I can never get enough of the Immortal Guardians and their love stories. I wish they came out faster, but I know perfection takes time. SHADOWS STRIKE will have to hold me over until next year.

* This book was provided free of charge from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review. ( )
  STACYatUFI | Aug 19, 2015 |

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,926,211 books! | Top bar: Always visible