Addicted to Busy: Recovery for the Rushed…

Addicted to Busy: Recovery for the Rushed Soul

by Brady Boyd

An approachable and relatable book written by a mega-church pastor. The premise is that in the U.S., we get all hung up on measuring our lives, our worth, and even our Godliness on the wrong things. In short, the busier, the better.

This book tries to dispel that and makes the case that God endorses and actively encourages rest, in fact established the Sabbath purposefully and intentionally. The reason: when we rest, we are listening, refocusing and retuning our lives and activities to Him and not for pursuits we deem important.

It's targeted to the Christian reader community; however, there is value even to open-non-Christians in the message.

The message itself is one many of us (myself included) need to hear and it's made very clearly and directly. The author's writing style is conversational and self-deprecating.

He owns his own imperfections in this area, which makes it an easy book to digest and absorb and a message that's attainable, even for those of us who aren't pastors or church leaders. He also provides concrete action steps to improve, reset the busy-ness of our daily lives, and appreciate time to chill with God, without distractions.

The downside of the book is that it rehashes the same point over and over again. It seems like it's really a longform article, stretched into book length to satisfy the publishing contract. ( )
  angiestahl | May 1, 2018 |

We are all spread too thin, taking on more than we can handle, trying to do so much—almost as if we are afraid that if we were to take a moment of rest, we might discover that all our busyness is covering up an essential lack in our lives.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:16:12 -0400)

"We are all spread too thin, taking on more than we can handle, trying to do so much--almost as if we are afraid that if we were to take a moment of rest, we might discover that all our busyness is covering up an essential lack in our lives. But God never meant for us to be so busy. God desires for us to have rest and peace. Brady Boyd shows you how to live a life that embraces stillness and solitude, so you can find the peace that God wants for you."--Page 4 of cover.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 127,147,698 books! | Top bar: Always visible